Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: New Car Coming Very Affordable

Member #
    Liked
    2808 times
    I will also stick with my Harley.
    Why does every car that gets good gas mileage have to be as ugly as a tennis shoe?
    My son says they look like "balls of snot on wheels".
    Wolf1477 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10690 times
    As a few of you have said, I definitely give credit for coming up with something new, and I honestly wish 'em the best of luck. For a single person vehicle for buzzing around town, heck yeah go for it!, but, I do cringe thinking about someone in one of these trying to pass an 18 wheeler at highway speed thinking they're actually in a car and not realizing how light they actually are. I've seen a "smart" car get sucked under a trailer and spit out the back...wasn't one of the more pleasant sights I've seen.
    45 Forever and aphdmansoc like this.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2707 times
    Don't worry the other car makers will complain and the government will declare them unsafe in some way or tax them to death to drive the price up.Or one of the big auto makers will buy the technology and bury it so they can keep building bland cars that all look alike and fleece us some more.
    Surface groups may be the face of power projection, but there really are only two types of ships out there: submarines and targets.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6877 times
    Just bought a new truck, 29K Silverado. It will tow my travel trailer and boat. I have a Toyota Echo with 192K on it, still burns no oil and gets 40+ to the gallon. I have gotten 49 mpg by keeping it to under 60 mph on the highway. When an if I finally wear it out, maybe this new car will have a track record. BUT, I sure ain't gonna be the beta tester for it. If and when I were to get one, I'd just pay cash, don't need the fancy financing for 7K.

Oh, I have a 55 mpg Kawasaki KLR650, too, for personal transportation. Yeah, I buy a lot of license plates.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    As a few of you have said, I definitely give credit for coming up with something new, and I honestly wish 'em the best of luck. For a single person vehicle for buzzing around town, heck yeah go for it!, but, I do cringe thinking about someone in one of these trying to pass an 18 wheeler at highway speed thinking they're actually in a car and not realizing how light they actually are. I've seen a "smart" car get sucked under a trailer and spit out the back...wasn't one of the more pleasant sights I've seen.
    I had a "Chevy Sprint", later "Geo Metro", Suzuki built, 1.0 liter 3 cylinder and a heavier car, no doubt, as it was a 4 door subcompact. It had plenty of spunk, but max speed was just shy of 100 mph. It had a 4 speed stick in it, not sure what an auto tranny would have done to the performance, but it wasn't near as bad as you'd think.

I don't have to commute on freeways. I wouldn't want something like this on the SW freeway at rush hour in Houston. I'd rather be on my motorcycle, frankly. This thing is sort of a hybrid between trike and car. Certainly affordable and might just be fun on the little 2 lanes around here. I could see trips up to New Ulm and around just to get out, no worries about the price of gas...you know, like a motorcycle?
    Wolf1477 and aphdmansoc like this.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5065 times
    As more and more cars on the road today get better to great gas mileage, fuel consumption continues to decline. Subsequently, tax revenues collected through the sale of fuel have also declined. The result will be increased per gallon taxes collected by state, local, and federal governments and higher gas prices.

Suport America, drive a 1974 Dodge Monico.
    NRA Member
    CWP Florida
    FairTax Supporter

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7806 times
    Actually, they're just revisiting old '40s technology. Microcars have been around since just after WW2, they were more popular in Europe but they were still makin' 'em in the '60s. Pretty sure Popular Mechanics and/or Popular Science had ads in them for microcar kits, as late as the '70s. One thing's for sure with those things......you'll definitely be the first person to the scene of the accident.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Member #
    Under the unconstitutional skies of Northern Colorado.
    Liked
    3892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    Actually, they're just revisiting old '40s technology. Microcars have been around since just after WW2, they were more popular in Europe but they were still makin' 'em in the '60s. Pretty sure Popular Mechanics and/or Popular Science had ads in them for microcar kits, as late as the '70s. One thing's for sure with those things......you'll definitely be the first person to the scene of the accident.
    It's apparently rated 5 stars for safety.
    "Semper paratus, numquam indigens." - "Always prepared, never needed."

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3168 times
    I can see having one for running errands. Driving back roads, yeah okay, but there is no way I'd take one out on the highway.
    Of course you see motorcycles out on the freeway, so maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal. I like the idea of the roll cage.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny,

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    3689 times
    I appreciate you guys bringing up the safety issue. This would be an empirical question. As I see it, at least for my limited needs - I am retired so I don't fight traffic to commute. I go about on "off" hours to do my running around...something like this "car" makes sense.

I think if you put some fancy rims on it...it could be a chick magnet.
    Wolf1477 and NativeTexan like this.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...aphdmansoc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links