Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Firearms ownership in other countries...

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times

Question Firearms ownership in other countries...

This question is for those who are citizens of non-US countries -- especially those in the UK, as it seems we have a few members from there.

In your given country, in you own experience, how do most people feel about private firearms ownership?
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverFan View Post
    This question is for those who are citizens of non-US countries -- especially those in the UK, as it seems we have a few members from there.

In your given country, in you own experience, how do most people feel about private firearms ownership?
    Most people in the UK are anti firearms ownership. It basically stems from the media and governments stance on privatly owned firearms. As in comparision to other contries we are relitivly small over the past 20 years we have had some major incidents that have resulted in tighter firearms restrictions and the current media / Government stance

To highlight a few

Hungerford massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (resulting in the banning of semi-auto center fire rifles and restrictions on high capacity shotguns)

Dunblane massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (banning of short firearms eg. All pistols and revolvers other than black powder or revolvers with a barrel legnth of 12")

Cumbria shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Currently firearms legeslation is under review. The NRa have been advised there will be no knee jerk reactions or bans however restrictions may be imposed)

Our current government is neither pro or anti. However the priminister who does deer stalk has advised that the actions of 1 mentaly unsound person cannot be legislated against. There is going to be a review on ownership of .22 pistol after they olympics. They are currently banned unders section 5 of the 1958 fireamrs act ammendment 1997. however the sports governing bodies are lobbying to have them reintroduced for competition use. hopfully they will be sucsessfull.

Hope the info helps

rgs

Chris
    Last edited by chrismetallica1; 08-08-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Most people in the UK are anti firearms ownership. It basically stems from the media and governments stance on privately owned firearms.
    Our current government is neither. pro or anti. However the priminister who does deer stalk has advised that the actions of 1 mentally unsound person cannot be legislated against. There is going to be a review on ownership of .22 pistol after they olympics. They are currently banned under section 5 of the 1958 firearms act amendment 1997. however the sports governing bodies are lobbying to have them reintroduced for competition use. hopefully they will be successful.

Hope the info helps. rgs Chris
    Thanks Chris! I didn't know if anyone would reply to this! Your info does help us understand more where you are at. I also hope that You do gain back some of your hunting and firearms rights. At least your current government is not completely averse to it!

Member #
    Liked
    442 times
    Cheers, Hopefully we will regain what we were once allowed. It is a shame that the media and some police forces mistakes have got us were we are

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    No kidding. I've been watching w/ interest all the stuff which is happening in London, etc. I hope the riots don't bring more restrictions...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for the response Chris.
    Do many people in the UK respond to you in a negative way if they find out you own firearms?

Member #
    Liked
    442 times
    Its a mixed bag really. Some people just asky about shooting whats envolved competions ect. They are usually ok when you explain what is envolved in liscencing, Joining a club, the NRA and secure storage. They tend to be intrested in what match or competition entails. I usually take time to explain to them and show them an NRA gallery rifle match book and medals ect. usually what they have herd in media over the years is far from the truth. Some people have even asked about going to a club and have then visited an open day to see it for themselves. However there are the ones who act negativly when they find out. Mainly because they dont understand shooting or shooting sports or privately owend firearms. They usually fall in to 1 of 2 cagegories

The first : Totaly anti shooting and hunting. They belive everything in the media and think that you must be evil to own firearms and target shooting or hunting should be banned.. Even though they probably eat meat themselves

The second are usually worse: They dont understand privatly owned firearms or that shooting could be a sport. This type usually make unfunny jokes and comments about going postal and make refrences to past tragedies such as Hungerford, Dunblane or Cumbria.

Some people I know do not ever mention they shoot at all, as they want to avoid uncomftable refrences or attitudes towards them or the sport. I dont hide that I shoot and compete on the national circuit. I dont feel that any good can come from making it a secret. People will never learn what is entailed and how much of a fun and safe sport it can be if everything is kept secret.
    Last edited by chrismetallica1; 08-11-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    RevolverFan and smithlock like this.

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Its a mixed bag really. Some people just asky about shooting whats envolved competions ect. They are usually ok when you explain what is envolved in liscencing, Joining a club, the NRA and secure storage. They tend to be intrested in what match or competition entails. I usually take time to explain to them and show them an NRA gallery rifle match book and medals ect. usually what they have herd in media over the years is far from the truth. Some people have even asked about going to a club and have then visited an open day to see it for themselves. However there are the ones who act negativly when they find out. Mainly because they dont understand shooting or shooting sports or privately owend firearms. They usually fall in to 1 of 2 cagegories

The first : Totaly anti shooting and hunting. They belive everything in the media and think that you must be evil to own firearms and target shooting or hunting should be banned.. Even though they probably eat meat themselves

The second are usually worse: They dont understand privatly owned firearms or that shooting could be a sport. This type usually make unfunny jokes and comments about going postal and make refrences to past tragedies such as Hungerford, Dunblane or Cumbria.

Some people I know do not ever mention they shoot at all, as they want to avoid uncomftable refrences or attitudes towards them or the sport. I dont hide that I shoot and compete on the national circuit. I dont feel that any good can come from making it a secret. People will never learn what is entailed and how much of a fun and safe sport it can be if everything is kept secret.
    Thanks very much for the synopsis!

I find it extremely telling that, given the wide gulf between UK firearms laws and US firearms laws, the reactions and attitudes (at least in my experience) are nearly identical. As with so many things, the attitudes seem to boil down to either boldfaced ignorance of something unfamiliar and/or different, or (worse) conditioning and miss-education at the hands of the media and others who have drawn a (usually emotion-driven) conclusion and formed their opinions, yet don't really understand the issue themselves.
    smithlock likes this.
    The Second Amendment: Protecting the Constitution and Freedom since 1791.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this Chris -- we appreciate it!

Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    I would hope that there would be a little more support for firearms ownership now after a lot of middle class shops got looted after the riots and the bobbies were ineffective in preventing it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links