Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Homeland Security urges: Disable JAVA

Member #
    Liked
    806 times

Homeland Security urges: Disable JAVA

Homeland Security urges computer users to disable Java

ETA: Here is another article from 01/10.
    Experts urge PC users to disable Java, cite security flaw

Computer users are being advised by security experts to disable Oracle Corp's widely used Java software after a security flaw was discovered in the past day that they say hackers are exploiting to attack computers.

Read this from ZDNet: The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is the latest body to warn users to disable Java software amid escalating concerns over a serious, exploitable vulnerability.
    Last edited by Three Percent; 01-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Sleep well, my little buddy.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18480 times
    Interesting read.

Hmm...I was under the impression that JAVA had something to do with helping keep hackers out of our computers.

Could it be that BIG BROTHER is wanting us to disable this program to make "his" job of hacking into our computers easier?

Just a thought.
    Coolhandluke and marinemom like this.

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    6600 times
    Next thing you know they will want us to use US gubmint Grade A browsers they supply us: trade name? obromo. "Security" features built in to completely skirt any URLs which reference founding fathers, US Constitution, Bill of Rights, Declaration of . . .well, you get the idea. Oh, and they will also complete the equation we ran into last week when TA was flagged by Chrome as a malicious site - so bypass all online gun forums . . . . then you can focus on whistlin' while you work . . . for da man!
    MilProGuy and Coolhandluke like this.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. - GEORGE WASHINGTON
    "A democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
    - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18480 times
    (Take a look at the information from Java's website, and pay special attention to the red font.)

What is Java technology and why do I need it?

Java is a programming language and computing platform first released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. It is the underlying technology that powers state-of-the-art programs including utilities, games, and business applications. Java runs on more than 850 million personal computers worldwide, and on billions of devices worldwide, including mobile and TV devices.

Why do I need Java?

There are lots of applications and websites that won't work unless you have Java installed, and more are created every day. Java is fast, secure, and reliable. From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere!

The latest Java version contains important enhancements to improve performance, stability and security of the Java applications that run on your machine. Installing this free update will ensure that your Java applications continue to run safely and efficiently.

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    Interesting read.

Hmm...I was under the impression that JAVA had something to do with helping keep hackers out of our computers.

Could it be that BIG BROTHER is wanting us to disable this program to make "his" job of hacking into our computers easier?

Just a thought.
    Umm... no.

Java is a third-party program plug-in for your web browser to run certain content, similar to the way you need Adobe Flash to run Flash-based things in web sites, or Microsoft Silverlight to run Silverlight-based things in web sites. The simplest way I can think of to describe it is that it is a program that runs inside a program (your web browser) to do things in addition to what the browser can handle by itself.

They're recommending users [temporarily] disable Java because of a zero-day (just discovered) exploit that if actually exploited, can allow an attacker to execute code on the victim's PC. For example, you could run across a web site that has some malicious code in it that exploits the Java plug-in, and causes your PC to run the executable to shut down... or anything else the naughty code writer wants it to do, such as join into botnets.

Hopefully, Oracle (the company that makes Java) will come out with a patch shortly, and users will allow their systems to auto-patch.

Things like this happen all the time in the computer industry, which is why software makers push out patches. For some reason though, the gov't has just decided to latch onto this one and scream loud enough for computer users who don't normally keep up with this kind of stuff to hear and freak out about.
    TexasAviator likes this.
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845 | M65

Member #
    Liked
    806 times
    This is a new zero-day vulnerability being exploited.

Member #
    Liked
    806 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    (Take a look at the information from Java's website, and pay special attention to the red font.)

What is Java technology and why do I need it?

Java is a programming language and computing platform first released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. It is the underlying technology that powers state-of-the-art programs including utilities, games, and business applications. Java runs on more than 850 million personal computers worldwide, and on billions of devices worldwide, including mobile and TV devices.

Why do I need Java?

There are lots of applications and websites that won't work unless you have Java installed, and more are created every day. Java is fast, secure, and reliable. From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere!

The latest Java version contains important enhancements to improve performance, stability and security of the Java applications that run on your machine. Installing this free update will ensure that your Java applications continue to run safely and efficiently.
    That was written by Marketing. They want you to believe the world will cease to function without it.

Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Percent View Post
    That was written by Marketing. They want you to believe the world will cease to function without it.
    ROFL so true. However, unfortunately I know that there are some businesses and municipalities that use Java-based programs for things like water billing, and would not be able to function if they disabled Java. Oh how I despise those programs! So slow and... *ahm* I digress...
    Three Percent likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    806 times
    Apparently this is serious enough for Mozilla to consider measures

Mozilla considers disabling Java in Firefox

NEVERMIND... See below
    Last edited by Three Percent; 01-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Percent View Post
    Apparently this is serious enough for Mozilla to consider measures

Mozilla considers disabling Java in Firefox
    That article is dated 29 September 2011, 12:52.
    MilProGuy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links