Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus Mil Pro 9 versus Bersa Thunder 9 UC

I have been looking for a CCW (concealed carry weapon) and narrowed down my choice to these two pistols. They don't seem to be available at this time. I am researching from this website and from the Bersa website for more information on the differences and similarities between these two pistols.

The price is about the same but may change once they become available. Barrel length, overall length and magazine capacity are also about the same. I understand Bersa has a decocker and Taurus does not have. I have not held nor fire both pistols , so I have no idea how they shoot or carry.

Appreciate your thoughts on the pros and cons, difference in features, how they shoot, how they carry etc.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times

Re: Taurus Mil Pro 9 versus Bersa Thunder 9 UC

The Bersa will weigh about 6 oz more and hold 2 less rounds. Taurus has the 809 model (not sure if its available yet) that will be more like the Bersa, with an exposed hammer and decocker.
    I am just switching from Beretta 85b (380) to a Pt-111 Pro (9mm) as a carry gun. I carried my Beretta loaded with hammer at half cock and safety on. The thumb safety in the Pt-Pro allows me to feel a little easier carrying with round in chamber.
    If you desire the hammer, then the Pro is not for you.
    Its a change for me, but I like the PT-111.

ADN
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

I faced the same choice and decided on the Taurus PT111 over the Bersa because the Taurus just felt better in my hand and was lighter in weight. My thinking was the lighter the pistol the more likely I would be to carry it. I also prefered a striker fired pistol over one with an exposed hammer which I felt could get caught up on something while being drawn. Although I do wish the PT111 had the ability to be decocked making the first shot DA I am very comfortable with the safety. I am also left-handed; the Bersa has an ambidextrious safety and slide release which for me was HUGE but in the end I still decided on the Taurus.
    PT1911B
    PT111 Pro
    PT738
    Ruger P95
    Beretta U22 Neos

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i had bersa 380,bought a pt111 pro,so far i love it.no hammer is no big deal thought it would be but you dont miss it.my first polymer gun and so far have nothing bad to say about it.i carry it in a fobus holster.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

not what you asked, but i traded up from a bersa .380 to a milpro 111. i did it for a reason. i've trusted taurus for many years, and they've never let me down.
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow!, This is an old discussion and may not even be active or an issue anymore but, I just saw it and thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I have the Taurus Millinium Pro 9mm and have carried it on occasion. If you aren't going to carry with a shell in the chamber what's the point. I do not like to carry this handgun because I have had the safety move to the off position by just rubbing against my body and since the trigger action is very light to fire the gun I was afraid it may discharge with the slightest bump. At least with the Bersa Thunder Pro UC and decocked it takes a lot more action on the part of the user to actually discharge the firearm should the safety move to the off position. Just my opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ADN View Post
    I faced the same choice and decided on the Taurus PT111 over the Bersa because the Taurus just felt better in my hand and was lighter in weight. My thinking was the lighter the pistol the more likely I would be to carry it. I also prefered a striker fired pistol over one with an exposed hammer which I felt could get caught up on something while being drawn. Although I do wish the PT111 had the ability to be decocked making the first shot DA I am very comfortable with the safety. I am also left-handed; the Bersa has an ambidextrious safety and slide release which for me was HUGE but in the end I still decided on the Taurus.
    I've seen several videos on YouTube that show how you can de-cock the PT-111/138/140/145. I've not tried it myself with a live round in the chamber but it seems to work.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    Wow- this thread has popped up after nearly 3 years....don't know if the original poster ever got his answer?

BUT- there is no way to de-cock the Mil Pro (111,138, 140, or 145) without doing something "very stupid!" - Don't do it.

Member #
    Liked
    17895 times
    OK...reserection after not 3 days, but 3 years.

Both brands are good and I own examples of both.

But between the two models, I'd go with the Taurus PT111.

More compact, lighter, more ergonomic, yet reliable and accurate.

Both go "bang" when the trigger is pulled so a decocker is moot point to me.
    Last edited by MOONDAWG; 01-23-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    Original post- 02-14-2009. Yeah.

Since this was first posted I have carried my Mil Pro 111 almost 3 years, and I have just begun to let it rest. I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 to replace it. My 111 has never failed , not even with cheap gun show reloads. Its a good gun. Now, the Bersa 380 is without a doubt the best handling and shooting gun I have had- and I have had a few. Actually, my Mil Pro now guards my home and the Bersa Thunder is my road gun. Since I have had this Bersa I have began to consider this Thunder 9mm UC that Bersa has. If it handles and shoots as well as the 380 its a winner. I would like to shoot one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links