Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Star Wars

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22039 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 53rdcard View Post
    When i say first 3, i mean episode 1, 2, and 3, not 4, 5 and 6, i mean by episode number, the first 3, not by release date. 4, 5 and 6 are great, 1-3 take away from that horribly

Ah okay well that makes more sense to me now. It gets confusing when you start talking about 1,2,3 because you always have to go back to "are you talking chonological or episode order?".

I thought Rogue One was a great effort by Disney. If they put that much thought into all of their releases, we should be in for a good ride. I thought they tied R1 into "A New Hope" pretty well.
    2016 TA.net Fantasy Football League Champion

You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    I liked the Disney movies better than the originals.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4082 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    I liked the Disney movies better than the originals.
    Probably because newer technology. Lucas was a pioneer in special effects and sound in the original movies.
    Owner Taurus PT740 Slim
    Kimber Compact Stainless II
    SW BodyGuard .380
    Windham Weaponry AR-15 SRC
    Mosin Negant
    Florida CWP
    GOA Member
    Florida Carry Member
    New NRA Life Member

"...the opinion which gives to the judges the right to decide what laws are constitutional and what not, not only for themselves in their own sphere of action but for the Legislature and Executive also in their spheres, would make the Judiciary a despotic branch."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1648 times
    I'm 64 and went to see the current Star Wars movie mainly to get out of my house that's been taken over by my oldest daughters family of 5 for the last 4 months. I liked it enough to see it twice.
    I'm kicking them to the curb in 30 days to preserve my sanity.
    Last edited by Jobarr; 01-08-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    ELW00D likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10289 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jseymour View Post
    Probably because newer technology. Lucas was a pioneer in special effects and sound in the original movies.
    Lucas was a effects genius, and he really should have just stayed in that, and hired a good director. The man can storyboard, and do effects very, very well, but, when it comes to dialog and directing, he really should leave that to someone more qualified.
    Like the homeless guy behind the studio who talks to birds.

For instance, look at Indiana Jones 1-3 lucas did what he does well, and Spielberg did what he does well, and together, they made some really great movies, even if 2 wasnt my favorite, but at least thanks to 4 we can say, it isnt the worst of them anymore.
    Last edited by 53rdcard; 01-09-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    "Let's get on our knees and pray. I don't know to whom. Is there a patron saint of ballistics?"-Adam Savage
    Its never wrong, it just hasn't been fixed right yet. -TSH

If Guns Kill People. I guess Pencils misspell words, Cars drive drunk & Spoons make people fat.....

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    New Hope + Empire Strikes Back + Return of the Jedi = solid gold. These still hold up and your kids will love them.

The 3 prequels are garbage IMO - a few cool scenes in each movie but by and large nearly unwatchable. Terrible, atrocious dialogue and WAAAAAAAY too much CGI.

Force Awakens > Rogue One - but both are good enough to add to the collection.

If you like SciFi - check out the series Firefly and companion movie Serenity...new(ish) classics.
    53rdcard likes this.
    “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”

J.R.R. Tolkien

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    8612 times
    I did not like The Force Awakens. I left the theater thinking I had seen
    it all before. Same plot just different places and characters. Instead of
    Death Star now look we have Death Planet. Boring...

Rogue One was much better. I like the way it payed respect to the original
    New Hope. Like knowing how the Rebels stole the plans.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I'm of a different mindset. Had I never seen them, I'd watch them in chronological order: I, II, III, Rogue One, IV, V, VI, and VII (The Force Awakens). This, with the prior understanding of when they were actually produced, so as to understand the differences in special effects between the subsets.

But hey, that's just me. When I read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (putting The Hobbit before any of that trilogy), I could never conceive of reading them out of order. Just my humble opinion; your mileage may vary.
    LOL you the first one I know besides myself that read the Foundation series.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    Yea my first name is Marlin
    EAA Windicater 2inch .357
    Taurus M605 38/357
    Sif P290 .9mm
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    Marlin 60n .22lr
    Tristar .20 gauge semi-auto
    CVA Wolf 209 Magnum .50 Black Powder
    NRA Member

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    9934 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariwine View Post
    So the daughter has been asking about Star Wars so I get the first 6 movies. I figure they are culturally important. She's loving it. But she looks at me and says, "This is for kids." She nailed it right on the head. I just can't get into it. I'm just not 12 anymore. And these first 3 are booooooooring. I haven't seen 4-6 in 20 years. I wonder if they will be boring too.

And Sam Jackson is horrible when he doesn't ham it up.
    The short answer to that is no. The original Star Wars trilogy is timeless. The new movies (under Disney) are proving to be really good. What came in between should just be ignored, IMO.

Member #
    Liked
    33613 times
    I didn't care for episodes I, II, III much at all... but then I was always more of a Trekkie than a Star Wars guy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed IV, V, VI and VII but they don't come anywhere close to the greatness of Star Trek!
    Cariwine and 53rdcard like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links