Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Thoughts on Online Gun Auctions - Gunbroker, Etc.

3K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  sid1 
#1 ·
I was looking at the Gunbroker website last night for the first time and it looked
like a place where if one knew what they were doing, they could get some great
firearm related deals! It also looked like a place where someone could get burned
by a scam artist or another unscrupulous person. What are your thoughts about
using a site like Gunbroker to get firearms and related items and what should I
look for before closing a deal if I decide to sign up there? Should I stay away
from individual dealers and stick to the corporate ones there? I would like some
insight before I get involved and start an account there.

#2 ·
I was looking at the Gunbroker website last night for the first time and it looked
like a place where if one knew what they were doing, they could get some great
firearm related deals! It also looked like a place where someone could get burned
by a scam artist or another unscrupulous person.
What are your thoughts about
using a site like Gunbroker to get firearms and related items and what should I
look for before closing a deal if I decide to sign up there? Should I stay away
from individual dealers and stick to the corporate ones there? I would like some
insight before I get involved and start an account there.
I think both are valid points and/or concerns.

I've never had the desire to participate in those kind of sites but I believe many folks do so hopefully you'll get some firsthand advice.

Reactions: darbo
#3 ·
Ive purchased all my firearms except my 911 from gunbroker, gunsamerica, or gunauction. The only advice I have for you is about individual sellers. Make sure they are willing to ship from their ffl unless your ffl accepts private party shipments. And with the dealers on there pay close attention to if they charge a credit card fee as it will not reflect in the price until you call to make payment. I pay mostly with money order and always send it priority mail with tracking. Just keep your eyes open and you will get better deals from these sites then at your local shops. As always stay away from wiring money to pay and good luck.

#5 ·
These sites are my only option for the 900 series I might add. Also my sister has used these sites for the purchase of 10 or more firearms. They really are as safe as online retailers. For some dealers thats their only online sales options. Im not saying that a scam isnt possible, but your odds are good that it wont.

#6 ·
GunBroker is safe....if you deal with the right people.

1. Make sure the member you buy from has the FFL or Verified Member badge next to his/her username.

2. If they don't have those badges, ensure their feedback is nearly 100% positive. Also check to see they have completed a significant number of transactions.

Follow the two steps above and you can find some really great deals like I did:

- Colt Detective Special final issue (1993 production) in mint condition for under $400 shipped

- S&W SD40 VE for under $290 shipped, new in box

- S&W Model 681, circa 1982, in very good condition for $307 shipped

#7 ·
I have purchased several guns on gun broker. Here is what I pay attention to:

• Know your limit, this includes shipping, FFL fee, credit card fee, and tax if in the same state.
  • Check the ratings of the sellers before you bid. I do not discredit an occasional negative, after all it is hard to please everyone. If the negative is about not shipping gun I would be a little concerned.
  • If unsure about an item or condition contact them. I try to do it by phone often email will not get answered in time.
  • Trust your gut feeling and don't bid if you are concerned.
  • Line up a FFL on your side 1st and confirm they will take private transfers.
  • Reread the 1st bullet point, it is to easy to get caught up and over pay.

I also found bidding odd amounts like $400.23 will often get you the win when you are nearing a fair price on an item. You will beat out the same person that had a $400.00 bid.

I have not been let down yet and have been more then surprised on the better then expected condition of 3 guns I received.

What pisses me off is these people that sell all the time and have high user ratings very rarely will leave feed back back. I send payment and FFL within 1 day and have only been able to get 50% of the sellers to leave feed back.:mad:

#8 ·
If you follow the advice of previous posters you won't get burned. I have bought several guns on Gun Broker and had very satisfactory results.

#10 ·
It's not for me, just my humble opinion.

#12 ·
I bought 2 magazines for my Steyr from GunBroker. I've yet to buy a gun, but I wouldn't hesitate to if the price was right.

#13 ·
I've bought 6 handguns, 8 mags and 3 grips on gunbroker. No problems at all.

