Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Found Ammo.. :)

Member #
    Liked
    3663 times

Re: Found Ammo.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    I bought a box of 550 round Federal .22 LR from a co-worker with about 100 rounds gone out of it for $12.00. Best ammo deal I had in a while.
    $12.00 for roughly 450 rounds, those are almost old normal prices for .22's. Good job on that one.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    yeah I was buying those 550 round boxes before Christmas at wal Mart pretty much anytime. I miss those days
    "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll" BonScott AC/DC

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Ben Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    2849 times
    I was given 100 rounds of .22lr yesterday... My girlfriends dad felt bad I guess. I am picking up my .22 rifle this weekend but ya can't find ammo anywhere right now. So he split his stock with me. I asked what he wanted for them since they are worth their weight in gold right now, he said he only wanted me to shoot them. Great guy. I will remember this when ammo comes a little more available. I will probably be buying him some bulk boxes and some "high end" rounds too

CreekFisher
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

"Stupid people shouldn't breed or own guns; unfortuantely they do both..." - ​MOONDAWG

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    11230 times
    From seeing how little ammo is being put out (or coming in) to the USA's #1 retailer, I'm beginning to think differently about the future of ammo availability. Sure, the re-election of the Kenyan POS Potus and the murder of 5-6 year old kids in Connecticut did create a panic buying frenzy for ammo and guns to fly off the shelf. Still, there is more to the story I fear. government agencies have been placing high orders for their own ammo stash and that is part of it. I still haven't seen anything explaining why Federal and Winchester have not shipped any bulk boxes of .22 LR since the 1st of December (other than what they have cleaned out of their warehouses, mostly target match grade.)

I had hopes up last week when I did see a local Walmart get in a decent shipment of ammo, but that was one decent shipment of many that were less than full case loads, and otherwise, ammo is coming into Walmart at a trickle of what it was. I'm fairly convinced that Federal and Winchester have shut down their .22 LR manufacturing lines.

I could understand this if the USA had just invaded North Korea and all the assembly line space had gone to 5.56, .308 and 9mm production, but that is not the case.

When I see Gander Mountain (in my opinion, the highest priced retail chain) with bare shelves, I just can't imagine this all being a demand issue.

Perhaps I miss-judge the manufacturing capacity of the ammo manufacturing community, but I also consider myself as an ammo scrounger extra-ordinaire, as well as a conspiracy theorist, and things just don't completely add up.

When I didn't find any of the illusive calibers I was seeking yesterday, I did purchase 4 pounds of a kitty litter made of moisture absorbing silica to place with my ammo stash should I decide to dig a hole and bury it somewhere. Kitty Litter in crystals is much less expensive than buying regular desiccants.

Interesting thought, how much would folks pay for a map of where I dig the hole?

Will this ammo shortage pass like the previous ones, I don't really think so.

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    13486 times
    I've kept an online check of ammo at the local Walmart stores. They usually say, "out of stock".

The last few days, and I haven't looked today, you can't even find a listing for specific calibers. Zip, nada. I find this strange.
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I hope 're wrong buddy, I had a good week of .223 and .40 cal finds. No .22 for my son though. I dont understand that shortage. I feel somewhat lucky I decided to buy my 740, it was by pure chance that one happened to be in the case at Academy. I had my mind set on a 9mm after weeks of renting several different models. Now 9mm ammo is nowhere to be found. Ive been buying this inexpensive Tulammo, steel case .223 but the indoor range wont let me shoot it.
    "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll" BonScott AC/DC

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Ben Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    875 times
    Still sucking wind in my neck of the woods with factory ammo but reloading supplies are plentiful. The clerk at Wally World told me that they “should” be getting in a “batch” on Sunday’s 4:00 PM truck but not to expect any .22lr ammo. No kidding!

I'm reloading like a crazy man, so for now, 22lr is my only concern.
    THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN LIFE:
    -THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    9238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaxakita View Post
    I went to my LGS today looking for 9mm and 22LR. They had both but they had a lot of 38 Spec and 357. I was only allowed 3 boxes of 9's and 1 Brick of 22LR per week per family. Not sure how they keep track of that but OK....
    Give this place a try. I have bought from them in the past and got good service and the shipping was decently priced.

Georgia Arms - .38 SPECIAL
    I strongly support gun control, how else are you going to hit anything?

USMC Military Police SRT 1976-1982
    LEO (Retired) 1982-2010
    NRA Life Member

In memory of Carlos "Whitefeather" Hathcock, miss you my friend.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    626 times
    It's always a good day when you score some ammo.
    "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." - John Custer to his son Jesse.

Member #
    Liked
    3712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarJake View Post
    From seeing how little ammo is being put out (or coming in) to the USA's #1 retailer, I'm beginning to think differently about the future of ammo availability. Sure, the re-election of the Kenyan POS Potus and the murder of 5-6 year old kids in Connecticut did create a panic buying frenzy for ammo and guns to fly off the shelf. Still, there is more to the story I fear. government agencies have been placing high orders for their own ammo stash and that is part of it. I still haven't seen anything explaining why Federal and Winchester have not shipped any bulk boxes of .22 LR since the 1st of December (other than what they have cleaned out of their warehouses, mostly target match grade.)

I had hopes up last week when I did see a local Walmart get in a decent shipment of ammo, but that was one decent shipment of many that were less than full case loads, and otherwise, ammo is coming into Walmart at a trickle of what it was. I'm fairly convinced that Federal and Winchester have shut down their .22 LR manufacturing lines.

I could understand this if the USA had just invaded North Korea and all the assembly line space had gone to 5.56, .308 and 9mm production, but that is not the case.

When I see Gander Mountain (in my opinion, the highest priced retail chain) with bare shelves, I just can't imagine this all being a demand issue.

Perhaps I miss-judge the manufacturing capacity of the ammo manufacturing community, but I also consider myself as an ammo scrounger extra-ordinaire, as well as a conspiracy theorist, and things just don't completely add up.

When I didn't find any of the illusive calibers I was seeking yesterday, I did purchase 4 pounds of a kitty litter made of moisture absorbing silica to place with my ammo stash should I decide to dig a hole and bury it somewhere. Kitty Litter in crystals is much less expensive than buying regular desiccants.

Interesting thought, how much would folks pay for a map of where I dig the hole?

Will this ammo shortage pass like the previous ones, I don't really think so.

LoneStar Jake
    I won't need a map, I'll just keep watching goggle earth and see where you dig the hole. OOOppps gave myself away didn't I
    Thank you, to all who serve; past, present and future. It is people, like you, who are willing to serve that have made this a great nation. I pray for your safety, your family, and the leaders that make decisions that affect you. I will always pray for and respect the office of the President of the United States, I don't have to like the person elected. Until HE comes, or calls me home, here by the power of Christ I'll stand.
    "Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8".
    1SG (retired)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links