Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: A boy chained his bike to a tree, then went to fight WWI.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9362 times

A boy chained his bike to a tree, then went to fight WWI.

The tree is on Vashon Island, which is between Tacoma and Seattle, Washington.
    Quite a respectful monument.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW I  Vet.jpg 
Views:	1627 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	39427
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

Member #
    Liked
    5443 times
    snopes.com: Bicycle Tree

Sorry, I've seen this before. Although a touching story, it's simply not true.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9362 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    snopes.com: Bicycle Tree Sorry, I've seen this before. Although a touching story, it's simply not true.
    I did not know, I took it to be fact because the person that sent me the picture is a long time friend...
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gbusmech View Post
    I did not know, I took it to be fact because the person that sent me the picture is a long time friend...
    Well, I had never seen it before, but I can understand how easy it would be to get suckered. While sad, you'd hope that something like this would be safe.
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    I would rather believe the story.

I know a lot of the good stories we hear are often not true.....but snopes is often not true either. They are not an authority on anything.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brojohn View Post
    I would rather believe the story.

I know a lot of the good stories we hear are often not true.....but snopes is often not true either. They are not an authority on anything.
    Ok, well if you choose to not believe snopes, that's fine. You can read this article on the story http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bi-DLACcLk.../s1600/016.jpg

The problem with the story is the bike is very small. If you go to this site: Kent's Bike Blog: Vashon Island Bike Tree you can see how small it is to an average size bike. The boy would have been very little to ride it. It's a child's bike. Not to mention it's of the wrong time. The bike in the tree has been dated to be that of 1940's-50's. It's simply not old enough to be from 1914, but that's ok, you are certainly welcome to believe what you want.

Recently there was a big story about snopes not being accurate and having made up a lot of stories. This too was unfounded and simply not true. It was also another email hoax. So I can understand why you feel as you do, you probably read that email and believed it too.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    No offense intended:
    My point was not that the story was true- but that snopes is not an authority. I said i would rather believe the story.

If the story can be proven to be false- that in no way validates snopes credibility.
    dudeman351 and tcox4freedom like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times
    I'm just jaded enough these days because it turns out so few of these stories are true. Most turn out to be twisted versions of the truth at best. The interwebz is ripe with these stories. I blame Al Gore for inventing the darn thing.
    Zylo_X and tcox4freedom like this.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Under the unconstitutional skies of Northern Colorado.
    Liked
    3746 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    Ok, well if you choose to not believe snopes, that's fine. You can read this article on the story http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bi-DLACcLk.../s1600/016.jpg

The problem with the story is the bike is very small. If you go to this site: Kent's Bike Blog: Vashon Island Bike Tree you can see how small it is to an average size bike. The boy would have been very little to ride it. It's a child's bike. Not to mention it's of the wrong time. The bike in the tree has been dated to be that of 1940's-50's. It's simply not old enough to be from 1914, but that's ok, you are certainly welcome to believe what you want.

Recently there was a big story about snopes not being accurate and having made up a lot of stories. This too was unfounded and simply not true. It was also another email hoax. So I can understand why you feel as you do, you probably read that email and believed it too.
    Sadly, I learned that my crazy uncle whose greatest nemesis was Snopes just passed away the other day, and I'll be flying to Atlanta to meet the family and bury him on Thursday.

I won't bring up the emails with family, but now that I'm the oldest man, perhaps it's my place to pass along unsubstantiated rumors? LOL
    MissKitty and LonestarJake like this.
    "Semper paratus, numquam indigens." - "Always prepared, never needed."

Member #
    Liked
    5443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Sadly, I learned that my crazy uncle whose greatest nemesis was Snopes just passed away the other day, and I'll be flying to Atlanta to meet the family and bury him on Thursday.

I won't bring up the emails with family, but now that I'm the oldest man, perhaps it's my place to pass along unsubstantiated rumors? LOL
    Yes, that torch has been passed. We ALL have those relatives that send us this stuff. God bless them.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links