#16 ·
I've only bought one gun in my life on line and was from gunbroker.com, a GP100. I had been looking for one of these for 2+ years to replace one I stupidly sold 10 years ago. The bid winning price was fair, the seller was a pleasure to do business with and the transaction went smoothly, and most important, I'm a happy camper.
(The grips were added after the purchase)

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

#17 ·
I've picked up 3 guns from Gunbroker and was satisfied every time. As has already been mentioned, look for the FFL and/or
verified sellers, and you shouldn't have a problem. I'm sure most of the non-verified, private sellers there are on the up and up,
but I still like to play it safe.

#18 ·
I shop on Gunbroker quite a bit. I bought a Kimber 1911, 2 Uberti 1873 Cattleman pistols, an MSAR STG-E4(takes any standard AR mag), a Winchester 1894 Cowboy Commemorative 30/30 and a SCAR-17s(still paying on the SCAR - also bought 3 additional FN mags for it from a different seller). I had a few problems with the MSAR seller and won't deal with them again - they did finally get things straightened out but lied to me several times and sent the wrong rifle the first time(the older MSAR STG-556 which took MSAR's proprietary mags). I bought several firearms after this purchase and haven't had anymore problems.

Sent from my Eludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator using Tapatalk

Reactions: btleslie
#19 ·
It is a good way to get deals but figure out final cost
cost of weapon cost of shipping and handling from seller cost of added credit card fees I do pay 3% and use credit card due to if dont get or not correct item as sold credit card will allow dispute charge and lastly how much to pick up from you ffl som charge as much as 50 so not alway as good of deal as you thought and follow what nypd and fishingkeylargo said

jhp
I have purchsed 2 gsg compact 1911 22lr from there for others and all was fine.My personal guns i will feel the trigger pull and rack the slide before i buy

#23 ·
I would like nothing better than to find all the firearms, mags, parts and accessories at my LGS but even with that shop being the 6th largest they don't have everything, so I buy from where I can get them. Much of the time that place is one of the auction sights, Gun broker is the largest but other will have good deals too.

A lot of great advice but I can add something I learned from Ebay, search for odd or misspelled listings, many of us are fat fingered and mess up. I have got a few deals because with a bad listing no one is watching.

#25 ·
A lot of great advice but I can add something I learned from Ebay, search for odd or misspelled listings, many of us are fat fingered and mess up. I have got a few deals because with a bad listing no one is watching.
Don't give all the secrets away. Think that is how I got the last one at a good price.

Reactions: stallard
#27 ·
I have bought from an auction site a dozen or more times. Not just guns, but also ammo and a couple of holsters.
If buying a firearm, in addition to the shipping and insurance, also figure that the F.F.L. transfer fee as part of the price. I am not a gunsmith, so I also consider the bench fee of my gunsmith's safety check and sonic cleaning as part of the price when buying a used firearm.
I have found that pawn shops charge a smaller fee than the L.G.S. (I have a local guy that charges $20, which includes the "call" for up to 5 transfers on the same ticket.)
Always get a Tracking number. I didn't get one a few times, and it made me nervous while waiting.
Look for used guns that have been tested by the seller and who vouches as to the guns condition. I have one revolver that is a problem and was a bad deal because I took that chance. My Bad. My Lesson. (Purchase, shipping, F.F.L. fee, and bench fee came to almost $300, but it does not function nor can it be fixed to shoot in S.A.) I'll be lucky to get $200 as a "Double Action Only" handgun....OUCH! BTW It's a Taurus m94 that is NOT covered by the Warranty.
Here's a hint that I didn't see mentioned: Auction Arms and Gun Broker both have a list of participating F.F.L. transfer dealers. Check that list to find who in your area is familiar with the process. It might be a "bench" smithy, a Hardware store, or even a car body shop (Yup). They can just usually FAX their license (anyone can) so that you can use a Cr. Cd. (extra 3-4%) and get the purchase a few days sooner. I like to keep the paperwork and payment together, so I just use a U.S.P.O. Money Order and send the License copy with it through the Mail. I use the U.S.P.O. money order because I don't like using my Cr. Cd. on the computer. There is nothing safer than the Post Office. (Who's gonna mess with the Postal Inspector, right?)
Happy Hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.