Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Who's watching "Vikings" presented on The History Channel?

Member #
    Liked
    6047 times
    I think the show is indeed entertaining But I'll add a slight slant on it. I do study Norse and other versions of Paganism. I am a pagan. I also having no problem saying a Christian prayer before a meals and saying Amen afterwards. I see it as if it is important to the prayergiver and others in attendance, I can show them respect for allowing me to join in their meal. I see the various beliefs as spokes on a wheel. We all start on the outside and find our own path to the center.
    The series does show the how's and why's of Norse mythos and lifestyles. Our memorial day and Veterans day celebrations harken back to norse beliefs of honoring those who have given their lives to fight for our country. The Days of the week are named after the Norse. Monday is moon day, Tuesday is Tewes day (Tewes is anglisized Name for Tyr), Wednesday is Woden's Day, Thursday is Thor's Day, Friday is Freya's day, Saturday is Saturn's day and Sunday is Sun's day.
    So once you understand Why the Norse believed as they did, you see their actions follow that belief. This last episode however did not paint Christianity is a good light.
    Wingshot, RichO and Rossi like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP
    PT1911 - 38 Super - Reclaimed by my wife Ldyofpeace
    PT709SS slim
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    This last episode however did not paint Christianity is a good light.
    As do few accounts from that time period... T

Member #
    Liked
    363 times
    The wife watches every episode and what I catch is pretty good. The show has already been green lighted for a 2nd season.
    aquajim likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6177 times
    I have missed out on it but it looks like something I need to check into.

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I have missed out on it but it looks like something I need to check into.

You can catch past episodes for free on Hulu!!
    Wingshot likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1808 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
    Peacemakr40 gives brings great perspective and historical knowledge but is agree that Christianity takes its fair share of shots in the name of cinimatic creativity. I respect all religions myself as I see an interconnection between them. The Pageans mocked the Preists, as anyone would if they were thrust into that time period when magic and mysticism were believed to be "real". I found the resolution to the boy born to the married couple who were unable to conceive very "progressive" for the time period. Don't know that it would have go e down that way but I thought it was a good example of control through the use of a belief system.
    Tdub likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I think the show is indeed entertaining But I'll add a slight slant on it. I do study Norse and other versions of Paganism. I am a pagan. I also having no problem saying a Christian prayer before a meals and saying Amen afterwards. I see it as if it is important to the prayergiver and others in attendance, I can show them respect for allowing me to join in their meal. I see the various beliefs as spokes on a wheel. We all start on the outside and find our own path to the center. The series does show the how's and why's of Norse mythos and lifestyles. Our memorial day and Veterans day celebrations harken back to norse beliefs of honoring those who have given their lives to fight for our country. The Days of the week are named after the Norse. Monday is moon day, Tuesday is Tewes day (Tewes is anglisized Name for Tyr), Wednesday is Woden's Day, Thursday is Thor's Day, Friday is Freya's day, Saturday is Saturn's day and Sunday is Sun's day. So once you understand Why the Norse believed as they did, you see their actions follow that belief. This last episode however did not paint Christianity is a good light.
    What is Humpday named after?
    I can smell a commie a mile away; they didn't fool me then and they damn sure don't fool me now!ooooLeejack

Member #
    Liked
    3759 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aquajim View Post
    What is Humpday named after?
    Hump day is named for the lazy sloths who had nothing better to do that chat up their buddies why the real men worked and played with their Viking Women...thus humpday came to be known among the Christains as Good Friday or TGIF...or something like that.
    Wingshot, Peacemakr40 and aquajim like this.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...aphdmansoc

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    2817 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
    It doesn't paint paganism in a very good light either. Northumbria was eventually over run by the Viking and was known as Daneland until the Vikings were driven out by William the Conqueror who was from Normandy who were Vikings to begin with who spoke French.....oh, forget it. Enjoy the show. By the way, Northumbrian dialects are the core of modern English.
    The AR-15: The 21st Century Patriot's Flintlock Musket.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT

Member #
    Liked
    1808 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmstncwby View Post
    It doesn't paint paganism in a very good light either. Northumbria was eventually over run by the Viking and was known as Daneland until the Vikings were driven out by William the Conqueror who was from Normandy who were Vikings to begin with who spoke French.....oh, forget it. Enjoy the show. By the way, Northumbrian dialects are the core of modern English.
    This is the stuff I'm looking for! I once read or heard somewhere that the Vikings fathered so many children that most of us of European decent have some of that DNA. Any truth to that?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links