Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Home made brass catcher

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Home made brass catcher

Here's my first attempt at making a brass catcher.

I cut the fingers and thumb out of an old leather glove. New glove would have been $9 at Home Depot.

I took an old fish strainer from my aquarium and bent the handle around into a square to one side of the middle. New strainer would have been $1.50 at the PetsMart.

I then wrapped velcro around the handle and stuck the other half of the velcro to the back of my glove. Velcro cost is about 50 cents.

I can position the net onto the glove at whatever angle is best for the gun I'm shooting. With my Taurus G2C I have to position it just behind the ejector port.

The result was promising, but not satisfying. The net did not obstruct my view of the sights. However, the shells would hit the net and bounce back out. I need to lengthen the net and put a brace to hold the net open when the enlarged net droops down behind my hand.

Here's pictures of my initial attempt. I'll post more pictures after I've completed the modifications and given it a trial at the range.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Big_Blue; 01-20-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    13704 times
    Nice work. I've seen similar sold commercially. I don't think I would like wearing one myself. A friend of mine has one though, and I've never heard him complain. I'd much prefer one larger that could stand alone and catch the brass. I have one of those gadgets for picking up pecans, that works great for .45 cases, on smooth hard surfaces.
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    That looks very interesting. Regarding needing a longer net, perhaps a leg of a pair of ladies' hose?
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845

Member #
    Liked
    3909 times
    And an old bracelet sewn in to hold it open as the weight in the hose increases. just my .02

PUT THIS COUNTRY BACK ON TRACK, vote a Christian ticket!

Until HE comes, or calls me home, here by the power of Christ, I'll stand.
    "Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8".

Member #
    Liked
    14692 times
    I like reading these homemade threads, one day someone is going to come up with the perfect thing.

I like the guy who lays out the blue tarp then stands on it and shoots. Picks up the corners and collects most of his brass in seconds.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    Love it when people think outside of the box.

Formally known as jasonrkba.

Member #
    Liked
    1248 times
    I still have this picture in my head that looks like a camp shower with the curtain made from mess. You stand or sit in the shower and the brass just bounces off the mess at your feet. I haven't done this yet as I know I will look like the crazy guy at the range but I bet it would work.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    408 times
    That brass catcher glove looks like a pretty cool idea! Thanks for sharing. I would imagine once a couple of the bugs are worked out of the design, it will work like a champ. It would also work great to solve a problem that I have at the range. I like to move around while shooting handguns, but it definitely makes collecting brass a bigger challenge -- scattered here, there, and everywhere. It'd be pretty hard to move out of range of the brass catcher when you have it attached to your shooting hand. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinkeylargo View Post
    I like reading these homemade threads, one day someone is going to come up with the perfect thing.

I like the guy who lays out the blue tarp then stands on it and shoots. Picks up the corners and collects most of his brass in seconds.
    Lately, I've been using an old bed sheet in basically the same way. I lay it out on the ground, and then I weigh down the corners with extra equipment. This keeps the sheet from dumping all of the brass on the ground the first time the wind catches it... learned that lesson the hard way. I don't mind picking up brass from rocks and concrete, but finding them in grass is pretty time-consuming... and I'm too cheap to just walk away knowing that I'm leaving perfectly good brass at the range.

I love the innovations people post here. I've picked up some pretty cool ideas, and they always get me thinking about what I could do to solve other problems I encounter. Keep them coming.
    Q: Why do you carry a gun?
    A: Its much lighter than carrying a police officer

Author unknown

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better make darned sure that's really where he is."
    Author unknown

"Diapers and politicians both need to be changed often; and for the same reason."
    ​Author unknown

Member #
    Liked
    14692 times
    I take the easy way out, where I shoot the main line is concrete and everything forward of it is hard packed coral sand. I use the Brass Wizard (wish I would have come up with that one) it picks everything up from .32ACP to .50AE including rifle brass with out any bending over. My back is pretty messed up from a child hood accident so bending over to pick up brass is not good. I will pick up all my brass and any other range brass I happen to be near as long as they are not saving it. Just doing my part to help keep the range clean. I need to check that bucket of .40 S&W, may be time to sell another couple 1000 rounds.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I think the tarp/bedsheet is a great cheap idea. I do not reload my pistol ammo, but the place I purchase from has a brass buy-back program.
    To my knowledge, the Bexar Community Range does not salvage brass. I have been to a range where they had grating and the reclamation
    of brass was part of their income. It always irked me to go there. My brass from my ammo. I paid for it!!

JB
    PT845 running Southpaw style

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links