Taurus Firearm Forum banner

50 Years Together...

9K views 94 replies 67 participants last post by  MilProGuy 
#1 · (Edited)

50 Years Together...

One summer's Sunday morning, she came into my life. She was visiting our church services for the first time with a young lady who was a member of our congregation. She was dressed in a tan dress with dark brown piping, which matched her chestnut-brown eyes, her purse, and her shoes. I was totally mesmerized by her graceful elegance and beauty. I was so shy, and at a loss of words, that I didn't stick around after the service to be introduced to her.

At the dinner table that day, my Dad asked me if I had noticed the lovely young lady who was visiting the service with another young woman who was a member of the congregation. I nodded the I had, and he asked me: "Well, what's her name?".

I replied, "I don't know. I didn't introduce myself to her after church."

After dinner, Dad pulled me aside and asked me why I had not introduced myself to the girl.

I replied: "Well, first of all, I was too shy to approach her. Secondly, she is a grown woman, and I'm just eighteen-years-old, and fresh out of high school. Dad, she's just out of my league."

Dad smiled and placed his loving hand on my shoulder and said: "My dear son, you are standing on the threshold of manhood, so don't allow a little age difference stop you; besides, you have always seemed to be mature beyond your years. Let me assure you that no one is out of your league. In my opinion, you are selling yourself short. You're a fine, upstanding young man. You are sensitive, kind, and courteous; and this young lady, from her appearance, her tasteful mode of dress, and judging from the way she carries herself, would be the perfect match for you. I strongly encourage you to introduce yourself to her tonight if she is present during the evening church service. This girl may very well be the woman you end up marrying."

I took my father's advice and introduced myself to the hauntingly beautiful young woman that evening.

My Dad's keen fatherly instincts proved to be right on the mark. Fourteen months later, on September 19, 1965, Miss Charlotte Jones became my wife! We were married in the church where we first met, and my Dad was my Best Man at our wedding. He passed from this life into eternity on February 1, 2015...so my Best Man is no longer with me. However, the lovely and gracious woman who took my last name is still by my side, and has been steadfast and faithful to me since the day we made our wedding vows to one another. There is no doubt in my mind that God blessed me with this precious woman as my wife and the loving Mother of our two sons.

I conclude this essay with a most appropriate word of Scripture:

"Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies."

Event Ceremony Wedding Tree Wedding reception

Art Picture frame Collection Room Visual arts

Art Picture frame Collection Pattern Miniature

See less See more
#31 ·
Thanks, Harry, for letting us know of this celebration of two lives committed to one another. You and Charlotte are a great example to us all. Blessings, friend!

Reactions: MilProGuy
#63 ·
I appreciate your most kind and thoughtful comments.

Harry, you managed to do what a lot of us struggle mightily at. Good on ya and God Bless ya both.

P.S.. I'm ringin' up my 14th year with my Irish-Italian beauty myself tomorrow.
Congratulations on your fourteen years of marriage! :clap:

Congratulations to you both Harry! That is a rare accomplishment in this day and age.
Thank you, Bob.

It saddens me sometimes when I ponder the reality of your last comment.

Congratulations MPG. 50 years and still going strong. You two make a great couple.
Thank you. She does make me look good! :D

#64 ·
I appreciate it. We are blessed; we were blessed with healthy and beautiful twin sons in 1967. They have grown into godly, responsible family men who have blessed us with loving daughters-in-law and six grandchildren and two precious great-grandchildren.

Congratulations Harry! I too met my future wife at church, I was 17, she 15 in 1962. I too was captured by the eyes. ( Hers are blue) We were married in 1967. My dad was also my best man and best friend. Best thing that ever happened to me.
It is touching to learn of the sweet similarities of our life stories. I appreciate your sharing a bit of yours with us.

CONGRATULATIONS... I hope you both enjoy many more years to come!
I appreciate it, friend. I am looking forward to ever how many years I have I left with my dear wife.

Missed this when you first posted, Harry. Glad I came across it today. Congrats to both of you. If takes two people to make a marriage and 50 years together is something to be proud of. Makes my 37 years with my lovely wife pale in comparison! Can't think of anything better than someone to share your life with. We are both very lucky men and blessed beyond words.
Mike,

I'm pleased that you came across this thread, as well, and appreciate your taking the time to express your congratulatory musings with me.

#38 ·
Congratulations Harry! I too met my future wife at church, I was 17, she 15 in 1962. I too was captured by the eyes. ( Hers are blue) We were married in 1967. My dad was also my best man and best friend. Best thing that ever happened to me.

#39 ·
I feel it no coincidence that a relationship born in the church, and grown in the church has survived. Folks in my generation fail to understand how important the relationship part is and focus on physical attraction, and any relationship where the almighty has a hand is going to be in a whole different league from a relationship without godly ties.

I met my bride when I was 13. She was 9 at the time. We couldn't stand each other then. I went through high school at odds with her, and her parents didn't care for me and my loud music and "fancy driving". We each dated a few people and kept seeing each other periodically at walmart and such. After college we ran into each other and out of boredom went to dinner just for something to do, not even as a date...in fact we tried to recruit other folks to go with us. We ended up going alone and have been together since. We were married by the preacher who had the church we met at, my dad was my best man, and oh my goodness the stories that got told on us at the rehearsal and reception. We are 4 years and 9 days in at this point, and we hope to have a solid run of another 50 or 60 years.

