Member #
    Liked
    5310 times

Winchester realeases a new .45 Colt round in the PDX1 category.

There's and article in the new Handguns magazine that might be new to some and old hat to others.

Winchester has a PDX1 round in .45 Colt. It seems that Judge owners were lighting up the switch board for something other than Winchester's .410 rounds. While the .410 rounds are appreciated there was a contingent that wanted a .45 Colt round that could be used. Winchester came up with this.

Product Symbol: S45CPDB

Description:
    The new Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1, which was chosen by the FBI as their primary service round, is now available in a full line of popular handgun calibers. The Bonded PDX1 is engineered to maximize terminal ballistics, as defined by the demanding FBI test protocol, which simulates real-world threats. The new Winchester Bonded PDX is offered in 9mm, 40 Smith & Wesson, 45 automatic and .38 special.

Suggested Use:

Cartridge: 45 ColtBullet Weight: 225Muzzle Velocity: 850Ballistic Co-efficient: Barrel Length: 3.00" Vented

In testing the .45 Colt 225 gr. PDX1 it seems that the bullet will take a chunk out of the wallboard ,spit the chunk out and then expand dynamically.

Here is the results from Pat Sweeney's testing. Muzzle velocity was 829 feet per second. Groups came in at 3.0 inches.

That's from a 3 inch barreled Judge with a 2.5 inch chamber.
    If you already know about this then move on, there is nothing to see here. Or..... now you know.

This could go to the Factory Ammo board, but since it had to do with the Judge, and yes, other .45 Colt revolvers will do well with it, I thought that it might get more exposure here than at the Factory Ammo board. If it gets moved, no biggy.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re: Winchester realeases a new .45 Colt round in the PDX1 category.

I purchased a box of these back in August and they worked fine. They grouped about the same as the Silvertips out of my PD.
    Taurus Judge PD/UL
    Taurus Judge Poly
    Taurus Judge UL/CT laser grips
    Taurus Judge Magnum/CT laser grips
    S&W Governor/CT laser grips
    S&W Mod 66 .357/CT laser grips
    S&W Mod 3953 9mm
    S&W Walther PPK .380
    Springfield Armory .45
    SIG 228 9mm/CT laser grips
    3- Hi Power 9mm's

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20360 times

I like the 45 acp caliber in the PDX1. It is a hotter load but not +P but I haven't notice any substantial increase in recoil.... I like the round alot. If I had a judge I would keep it chambered when not out shooting.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times

If I'm going with 225 grain bullets, it will be the Hornady Flextip @ 960 fps. Its faster, cheaper and I believe more accurate.

My current preference in the .45LC is the Speer 250 grain Gold Dots. I don't know the velocity (but probably around 900 fps) but that 250 grain bullet is honking huge and it still kicks less than the Federal PD #000 BS round.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

The 45 colt loads like this one are probably best used for defense for 2 legged creatures in the Judge, and reserve the shotshells for varmints.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17627 times

Thanks, "professor", for your diligent research and concise presentation of a round that will, I'm sure, stir some interest within the Taurus Judge community.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Saw a box of these at Academy Sports here in HOU today... I had to see what they were about. It is one nasty looking round! I'd sure hate to ever have to see one of them from the business end...

A little pricey at $24.99 per 20, but I had to get a box... Will shoot them later this week to see how they feel...

Member #
    Liked
    6089 times

Hey the 45 long colt is potent in most any loading!
    the Dekalb police used the 45 long colt as its carry wepaon for decades.
    They were also outfitted with the Taser about as soon as anyone in the state.
    times change however!
    seems not to many criminals were surviving even one shot incidents, we could not have that as Deklab county citizens are killing folks off every night faster than anywhere in the state.
    so take away the 45 long colt, issue the glock 9mm, Uh OH! to many tasers being used take away the taser!
    Oh hell, now we got more Police shootings, they are shooting criminals 7-8 times!!
    Oh hell lets issue tasers again!-Oh my god what are these people thinking??
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links