Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Special Kind of Stupid

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23653 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    Sam Elliott makes for a great cowboy, but he really out did himself in: We Were Soldiers......well him and that .45
    One of the dumbest casting mistakes ever was Sam Elliot as Travis McGee in a TV movie made from one of John D. MacDonald's novels.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can bribe your younger brother into doing today.

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Why can't a guy like Sam be president?

Member #
    Liked
    8864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance0812 View Post
    One of the dumbest casting mistakes ever was Sam Elliot as Travis McGee in a TV movie made from one of John D. MacDonald's novels.
    John D. MacDonald's novel's should remain on the pages and not the screen. I could never get enough of the Travis McGee series.
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Treason: The betrayal of one’s own country by waging war against it or by consciously or purposely acting to aid its enemies.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23653 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    John D. MacDonald's novel's should remain on the pages and not the screen. I could never get enough of the Travis McGee series.
    I completely agree.
    But I will say the actor who best fit my image of Travis was Rod Taylor.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can bribe your younger brother into doing today.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5384 times
    I'd suggest you watch - in no particular order - "Sands Of Iwo Jima", "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", "Red River", "The Shootist", "McClintock" "The Searchers" and "True Grit".
    If you can't see the differences in the chacterizations, well... start a campaign to nominate Chuck Norris for an Oscar or something equally futile.

Trivia: Between 1939 ("Stagecoach") and 1948, John Ford had directed Wayne in several movies. In 1948 Howard Hawks directed Wayne in "Red River" - causing John Ford to say, "I never knew the S.O.B. could act!"
    I can't be held responsible for John Ford's lack of a discerning eye. Seen 'em all multiple times. Maybe that's why I think John Wayne always played John Wayne. I don't think there's a movie of his I haven't seen, so maybe my impression is a conflation of all those roles. <shrug> I like his movies, I like John Wayne, but I still say Eliot has more acting chops.

*... ah, the knob ... *
    The Universe requires everything to be observed, lest it cease to exist. - Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23653 times
    Here's where I think the hang-up is: John Wayne was too big and too iconic to submerge himself into a role. No matter what he was playing, he always looked like John Wayne.
    People who can submerge themselves - Dustin Hoffman, Gary Oldman, Robert Patrick to name a few - get much more credit for their acting ability.
    whichfinger likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5384 times
    Here's where I think the hang-up is: John Wayne was too big and too iconic to submerge himself into a role. No matter what he was playing, he always looked like John Wayne.
    People who can submerge themselves - Dustin Hoffman, Gary Oldman, Robert Patrick to name a few - get much more credit for their acting ability.
    Bingo.
    The Universe requires everything to be observed, lest it cease to exist. - Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Links