Taurus Firearm Forum banner

I am a new to handguns and would like some help from y'all.

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  avyz66 
#1 ·
How y'all are.I'm a newbie to this board and to handguns in general.I'm looking to get my conceal carry permit.I have spent a few weeks looking over most all the brands of handguns over the net and at a few gun shops.my brother has helped me somewhat.He has been into all types of guns for many years and currently has a collection of approx.70-80 guns of all types.
he made the recommendation for a conceal and carry for me to research the Taurus brand.He favors and carries a Taurus revolver,38 cal and loves it..After doing research i am tending to favor the Taurus millenium brand semi auto Pt 111SS 9mm.I would like some insight from any and all on this choice.I favor the stainless slide but would like the titanium slide if I could find one.
Where can you find the best selection and prices of this model.I found the PT111SS at Cabelas for 89.95 about $30 more than over the net but can't find any in stock over the net.Academy has the blue model for $229 but it's not the 3rd generation.What would be fair prices for all of these models and where would all recommend to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I look forward to any and all help.

#2 ·
I just bought a millenium pt140 pro last week. At this point I can't bring myself to recommend them for issues I dont really want to get into in this post. If you have questions feel free to pm me. Do your research on the millenium series and make ur decision then. This forum is filled with an amazing ammount of info on the millenium series.
These, like most guns are harder to come by then they were a few years ago so its a little harder to be pickey when it comes to finishes. Especially when checking local gun stores. I paid 330 for mine at one place and saw the same exact gun at another gun store 4 miles away for 459 (they price gouge thought).
I think if I had to do it again I would go with one of there ultra light revolvers.
Just do your homework on them and make sure you memorize their customer service # lol. :)

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum from West Michigan.

Good luck on your choice. It is tough, complicated and fun to gun shop all at the same time. I sold a bunch of guns off and kept a couple. Thought I was done but nope, it is an addiction!! No one can have just one. I had a 9MM go bad, didn't want to bother with warranty on it so traded it in on a Taurus 9MM PT99. Love the Taurus. Didn't want to hunt with a 9MM so bought a .357 and the beat goes on and on and....LOL

#5 ·
Welcome from NC!

#7 ·
I'd make sure it was a 3rd gen, definately. I've got a pt111milpro (3rd)with about 1k rounds through it. It's a joy to shoot, and is a trustworthy carry weapon. Just make sure to clean it thoroughly before firing it, and I mean THOROUGHLY. They ship with a TON of grease, so you need to hit it hard with breakfree or you'll get a ton of FTFs if you don't clean the gunk out. There's a lot to consider, as far as carrying goes, but the guys here will give you a lot of helpful pointers.

#12 ·
Hey there, welcome to TA, and welcome to the life!

As for your question, I would seriouslly recomend finding a local shooting range that has the gun you are interested in to rent before you buy it. Gun's arnt cheap, and you cant return it if you don't like it. Though this will undoubtably be the first of many firearms your purchase (no one gets just one), it still pays to make sure your first one is one you love and that fits you right (there are many great guns out there which though perfectlly good firearms, just won't be right for you).

Once you have decided on a gun, I would recomend buying it at a storefront rather than online. In a storefront you can see the actual weapon you are getting before laying down cash for it, and will probablly have the option of saying "do you have another of this model, this one has scratchs on the slide (or whatever). Many shops will also be willing to take a few minutes with you to show you how to break the weapon down, and will allow you to inspect the interior as well as the exterior of the gun before you buy it. It may cost a little more, but IMO, the benefots of dealing in person more than make up for the 20-30 extra bucks.

#13 ·
I am 100% with Rackir! Before I chose my concealer I spent several weekends shooting dozens of guns. Most ranges with lots of guns will let you rent a caliber, shoot all you can in that caliber. Also is agreence is buying store front. I paid 429 for my 24/7 pro .40 and found it online for about $30 less...well I found it even less than that but there were none in stock....In any case, having it in your hands, playing with the slide and safeties, etc and checking the balance...knowing what your buying...is just more comfortable IMO.

#15 ·
Welcome from TN a lot of good advice above if you could hook up with your brother and let him show you the basis's I think that would help you in the long run or hit a local range and ask for help most will show you the ropes. In fact a lot of people at a range would answer most of your questions.

#18 ·
camco33 said:
Sorry for the typos,The cost for Pt111SS-12 @ Cabelas is $389.94 and the
blue madel PT 111-10 @ Adcademy is $329.
Amazingly enough I looked at the pt111 and pt140 pro just about a month ago. I shot plenty of 9mm before and never a .40 S&W. I chose the .40 S&W, after putting about 300 rounds through it now. I'm glad I made the choice. But either weapon from Taurus is still awesome. BTW, I gave $329 plus tax for mine.

Kuj

#19 ·
Welcome from Dallas.

That 2nd gen Mil Pro for $229 would be something I'd jump on - I've owned one before, and the long, stiffer trigger pull is akin to a revolver in DA mode. Not a bad thing at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.