Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Woman Convicted in Florida for "Standing Her Ground"

Member #
    Liked
    2373 times
    I'm with some of you on the "warning shot" issue. SHOOT TO KILL.
    Armd2DaTeeth likes this.
    That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear!

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    !

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times
    I think like most stories, there is more to this than we are being told.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    20573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverFan View Post
    It's craziness when you are not allowed to defend yourself in a threat situation! BTW, I agree with the shooting in the air business. I have told my wife that doing that or shooting to wound can often make the situation worse. If it becomes necessary to draw your firearm in defense, you shoot to neutralize the threat.......
    So you train your wife to not wound... the wisdom of that remains to be seen. I wish you luck in any altercations to come, Rev.
    Keeper of The Pledge

Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.

I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

Because a copy is returned for postfix ++ expressions, statements such as (c++)++; won't work as expected.

Member #
    Liked
    20573 times
    After retrieving her gun, she returned to the house... this is not "standing your ground". If you reduce the distance between you and the perceived threat, you are not "standing". If he had approached her in the garage, the shooting would (probably) have been justified.
    Let's face it - the law is more complicated than the catch phrase "stand your ground". The law is not there as a shield to stand behind while you shoot people, but a way to make a shooting that is morally justified legally justified as well.
    The best advice is still to avoid any situation that requires a violent response. I was taught that in martial arts training; I was taught that in CPL training.
    Keeper of The Pledge

Because a copy is returned for postfix ++ expressions, statements such as (c++)++; won't work as expected.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    So you train your wife to not wound... the wisdom of that remains to be seen. I wish you luck in any altercations to come, Rev.
    Last time I took my wife shooting we had a full silhouette. She took a baseball sized group out of it just below the belt buckle... Believe me I didn't teach her that!
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    20573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Last time I took my wife shooting we had a full silhouette. She took a baseball sized group out of it just below the belt buckle... Believe me I didn't teach her that!
    Baseball sized.... braggart!
    Keeper of The Pledge

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17475 times
    After retrieving her gun, she returned to the house... this is not "standing your ground". If you reduce the distance between you and the perceived threat, you are not "standing". If he had approached her in the garage, the shooting would (probably) have been justified.
    Let's face it - the law is more complicated than the catch phrase "stand your ground". The law is not there as a shield to stand behind while you shoot people, but a way to make a shooting that is morally justified legally justified as well.
    The best advice is still to avoid any situation that requires a violent response. I was taught that in martial arts training; I was taught that in CPL training.
    Excellent post ~~ very insightful.

Thanks
    Armd2DaTeeth likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance0812 View Post
    Last week, while waiting my turn at the LGS, a woman who was also waiting struck up a conversation with me. (Yeah, they do that *sigh*)
    Anyway, she mentioned she been to several self-defense classes and in one she learned something so obvious I'd never thought of it:

"Put your hand up like you're telling someone to stop - or like you're trying to stop traffic. There are cameras everywhere these days and they don't have sound, but they can record your motions as you draw your weapon."

Sounded like great advice to me. Would show you were trying to stop an attack/assault by peaceful means.

This was covered in my CCW classes, and I have been told is touched on in more detail in the tactical tranning classes I am about to take.
    PT-638 .380
    SA XDsc 9mm
    SA XDM .45 compact.

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    I'm quite sure there is a lot more to this than we may ever know, but based on what is in this story, I'll have to disagree with your position. From your view then, would all those cases about grabbing your nightstand gun and going to the living room have to be prosecuted also??
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylo_X View Post
    I'm quite sure there is a lot more to this than we may ever know, but based on what is in this story, I'll have to disagree with your position. From your view then, would all those cases about grabbing your nightstand gun and going to the living room have to be prosecuted also??
    You're probably right about not having all the info. If she had killed him on the spot, instead of the warning, she would have been able to claim self defense. He did after all, publicly threaten her life. No worries though. She'll be perfectly safe from him while she's in prison, and she'll have the satisfaction of never having to take responsibility for her own life.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny,

I still plan to vote.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links