Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: .410Buckshot Effectiveness

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

.410Buckshot Effectiveness

Disclaimer: I am a complete gun newbie

First I'll say that personally I think if I got shot with .410 buckshot in close quarters i'd be down. Not sure what some other people are thinking....There are 410 Home Defense (Mossberg HS 410) shotguns
    A good amount of people don't think it is good for personal defense I think mainly because muzzle velocity (i think they mostly say 800-900fps... Remindton HD on box says 1300fps), pellet weight, and penetration (15-16")?
    But it seems like EVERY magazine article I have read and EVERYONE I have talked to say it WILL put someone down especially at close ranges (25-35ft about in my apartment) I don't think I've seen that in a magazine ever I think only some forums on google searches...they never mention penetration i dont get it

Remington 00 HD Ultimate Home Defense advertises 1300fps at the muzzle (not 800-900fps)

I think 000 pellet weight is usually around 70-80 grains? Not sure how much the Winchester PDX1s weigh (copper plated disks). Feels like enough weight to me i mean penetration is penetration right?

Federal Premium 000 410 Handgun has I believe 15-16" penetration (i'd have to double check what the source was) (oh and Winchester PDX1 has 9-10" penetration I think and off topic I talked to someone at Winchester that said it would be safe to use in my apartment if I am shooting through 3-4 walls or possibly even 2 front doors? do you think so?)

Ok so they think the pellet weight might be too low......but some rounds penetrate 15-16"???? I dont get it!?? I mean at least 4 big wound tracks, 16" PENETRATION..........Huh!??!?? Every magazine is wrong??? i seriously doubt it..........
    Taurus Judge CT

Kahr CM9

Smith&Wesson 360 Talo .357

Ruger Mark III 22/45 5"

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: .410 000 Buckshot Effectiveness

Sorry if this is a repost I am pretty sure I was this mentioned in one of the old topics not sure
    Taurus Judge CT

Kahr CM9

Ruger Mark III 22/45 5"

Member #
    Liked
    229 times

At close range, a .410 has the same stopping power as a .44 magnum with the correct ammo. You dont have to worry as much about over-penetration. It would work fine for HD work at less than 20 yards. Just dont expect to take it hunting...
    tucker368 likes this.
    Taurus PT-145 pro, Taurus PT-111 pro, Hi-point c9, Hi-point .45, Wichester SXP Defender, Savage 93r17, Savage Model 110 .308, Ruger 10/22, 1948 Marlin Model 39a, Bushmaster Superlight Carbine, Eaa Zastava PAP AK-47, Springfield XD .40

Defend your right to defend yourself

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Thank you for confirming that I have no idea what these people online are thinking, it seems like every magazine article says it is effective.

Another website/magazine that thinks .410 is effective at these ranges.
    http://www.examiner.com/outdoor-recr...astating-combo

I really can't understand how it couldnt have good stopping power (.36 or .38 caliber pellets!?) other than maybe the pellet weight decreasing the energy. But are they considering all the deep wound tracks??? I dont get them i mean penetration is penetration right? not sure how more weight/energy would make it that much more devastating if it is already penetrating like that I dont get it...

"Up until 2007, my stock answer was always a shotgun. But smoothbores, even the tactical models with their short stocks and barrels, are cumbersome to use and stow. And if there are children in the household, you donít want to keep a scattergun standing in a corner of your bedroom or under the bed.
    So whatís the alternative?
    The Taurus Judge
    Chambered with shotshells, the Judge is less damaging than when using a handgun with high-velocity cartridges that could penetrate a room where children may be, or, continue through a wall/window and into a neighbors home. And unlike handguns that have to be aimed in low or nonexistent light (unless itís equipped with a laser or night sights), the Judge merely needs to be pointed in the right direction as the shotshellsí pattern will effectively spread to cover a target out to eight yards and beyond...The PDX1ís are 2.5 inches long and contain 12 BB size shot and three plated Defense Discís, as Winchester calls them. The three discsís come out first followed by the 12 BB pellets. As you can see from my Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See targets that compliment this article, itís a devastating load that performs exceptionally well within the Judge. Itís an ideal personal defense shell for short-range engagement, and has the performance needed to stop threats (why am I even asking this every magazine/gun website says this)"
    Taurus Judge CT

Kahr CM9

Ruger Mark III 22/45 5"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18367 times

I'd advise that you buy a bagged whole chicken from the meat department of your local grocery store.

Take it home and make sure it is thawed out.

Tie the dead chicken by the legs and drap it over a low-hanging tree limb and dangle it about a foot off the ground. Make sure you have a safe back drop. Then back off and shoot a couple of .410 personal defense buckshot into the carcass; and then log back on and tell us what you think about the effectiveness of the .410 Judge.

It will take you a week for the grin to wear off your face.
    StaminaRx, tucker368 and JimB120 like this.

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: .410 000 Buckshot Effectiveness (410 Home Defense Shotguns)

Thank you for the insight i have no idea what those people are really thinking. Makes no sense to me, I guess they think if they get shot with it at 7-10 yards they'd be fine i dont get it. Four .38 caliber pellets penetrating up to I believe 16" in gelatin sounds very nasty to me
    Taurus Judge CT

Kahr CM9

Ruger Mark III 22/45 5"

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: .410Buckshot Effectiveness (Nevermind i really think those people are idiots)

Damn tried to remove this topic, wouldnt let me. In my opinion and I believe anyone that thinks logically this is a very stupid question to ask. I REALLY don't think those people have ever shot these rounds.........i really have no idea what they are trying to say (lower pellet weight = no penetration....i've seen 15-16" or so for a couple rounds I believe the Federal and Remington Home Defense rounds........uhhhh..........they really think they would be fine after getting shot by it?????)
    Taurus Judge CT

Kahr CM9

Ruger Mark III 22/45 5"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3880 times

Re: .410Buckshot Effectiveness (Nevermind i really think those people are idiots)

None of the current generation of .410 ammo has been tested by third party sources. Typical Internet Commando lore has it that the "Box O' Truth" testing shows that the .410 is valueless as self-defense ammo. Much like the old NIJ testing showed the .380 ACP as having a negative effect in wounding. According to that, you would feel better after being shot with it.

At the very least, a .410 slug, at 900 fps would equal the 230 gr. .45 ACP +P in both muzzle velocity, and weight. The difference in velocity comes from the difference in barrel length.

As for hunting, many a man used a .410 for decades to hunt rabbit, quail, and pheasant. I've also seen it used successfully on squirrel. Range is inferior to a 12 ga., but you rarely need the extra power on small game.

It seems odd to me that the same Commandos poo-poo the .410 as underpowered, but champion the 5.56x45 round, which is almost universally banned for deer sized game.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I hunt ducks, dove, quail, pheasant, rabbit, groundhogs, and squirrel with the .410 and haven't noticed any deficiences in the lethality department. You just have to remember that you are throwing a tiny shot charge and pick your shots accordingly. Inside of 50' I wouldn't want to be shot with ANY .410 load from #9 birdshot to slugs. A .410 slug will turn a 25# groundhog inside out at 40 yards out of my Model 42 with a 28" I.C. barrel.
    Why aren't there any cheap hobbies?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A friend at work has a Taurus Judge, this past weekend we took it to the range and tried out some PDX-1 410 rounds through it. 5 rounds at 7 yards and that paper target was shredded. after seeing that, i would rather be on the business end of any 45 rather than those. those rounds will do some serious damage to a would be attacker.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links