Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3573 times

Re: Are fossils worth anything?

I've done the fossil collecting at Lake Texoma. Since I am a geologist by degree, I feel safe in saying that dinosaur fossils are where the $$ are. What you have are very common so an educated guess would say that they are not worth much more than a few dollars.
    Why has the world gone to hell since John Wayne died?

Help save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered.

"If the federal government could control anything, I could probably listen to that gibberish, but when they do such a horrible job in controlling spending, borrowing, controlling illegal drugs and illegal aliens coming into this country while they give AK-47s to Mexican drug lords through Fast and Furious, I donít see much hope in them even beginning to control guns."

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    801 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plano Mark
    I've done the fossil collecting at Lake Texoma. Since I am a geologist by degree, I feel safe in saying that dinosaur fossils are where the $$ are. What you have are very common so an educated guess would say that they are not worth much more than a few dollars.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ugly Tall Texan
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
    hey, I said what the geologist said, and I work at Wal-Mart!! I must be SMRT
    Like a midget at a urinal, you have to stay on your toes.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

They are fun to collect and did that a lot when in school. But unfortunately they are very common. Now a Mammoth or Sabre Tooth Tiger might make you a rich man.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3573 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fla24/7
    hey, I said what the geologist said, and I work at Wal-Mart!! I must be SMRT

During some of the oil busts in the late 1980s, some geologists had to work at Wally World and Sears.
    Why has the world gone to hell since John Wayne died?

Help save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered.

"If the federal government could control anything, I could probably listen to that gibberish, but when they do such a horrible job in controlling spending, borrowing, controlling illegal drugs and illegal aliens coming into this country while they give AK-47s to Mexican drug lords through Fast and Furious, I donít see much hope in them even beginning to control guns."

Member #
    Liked
    65 times

Seen Pawn Stars last night. A guy brought in some Mazon Creek fossils out of Illinois.
    Really nice, some ferns and a spider, that were dated around 300 million years ago.
    Don't remember what he got for them, I think around 1200 bucks, but not sure.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ugly Tall Texan
    Every time I went to Lake Texoma, I found several of them.

The worst of them looked like this one and I found several that were better.

There's some interesting sheen and color showing through on that fossil. Collectors are going to scream in anguish when they hear this, but I'd suggest you take one or two of your worst specimens and toss them in a tumbler for a bit. Use the worst ones because you don't want to possibly ruin a good one.

If they clean up nicely then get some help from your wife / kids/ inner Martha Stewart and see what you can do to turn them into jewelry, then offer them up on eBay. You may get no takers, but then again you may start the next buying craze.
    2-4-5 trioxin, it's not just for zombies anymore....oh, wait, yes it is.

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    801 times

I haven't had any of those in 30 years or more. I suspect they are still common in the bluffs around Lake Texoma.

I got that photo off the web to illustrate what I was talking about.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    143 times

A lot of the more common fossils will only fetch a few bucks. The dinosaur fossils and some plant fossils may fetch a lot of money, but most of those are sold on the black market because many of them are taken from areas of great paleontologically important sites and are usually off-limits to fossil hunters. Good luck with them if you are able to find buyers (no sarcasm intended).
    John Wayne: "[on America] I can tell you why I love her. I have a lust for her dignity. I look at her wonderfully classic face, and I see hidden in it a sense of humor that I love. I think of wonderful, exciting, decent things when I look at her . . ."

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4665 times

I did a lot of rock and fossil collecting when I was young and hiked a bunch some of my stuff I took to the local museum and I got $100 for one tiny piece. That was in the 70's. It really depends on what you have.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links