Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Heres a review on the Taurus .454 (pictures included)

Member #
    Liked
    520 times

Heres a review on the Taurus .454 (pictures included)

(I originally posted this on another gun board)

Today I picked up the speedloaders for my Taurus .454 Casull from the post office and it has inspired me to write a review of sorts for this amazing revolver.

I will start with some specs and features from the Taurus company.

Caliber: .454 Casull
    Capacity: 5
    Barrel Length: 8-3/8"
    Porting: YES
    Action: DA/SA
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Front Sight: Patridge
    Grooves Turn: Right
    Grooves: 6
    Frame: Large
    Trigger Type: Smooth
    Construction: Steel
    Weight: 63 oz
    Height: 6.20"
    Width: 1.775"
    Rate of Twist: 1:24"
    Grips: Rubber w/Cushioned Insert
    Finish: Matte Stainless Steel

Features:

Dual lockup cylinder
    Provides stability under extreme chamber pressures.

Cushioned insert grip
    Exclusive on the RAGING Series large frame revolvers, Cushioned insert grip pillows recoil and makes shooting comfort a reality.

Porting
    Referred to as factory tuned porting and gas expansion chamber for recoil and makes shooting comfort a reality.

Transfer Bar
    The transfer bar mechanism prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear.

Taurus Security System (TSS)rs
    Taurus family of semi-auto pistols all feature the Taurus Security System, which provides instant-ready defense with built-in ability to secure your pistol and make it inoperable at the turn of a key. When the Security System is engaged, the pistol cannot be fired or cocked and the gun's manual safety cannot be disengaged. As with our revolver Security System, the device is part of the firearm and cannot be lost, and the same special Security Key works for both the revolver and pistol Systems (two keys come with each gun). To engage: simply insert the Key into the button on the rear or side of the pistol and rotate one-quarter turn clockwise. This engages the Security System. The manual safety cannot be moved and the trigger cannot be pulled. To disengage: simply rotate the key one-quarter turn back. This releases the Security System, yet leaves the pistol's manual safety in the "safe" position until you are ready to release it yourself and fire the gun.

The Taurus took a year to arrive from the date of purchase. I hear this is pretty standard when trying to get a Taurus in Canada. However it is well worth the wait.
    I have also heard that if it does need repairs this can take just as long but barring the unexpected I hope it doesnt need any real repairs for a long time.

This is a Large handgun capable of firing both .45 colt and .454
    For its size it is in no way cumbersome, in fact it is surprisingly light in the hand. This is due to the MIM micro injected metal process of manufacturing.
    This method is used to create extremely tough precision parts that are a fration the size of conventional steel parts.

The combination of downward porting and barrel length to reduce muzzle jump and improve accuracy and gel filled rubber grips to reduce felt recoil
    make this gun is a pleasure to shoot and highly accurate. Weather you use the .454 or the slightly less aggressive .45 Colt.

Im a left handed shooter and I find this gun to be just as easy to use left or right handed. Im also a large guy with large mitts so although the gun fits my hands perfectly it may be large for some shooters.

I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists so I cant take a whole lot of punishment from recoil. I find there is little to no felt recoil from the .45 Colt yet it is a very satisfying round to shoot. I can use this gun all day and not feel sore from recoil.

The .454 is a slightly longer case and does pack a little more punch than the .45 Colt. Fired with this gun the .454 is also quite agreeable but can be a bit tiring on the wrists after a while. For this reason many including myself prefer to stick with the .45 Colt for target practice.

I have heard a lot of whining across the internet from people saying that shooting .45 Colt from the .454 creates a lip of residue to build up inside the chambers. This buildup eventually creates a problem fitting the bullets into the chamber and keeps the revolving barrel from closing. They carry on like its the end of the world of a serious defect... every time I read about this complaint all I have to say is CLEAN YOUR GUN STUPID! I clean mine after every use and there is ABSOLUTELY no buildup! :rockon:

Being a revolver and only five rounds at that the pistol crowd complain that it doesnt hold enough ammo and it takes too long to reload. Excuse me... If it takes more than five shots with a .454 forget reloading... run!. Anyway for those like myself who just dont like to waste time at the range reloading constantly there is a solution. The speedloader! this device I mentioned earlier is amazing. They are made from high quality aluminum shaped like a small revolving barrel with a plug on one side. A small wheel holds the bullets in place and with a twist of the plug releases them into the gun. For a long time many couldnt find speedloaders for the .454 5 round until recently I stumbled upon a company completely by accident called "5 star firearms" they manufacture some top quality speedloaders! Their loaders are a good price and the customer service is excellent.

I have fired hundreds of bullets through this gun now but at the cost of around a buck a bullet it can be costly. This gun has never malfunctioned and looks and shoots like the day it arrived. IMO this gun is a real winner!

I hope this helps anybody who might be thinking about getting a new handgun.
    Bender likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18851 times
    Thanks for the excellent write-up and the fine photo of your hand-cannon!

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    Sweet.... Tauri makes some fine guns which makes it hard to decide which one is next. Great report
    U.S ARMY/NATIONAL GUARD VET RETIRED In a man to man fight the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. ERWIN ROMMEL May god have mercy upon my enemies because I wont. GEORGE PATTON

Member #
    Liked
    1254 times
    That's a bad mother - I wouldn't want to be in your line of fire! Nice piece.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4861 times
    Great pics and nice write up, that Duracell sure puts things into prospective. I really would not want to be on the other end of that puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    GREAT review and pictures!
    I purchased a Raging Bull .454 Casull with a 6 1/2" barrel. I love to shoot this thing. I shoot .45lc to keep the price inline some. There is definately a difference between the felt recoil of the .45lc and .454 casull on mine, although it's not crazy! That could be due to the shorter barrel. Either way I love my Bull!!
    MO
    In God We Trust!

NY/FL/UT CCW

LaSalle S.C./NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Great write up very thorough, I want one!
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun.
    Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle.
    --- Daisaku Ikeda

"Gun control is for people who want to be controlled"
    ---AdesteAnimo

Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    Thanks!
    The gun is gentle as a kitten... so long as your on the right end of it.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    That things is a beast!!!

Member #
    Liked
    3901 times
    Great review, there is one line I really enjoyed too.

"CLEAN YOUR GUN STUPID!"

This solves so many problems people have with Taurus guns that it's almost not even funny anymore.
    Bender likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links