Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Public Defender?

I currently have a Taurus 24/7 Pro DS .45 that I carry around everywhere I go. My wife is scared to shoot it since she's just now getting into guns and very small. 105lbs and 5'1". She says it kicks too hard and is so loud lol. I'm looking into guns to get her. I'm thinking of going no smaller then a 9mm. I'm looking at getting a Public Defender. Could anyone tell me how the recoil is on them? I'm sure it's alot since it shoots .45 and 410 right? If nothing else I'll just buy it for myself and carry both. Thanks guys
    He who fires the most, the fastest wins

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Public Defender?

I have the Taurus Judge PD and I find the recoil w/ 45 LC not bad at all,but the .410 SD rounds have alittle kick to them,but manageable.This gun is a hoot . My next one is gonna be a 3" chamber,3" barrel
    You win some you loose some but you have to get dressed for all of them !

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have a PD and have only shot it with 410 loads . I have the bigger grip on it , and it is comfortable to shoot. I have more recoil from my 40 cal. S&W than the PD. I have only shot it 2 times without hearing protectors , and I hope that I never have to shoot it inside a car . I had ringing for a long time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have the Polymer PD. Recoil with 410 target loads isn't too bad. I shot some Remington UMC 45 Colt out of it last week, and that wasn't a comfortable experience. Not much grip to hold onto , so it felt like it was going to jump out of my hands (I have small hands, though, so YMMV.)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a judge PD stainless, and a TCP 738. I got the judge to take care of business and got the TCP because I figured having a backup wouldn't hurt. I should mention I'm a woman..

That being said.. I have small hands, and prior to my purchase of these two weapons, had never fired a gun before in my life. I personally find the TCP painful to shoot and hard to aim. It just beats into my thumb knuckle. The PD, however, is more fun to shoot, even though it's loud. The kick from the two guns is about the same when shooting regular bullets... but the shotgun shells through the judge make a bigger kick- enough to throw you off if you aren't prepared for it.

The PD makes me feel more like I could defend my life, and the revolver style is something easy to work with for a beginner. The ability to load it with different types of ammo at the same time and choose which goes first, second, third, etc, is a very nice feature.

If you go PD, let her fire off some shells. Federal makes a handgun shell, which did a nice job... and PDX1 ... has a bigger kick, but it does some impressive stuff to the paper target. Makes you say ouch just looking at it.

:-)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a PD ultralite and it kicks a little, it'll surprise you if you're not ready for it. As far as what your wife will think about it, it's all up to her. My cousin is intimidated by the judge. (he's about 5'10" / 200 lbs). He shot about 5 rounds through it and said "it's a little too much for me". However, my girlfriend shoots the judge most often (she's 5'4" / 110 lbs). It's her favorite gun (of mine) to shoot. The ammo makes a big difference to as far as the recoil goes. As noted before, .410 buckshot (especially the Remington HD) will hit a lot harder than 45LC. But the Rem HD is my favorite round for the gun.
    Never mess with a man who has a lot of keys. They might be a janitor... or maybe own a lot of guns... Worse yet, a janitor with a lot of guns.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    not bad at all, get it and enjoy it

Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    Quote Originally Posted by craftmastercolin View Post
    I currently have a Taurus 24/7 Pro DS .45 that I carry around everywhere I go. My wife is scared to shoot it since she's just now getting into guns and very small. 105lbs and 5'1". She says it kicks too hard and is so loud lol. I'm looking into guns to get her. I'm thinking of going no smaller then a 9mm. I'm looking at getting a Public Defender. Could anyone tell me how the recoil is on them? I'm sure it's alot since it shoots .45 and 410 right? If nothing else I'll just buy it for myself and carry both. Thanks guys
    If she is just starting out with firearms, get a .22, .380. or a .38spl for her to shoot. When my wife started she bought a Charter Arms .38spl snubbie. I gave her the 130gr loads and they hardly even recoiled. She's now shooting 158gr +p defense loads with no problem. The WORST thing you can do with someone new to firearms is give them something they are scared of.
    "The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI."

"The nine millimeter is for killing europeans, for truely dangerous people you need a .45."
    Col. Jeff Cooper

" George Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

"Life is tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Member #
    Liked
    1954 times
    I agree with Oldster. Start small and grow with it. I shot a friend's 32 and hardly noticed the kick, compared to my nine.
    Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    2611 times
    Something heavier and slightly larger than the 738 but still in a .380 Auto, like the PT-138 or Bersa Thunder, will lessen the recoil and snap. My daughter absolutely loves the Makarov in .380 Auto that I gave her. A PD with its short barrel is going to give a good bit of snap that may bother her wrist (that's the same problem with the 73.

Another good pistol for a small woman new to shooting would be Taurus' M327 6-shot snubbie. She can shoot it with any of the low recoil .32 revolver rounds (except for 32/20) until she gets used to it and then transition to Federal's low recoil 85 grain .327 Mag for SD. Larry's is still running them on sale for $250.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links