Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    801 times

Can people eat water moccasins?

On Dual Survival, Dave Canterbury ate leeches.

When they encountered a python, they killed and ate it. But they also encountered a young water moccasin and left it alone.

I've eaten several rattlesnakes, but never a moccasin because of their nasty smell.

I would assume they would be edible.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18294 times

Re: Can you eat a water moccasin?

To answer your question....NO, I can't eat a water moccasin!

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Member #
    Liked
    1247 times

Re: Can you eat a water moccasin?

Could it be much different from snapping turtle???

Only rattlesnacke I had was on a pizza!

Meat is meat, isn't it??

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    801 times

Re: Can people eat water moccasins?

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy
    To answer your question....NO, I can't eat a water moccasin!
    Okay. I'll reword the title.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    1194 times

Off topic, but the funniest episode was when the bad ass guy killed the gator and carried it back to camp and the hippie got pisses off about it. The hippie said he teaches his students not to go after something that can eat you. The army guy said who cares because I am eating good now. Then later when they hippie was eating the gator, he was pretty happy. Funny stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    5514 times

Yes, you can eat water moccasin, although we've always called them 'cotton mouths'. They have venom sac's behind the head, so you have to be sure not to cut that or eat it. Not as tasty as rattle snake. Rattle snake would be like your prime top of the line meat, cotton mouth being the least flavorful. I'd only eat one if I had to rely on it. They stink and are often full of parasites.

Member #
    Liked
    2990 times

Exactly, I was going to say you don't hit any snake in or around the head, if you intend to eat them. Best to lop the head off in one fell swoop to make sure none of the venom gets in the meat. Snakes don't taste any different than eel to me.

Armadillos, also called Hoover Hogs and/or depression meat, taste like pork and are actually pretty good. I ate several of them in my younger days, until I found out they can carry leprosy and that pretty much killed my taste for them. Now you throw the dead body on an ant bed and after a few weeks you can make a basket out of the shell and rings out of the tail.

I quit watching those survival shows when I found out they are as fake as wrestling.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    12284 times

BUTT - if you're ever in Denver you might want to give The Fort a try - it's got your name all over it . Might I recommend rattle snake and mountain oysters for appetizers, followed by a nice thick buffalo steak. The place really is an old indian fort, and it's still heated by adobe stoves which are scattered throughout the restaurant. It's expensive, but it's a one of a kind place. Check out the menu - http://www.thefort.com/Menu.htm
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22716 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70
    Exactly, I was going to say you don't hit any snake in or around the head, if you intend to eat them. Best to lop the head off in one fell swoop to make sure none of the venom gets in the meat. Snakes don't taste any different than eel to me.

Armadillos, also called Hoover Hogs and/or depression meat, taste like pork and are actually pretty good. I ate several of them in my younger days, until I found out they can carry leprosy and that pretty much killed my taste for them. Now you throw the dead body on an ant bed and after a few weeks you can make a basket out of the shell and rings out of the tail.

I quit watching those survival shows when I found out they are as fake as wrestling.
    Did you know that eating Armadillo meat has been attributed to an increase in cases of leprosy? Apparently there is some kind of parasitic bacteria found in 'dilo's that doesn't die when you cook it and if it finds it way into the human system it causes leprosy. Be careful eating that roadkill!
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    2990 times

I know, they are the only animals in the world that are capable of carrying/transmitting leprosy to humans. No more depression meat for me!
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links