Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moon Rings to shoot .45 ACP in the Judge?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Moon Rings to shoot .45 ACP in the Judge?

I just saw on You Tube a guy using moon rings to snap .45 ACP into,
    that make the Judge capable of shooting them.I found these rings
    at USA Midway.net.I ordered 1 pack-(5) ..$15 drive out.
    Has anyone tried these things?Are they safe?They seemed to do
    good on the You Tube video.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Re: Moon Rings to shoot .45 ACP in the Judge?

I would probably contact Taurus and ask them if it ok because if they are not and something happens to you or the gun you could be in for a world of hurt.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

I just measured my Judge's chambers. They measured (with regular calipers so not 100% accurate) between .482 and .485 inches.

.45 colt = .476 case neck (.480 spec) Hornady Leverevolution ammo
    .45 acp = .471 case neck (.473 spec) Federal Premium ammo

When you fire the .45 acp in a .482 chamber it has to expand 11 thousandths of an inch. That's a lot of expansion for a cartridge case. In the largest chamber measured (in my gun, of course) thats 14 thousandths!

Although you can probably get away with it, you run the risk of splitting cases. If a case splits the best case scenario: that case wont extract. Worst case: the case head separates and your gun goes kaboom.

The other issue is pressure. SAAMI max pressures:
    .45ACP = 21,000PSI
    .45ACP +P = 23,000PSI
    .45 Colt = 14,000PSI
    2.5in .410 = 12,500PSI
    3in .410 = 13,500PSI

As you can see there is a significant increase in pressure when jumping from .45ACP to .45 Colt. Of course these are the max pressures, and the actual pressure of the .45ACP you fire could be much lower.

I definitely wouldn't reload that brass.

If you call Taurus don't ask if you can shoot .45ACP in the Judge. They will just tell you it isn't chambered for .45ACP and you cant shoot it. Ask them about reloading for the judge, and if it can handle high power heavy loads.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    In a world of talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

You know the other funny thing about duct tape? There are hundreds of uses, but it's not used for ducts. Go figure...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1595 times

I would NOT do it!!! It's probably tempting, since 45 acps are usually cheaper and more plentiful than 45 LCs. Resist the temptation.

Years ago I had a Ruger combo Blackhawk: 45 LC and 45 ACP. BUT - - - - they were separate cylinders. BTW, the 45 acp cylinder was machined to provide a chambering ridge for the 45 acps, since moon clips don't work on a SA.

Don't do it!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

With the stats that DC Photo has come up with,I probably just threw 15 bucks away.Guess I'll do more research prior to purchase next time.It sure looked cool on You Tube.Oh well.A good conversation piece.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16577 times

Yep, dcphoto just gave us all a "college education".

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy
    Yep, dcphoto just gave us all a "college education".

Thanks.
    Easy there! I never finished college.

I enjoy the intricacies of operation that firearms offer. I enjoy figuring out how parts interact, and how the tolerances affect the function of the machine. If I was smarter I probably could have become an engineer. The only problem is that I have difficulty imagining new things. I'd have no trouble in a job where I could improve on existing designs.

I also enjoy teaching. The only problem with teaching here is that my writing style is somewhat crass, so I get the impression that some people think I'm a jerk when I'm just trying to educate. I make no apologies for being crass, but I do apologize for when I am genuinely a jerk.

Edit: Also, let me add to my dissertation from above. Although the max case pressure for ACP is way above the max for Colt, the actual loaded pressure is going to be somewhat less. I imagine (although I have no evidence for this) that a factory round of ACP would be less pressure than a .45 Colt proof load. Since the gun has to be able to handle pressures in excess of the proof load, the frame and cylinder should be able to handle the pressure from .45ACP. The problem will occur if a case head separated.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

You know the other funny thing about duct tape? There are hundreds of uses, but it's not used for ducts. Go figure...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

When you say "proof" load,you mean maximum load?I looked your ballistics up and you were right on.I never even thought of pressure.I just figured
    the moon rings would allow me to shoot the .45 ACP in the Judge.
    College or not.You brought up some pretty critical facts.Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Bayhawk, just wondering? Did Midway say the moon clips were for a Judge?
    John

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Quote Originally Posted by bayhawk2
    When you say "proof" load,you mean maximum load?
    A proof load is an intentionally overloaded cartridge, fired in a gun in order to prove that the chamber is safe. AFAIK, there is no law in the US that requires proof loads to be fired before the gun can be sold, but that requirement does exist in some of Europe.

The information I can find says that SAAMI specs for proof loads call for overloading between 33-44% higher than nominal pressure. The actual amount of overloading depends on the cartridge. A low pressure cartridge will have a bigger increase than a high pressure cartridge.

Information about proof loads has been surprisingly hard to come by. As I find more information I'll try to post it for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links