It is couples like you who are an inspiration to my generation. Thank you, and may the good Lord bless you with many more years...and lots of grandkids. Congratulations is simply not a strong enough word.

#65 · (Edited)
I believe that God knows our essence when we are but a speck in our mothers' womb; and that He has a plan for each individual's life...to include who we marry, whether or not we will be blessed with children, and the intended paths He has for our lives. The choice to be obedient to the His unmistakable leadership is ours to either follow or ignore.

When I was a teen, I would have chosen to be sidetracked from the straight and narrow path had it not been for my father's firm discipline and insistence that I attend Sunday School and church services, as well as Wednesday night prayer services. When I got a job in a local grocery store at the age of 16, Dad relaxed the requirement that I be present for Wednesday evening services; however, his mandate that I be in the house of the Lord on Sundays still held fast. If he had been lax in enforcing this, I most likely would never have even met Charlotte, much less married her.

I sincerely appreciate you sharing your heartfelt story, and I'm sure that many others who read it will be touched by it, as well.

Reactions: dcc
#41 ·
Congratulations Harry, I hope my wife and myself will be as blessed as you two are.

#66 · (Edited)
#42 ·
Congratulations.

#44 ·
Congratulations to you and your lovely bride, with blessings of many more.

#67 ·
I pray that we will have many more years of health and prosperity in our marriage. Should it all end tomorrow, I have been blessed far beyond what I deserve.

Congratulations, sir. In this life you are truly blessed to find a person that gives you such peace. Far too many couples lose their partner over such a long span of time to illness or injury. Again, congratulations. :)
You are so right, my friend. I have attended numerous funerals during the past year where I have offered my condolences to men and women who have lost their mates. These occasions serve to remind me of how fragile and tentative our lives really are in our twilight years.

#46 ·
Congratulations, sir. In this life you are truly blessed to find a person that gives you such peace. Far too many couples lose their partner over such a long span of time to illness or injury. Again, congratulations. :)

#47 ·
Congratulations Harry, you are indeed blessed!

#50 ·
Congratulations! Next week, i'll be 25 laps behind you. May you have many more.

#72 · (Edited)
She has taught me more about the unconditional love of God than the best sermon I ever heard. At one point in my life I wasn't too easy to love, but she never wavered in her faith in me and her love has never failed me.

Shoot guns? On rare occasions (about twice a year) she'll get her TCP out and fire a magazine of her old defensive ammo out, just to stay acquainted with her handgun...but a Sekol she ain't!

Congratulations to the lovely couple. Here's to another 50 years.:)
She has been patient with me these first fifty years, but I don't wanna' push my luck and plan on another fifty. Besides, I want to die young and leave a handsome corpse. :cool:

What a blessed gift it is when the Lord brings a man and woman together, we also will be celebrating our 50th July 16th 2016

Congratulations!!!
Well praise the Lord! My congratulations in advance to you and your wife!

Reactions: Rossi
#52 ·
Congratulations to the lovely couple. Here's to another 50 years.:)

#53 ·
What a blessed gift it is when the Lord brings a man and woman together, we also will be celebrating our 50th July 16th 2016

Congratulations!!!

#73 · (Edited)
Looking back on the roads in life we've traveled, I am rather pleased at this milestone in our lives.

Incomparable women. Charlotte and Otter sound a lot alike.

If I believed in reincarnation and Karma I would have to wonder what heroic deeds I had done in a previous life to deserve the woman who has blessed this life so much.

We haven't quite made 50 yet, but I am looking forward to it.

If you and Charlotte have anywhere near what we are blessed with, you are among the most fortunate on the planet.

Now go give her a hug. :wave:
Whether by Karma, Fate, Destiny, or by Divine Providence, I consider myself to be one of the most blessed men in our nation. I honestly believe that God, in His Infinite Wisdom, caused our paths to cross that morning at a church service in 1964; and ignited the spark of chemistry and helped fan the flames of affection between us.

From what you've shared, I'd venture to guess that The Almighty had a hand in orchestrating your marriage, as well.

Best thread I've read in a very long time, congratulations to you and your lovely lady ....hope to read when the both of you celebrate many more ...you are a vanishing breed, this generation of couples staying together for a prolonged period of time is very rare indeed, believe I read that people getting married now, the odds are 50-50 that they'll stay together for five years ...
Thanks for the proverbial "roses", my friend.

Reactions: MadKaw
#55 ·
Incomparable women. Charlotte and Otter sound a lot alike.

If I believed in reincarnation and Karma I would have to wonder what heroic deeds I had done in a previous life to deserve the woman who has blessed this life so much.

We haven't quite made 50 yet, but I am looking forward to it.

If you and Charlotte have anywhere near what we are blessed with, you are among the most fortunate on the planet.

Now go give her a hug. :wave:

#57 ·
Best thread I've read in a very long time, congratulations to you and your lovely lady ....hope to read when the both of you celebrate many more ...you are a vanishing breed, this generation of couples staying together for a prolonged period of time is very rare indeed, believe I read that people getting married now, the odds are 50-50 that they'll stay together for five years ...

#62 ·
Missed this when you first posted, Harry. Glad I came across it today. Congrats to both of you. If takes two people to make a marriage and 50 years together is something to be proud of. Makes my 37 years with my lovely wife pale in comparison! Can't think of anything better than someone to share your life with. We are both very lucky men and blessed beyond words.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.