Taurus Firearm Forum banner

pt 111 g2

3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  wildbilloh 
#1 ·
Can you safley carry this with a loaded chamber and the saftey off ?

#4 ·
I carry mine in an Alien Gear IWB holster (right now as a matter of fact) and the safety is on. Get into some competitions such as USPSA or IDPA and you will get in the habit and practice of sweeping the safety off as you draw and present the pistol.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

Reactions: Bellows1 and vboy36
#5 ·
I would engage the safety and learn to use it by dry-fire draw practice while disengaging the safety.

#6 ·
Since I rotate Glocks, a Kahr CM45, a PT 738, plus a couple of revolvers which don't have safeties, I carry my PT 111 and 24/7 G2 with the safety off for continuity. Remember, it is safe to carry most firearms with the safety off as long as you don't inadvertently pull the trigger.:eek:

#7 ·
Just as someone has to learn the instinct to sweep off the safety while drawing the gun, it is imperative to unlearn the instinct to try and catch a falling object should the gun find it way off the nightstand or out of the holster.

Reactions: Bellows1 and vboy36
#8 ·
Can you safely carry this with a loaded chamber and the safety off ?
I think it is safer to carry/store the pistol in safety-on position. I wanted a pistol with a manual safety (I have carried a revolver and a SW Model 915) so I am anxious when I have a striker fired pistol with a trigger pull, though not lite by any means, is much lighter than my two other handguns. I like having a round in the chamber and the safety is very easy to disengage, flick of the thumb. Practice at the range and dry firing. Having said that, I have carried this gun with the safety off and a round in the chamber, and as mentioned, it is safe to do that, but I am going to return to the safety-on position, liking that extra layer of safety and knowing how easy it is to disengage the safety. As noted on this thread, I carry the gun in a collapsible holster (Sticky Holster) store in my shoulder bag when not carrying where it could easily slip out of the holster, and I keep a round in the chamber, all good reasons to have the manual safety engaged, IMO. Sorry I am not as succinct as the other more experienced gun handlers but your post hit a nerve with me and I have found that it is an age old question: safety on safety off or no safety at all. Congrats on choosing a terrific self defense weapon! Enjoy

#9 ·
I guess this is a case where the long trigger pull would be an advantage?

#10 ·
Apologies to those who've read this story before...I had a Springfield XD40 subcompact. Great gun, and I like that it had a grip safety... Then one day I decided to see what I had to do to get a (simulated) negligent discharge while holstering. Someone had posted a thread about a guy who shot himself in the leg because of a leather holster that must have stretched or something, developed a wrinkle, and the wrinkle in the leather got inside the triggerguard. So I emptied my XD, double checked that it was empty, put on the holster and got to work. I was so shocked at how easy it was, I sold the XD within days and got a PT740. I use the safety.Unless it's a true DAO, I won't carry a gun without a thumb safety. And I sure as heck won't carry a gun whose only safey is on the trigger.

#18 ·
Apologies to those who've read this story before...I had a Springfield XD40 subcompact. Great gun, and I like that it had a grip safety... Then one day I decided to see what I had to do to get a (simulated) negligent discharge while holstering. Someone had posted a thread about a guy who shot himself in the leg because of a leather holster that must have stretched or something, developed a wrinkle, and the wrinkle in the leather got inside the triggerguard. So I emptied my XD, double checked that it was empty, put on the holster and got to work. I was so shocked at how easy it was, I sold the XD within days and got a PT740. I use the safety.Unless it's a true DAO, I won't carry a gun without a thumb safety. And I sure as heck won't carry a gun whose only safey is on the trigger.
How were you able to get the grip safety to depress one direction and the trigger safety to depress the other? Just curious as I have an XDm 3.8 and one of the things I love about it is the push/pull safety system in order for the gun to discharge. Granted this is not a carry gun for me, but still curious.

#12 ·
I trained with a 1911 back when Jeff Cooper was Head Pundit in Charge, so I'm used to sweeping off the safety. A fully loaded G2 will be a fully cocked G2, and the "pre-release travel" of a fully cocked G2 trigger is too light IMO to be considered as safe as a true double action trigger. The safety of a true double action trigger requires a heavy trigger pull through a substantial amount of travel, not whisper-weight travel and then a sudden release. IMO, this trigger is far more like a cocked 1911 than a double-action revolver or a DA/SA semi-auto.

#15 · (Edited)
Obviously with the right holster you can safely carry it without the safety on. I have an Aliengear IWB cloak tuck 3.0 and it has a guard over the trigger so it is virtually impossible for it to go off. Also the trigger pull is so hard on this handgun so I really don't worry. Now if your talking about carrying just in your waistband with no holster, I would definitely use the safety haha

#16 ·
Especially if it's appendix carry!

#21 · (Edited)
I don't know if it's a matter of trust in the gun per se, or not. I just know from other peoples bad experiences that things other than fingers can sometimes get into the trigger guard area. It's not that you can't be safe without a safety, it's just an extra layer of safety. Of course the potential downside is forgetting to push off the safety after it's drawn. Some people will tell you that safeties are bad because in a defensive gun use you will forget to disengage the safety. I've had a couple of DGU's with a 1911 style handgun, so I know the "will" part is simply not true. You "might" forget, or you might not. I trained so that it was an automatic thing, not something I had to consciously tell myself to do.

As far as the LCP, I don't have one but I know a couple of people that do. In both of those cases the people put the gun in the holster first, then put the holster on. One is a pocket holster, the other is an IWB. Although reholstering after a DGU might be an issue, there's no law that says you have to reholster before the police get there anyway. You can always place the gun down somewhere, not in your hands, but under your control, within your potential reach. Or if you have the chance and time, to reholster the same way you initially did it.

#22 · (Edited)
For me, a manual safety is essential in a carry weapon. That's one of the reasons I bought a PT-111 G2.
Some people think that it is safety enough to train not to put your finger on the trigger until you intend to shoot. I would rather train to release the safety every time I raise the gun to a target.
In the heat of a gun fight, with your heart pounding and adrenaline pumping, it would be too easy to squeeze off a round while you draw your weapon and either shoot yourself, or an innocent bystander.
At the range I warm up with a couple magazines of slow, concentrated, single-shot target shooting.
Then I shoot several magazines where I lower my weapon and put the safety on, then raise the weapon while releasing the safety between each shot.
Then I do several magazines of double-taps where I lower the gun and put the safety on between each cycle.
You can do whatever you like, but this is what I feel comfortable with.

#24 ·
I open carry my G2 and always have one in the chamber and the safety OFF. The G2 is the only gun I own with a manual safety as a matter of fact. Keep you booger pickers off the bang switch and you'll never have a problem. If your worried about an accidental discharge, I suggest you get some training.

The G2 is a great gun and I have trained hard with it. It works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.