Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Two FTEs with our new G2

6K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  JimDawgFan1955 
#1 ·
We have two Millenium G2s. The first one I bought used from an LGS and it has been flawless. The previous owner took good care of it and the shop gave it a thorough cleaning before I took it home.

Our second one one was bought new at our local Cabelas. It was factory fresh and still in the plastic bag with all the factory oil and such on it. I field stripped it and cleaned it up with Break Free CLP. Unfortunately, on our first range day with it we had two failures to eject within the first three mags. We ran out of shooting time that day, so I took it apart and cleaned it up real good again. We haven't had a chance to shoot it since then, however.

I'm hoping it was just a breaking-in issue that will go away as we shoot it more. But I was curious if any of y'all have had similar problems when your G2's were brand-new.

#35 ·
Today I put the 1000th round of Walmart Perfecta through each of my G2 pistols without cleaning and without a failure to go boom and cycle every round. This is the 2nd time I've put a 1000 rounds of Perfecta through each gun without cleaning and without a single failure in either one.

I've been shooting only Walmart Perfecta, Winchester (T)train, and Winchester (D)efend for the last five or six thousand rounds. Prior to that I was alternating Perfecta and WWB, but I always had about 1% of hard primers with the WWB.

Today, though, I shot of the last of my Perfecta, and it doesn't look like the Walmarts around here are going to stock it any longer. I'll probably start shooting a higher percentage of Winchester (which costs about 50% more than Perfecta) and maybe some Federal aluminum.

#37 ·
I've had zero issues with the Perfecta Ammo. Unfortunately, the supply of Perfecta has just about dried up around here. All I can find is some 40 and 38Spl. No 9mm or 380 at any of the 5 area stores.

I picked up some of the Winchester Train and Defend ammo yesterday and will give it a try in my PT-111 the first of the week. It's about 50% more than the perfecta. And, that's if you can find it at Walmart. I haven't found a good source, online, for the Winchester T&D ammo.

Reactions: TheSharkMan
#48 ·
They make a low-priced aluminum line, but Walmart sells both Federal aluminum and Federal brass.

#53 ·
Regarding the case materials, all the issues I had with our gun was with brass cartridges. Some were nickel plated brass. I've stayed away from using either steel or aluminum in all my guns for as long as I can remember.

#56 · (Edited)
I sometimes forget that used guns need cleaning and lube before shooting the first time. I bought an old Walther P1 from the 1960's this year that had very little use. Based on the internal wear patterns when I first bought the gun (as compared to now), I'd say it had no more than two mags of ammo through it, if that. Gun looked clean, so I didn't clean and lube prior to shooting. BUT it was very dry. After the first mag, I had jams at an increasing rate. Took it home, cleaned and lubed it, and now it works flawless. Could also have been break in, too, due to low round count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.