It's Kinda Sad - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: It's Kinda Sad

Member #
    Liked
    667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    Years ago I bought a used 1988 ford from Hertz car rental. I though I would buy an American made car. The alternator went out after a few thousand miles. Went to the ford dealer to have it replaced, dealer had to order it from Mitsubishi (I believe) That was the who built the engine. So much for American made cars.
    Maybe Mazda? Ford and Mazda used to be tied together pretty close, I think Ford owned part of Mazda. Chrysler owned part of Mitsubishi ( Dodge Stealth = Mitsubishi 3000GT, Eagle Talon = Mitsubishi Eclipse and there were others).
    GhostHorse likes this.
    "No man can be condemned for owning a dog. As long as he’s got a dog he’s got a friend and the poorer he gets the better friend he has." - Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    1402 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariwine View Post
    I've always been happy with them. And it's not like I have much choice. Ford or Chevy. American cars are what I buy and so that excludes Chrysler. Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    Are you talking about where the company headquarters is or where they are built? My GMC was Canadian built and I know at one of the plants, any non-US made vehicle was forced to park with the imports near the rear of the lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariwine View Post
    When I say American. I don't necessarily mean USA. North American. I usually buy GM cause I'm 10 miles from the factory. They don't make the vehicle I want but I would really like to keep those jobs in the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    My 2007 Saturn was worth so little I gave it to my nephew. It only had 75,000 miles on it. We kept the 2005 Honda Civic, which says something about both the Honda and the Saturn. We bought a new Subaru. It was made in Indiana. #1 car in Colorado. We're trying to fit in.

Until I started looking at it I was unaware that Subaru makes the Toyota Camry for Toyota in the same plant. Weird. But Subaru is doing so well they are kicking Toyota out because they need the production capacity for their own cars. Whoopdee-do for Subaru...
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    Even a dead mule is worth the meat. Trade in value is what they will give you. Better than a write-off.

Don't confuse American branded with American made.
    These days there are a lot of non-US companies making their vehicles in this country just because of that sentiment. Look to the vehicle first. You don't say what type you seek (car by size, SUV, whatever). If this is your dominant factor, choose the vehicle type and look at where they are produced.
    Want American(-made), you say?

Get a Toyota Camry (#1), Honda Accord (#2), Toyota Sienna (#3), Honda Odyssey (#4), or Honda Pilot (#5).

See for yourself:

The 2016 Cars.com "American-made Index"
    https://www.cars.com/articles/the-20...1420684865874/

USA Today article on it
    Japan's Toyota has the most made-in-the USA car: Camry

Forbes article on it
    Forbes Welcome
    mingaa, Mutt and FreeInAZ like this.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Member #
    Liked
    22722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    My 2007 Saturn was worth so little I gave it to my nephew. It only had 75,000 miles on it. We kept the 2005 Honda Civic, which says something about both the Honda and the Saturn. We bought a new Subaru. It was made in Indiana. #1 car in Colorado. We're trying to fit in.

Until I started looking at it I was unaware that Subaru makes the Toyota Camry for Toyota in the same plant. Weird. But Subaru is doing so well they are kicking Toyota out because they need the production capacity for their own cars. Whoopdee-do for Subaru...
    AWD Rocks!!!!
    glenwolde likes this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyYoungMan View Post

Get a Toyota Camry (#1), Honda Accord (#2), Toyota Sienna (#3), Honda Odyssey (#4), or Honda Pilot (#5).

See for yourself:

USA Today article on it

Forbes article on it
    Forbes Welcome
    I did actually look at them but those are all uugggly. Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business. -Me

Who needs the CIA when you have the KGB? - Donald Trump

Sand Lake - All of 'em

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19331 times
    I am 2/3 of the way through my OEM warranty on my Durango with not a lick of trouble and plan on keeping it many years.

People speak of taking the hit on buying a new vehicle but I really don't realize that by keeping them 10 years plus.

Good luck in your vehicle search!
    It is difficult to gain the truth from the media in this age. It is a huge puzzle with small pieces. In order to solve it, one must have perseverance, all of the pieces, imagination, time, and most of all...the desire to put the picture together. Our real trouble is that there are far too few people today with the desire to do this.

Member #
    Liked
    4129 times
    My driveway now has 3 toyotas, a 2000 4runner with 256,000 miles, an 08 Tundra with 70,000, and just picked up a 2012 Highlander Limited with 77,000 for the wife. Decided to keep the 4 runner and drive the thing into the ground instead of trying to get it sold or any trade.

While car shopping, we looked at www.carcomplaints.com. We ruled out several based on what we found there, including the newer Dodge Durangos. Apparently they like to just shut off while driving. No codes and no way for dealers to figure out why. Supposedly
    Last edited by youngandfree; 01-11-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4129 times
    The Toyota and Subaru connection is quite evident with the Toyota FRS and the Subbie BRZ. Identical cars.
    mingaa likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyYoungMan View Post

See for yourself:

USA Today article on it

Forbes article on it
    Forbes Welcome
    Subaru, Toyota, and Honda all have plants here in Indiana.
    FreeInAZ likes this.
    "No man can be condemned for owning a dog. As long as he’s got a dog he’s got a friend and the poorer he gets the better friend he has." - Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    15096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    The Toyota and Subaru connection is quite evident with the Toyota FRS and the Subbie BRZ. Identical cars.
    Now that you mention it, yeah. I'm past the point of even considering two door sports cars so I didn't notice.
    youngandfree likes this.
    Definition of clip
    : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    15096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mingaa View Post
    AWD Rocks!!!!
    It does, but every manufacturer sells them now. Pretty popular configuration around here. We don't get actually get much snow here in the valley, but if you desire to leave the valley during winter you better have one. You can't get out of here without going high-altitude.
    Definition of clip
    : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links