Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Home Built Dueling Tree 1 of 2

Member #
    Liked
    3856 times

Home Built Dueling Tree 1 of 2

Here's a quick photo essay of the steps I used to build a shooting (dueling) tree.

First step was to order a DIY kit of pre-formed targets cut from A500 ballistic steel. They were $150 for a set of 8 targets
    and 8 pre-cut tubes for them to pivot in. They were off ebay by the way. This is what they looked like.

I then mocked up 4 of them in a piece of angle iron.

One issue. The cut is at a slight angle (artifact of plasma cutting). That is usually no problem, but in the inside corner it
    sets up a raised edge that makes the rotation sticky. Not good.

You can see the raised edge on the corner.

A few seconds with a 1/4" diameter carbide cutter in a die grinder and the issue is solved (times

While there with the die grinder in hand, i also smoothed out the edges so that it will rotate smoother.

To get them at a pleasant spacing, the targets are pinned in place by the next tube. Oh well. Then tack weld them down
    with the mig. Yes, the top flag can be pulled out.

I recently bought an old buzz box welder, so I used that to weld the tubes in tight. I sort of suck at welding, but with
    enough peanut butter, it will stick together!

Here's all 4 tubes stick welded into place. I also added a second angle iron to toughen it up for the expected impacts of
    poor shots.

Yes, I actually made a pair of 4 target trees. Here they are drying in the sun after splashing on some paint.

Here's where I own up to a goof up. I wanted to make it so that I could pull the vertical tree out and re-mount it horizontally.
    It was a splended plan... but... remember when I said I suck at welding? Well the mounting portion (which I shimmed so
    it would have clearance) still tightened up when the welding cooled. Rats! Too tight. I had to finesse the tree into the
    mount. (That's manufacturing speak for I whacked the bugger with a 8 pound sledge until it went in). i also added an
    additional 2"x1/4" angle iron onto the tree for more protection after reading up on where they fail.

I also read that the targets can get hung up dead behind the center pivot, so I made sure
    it was slightly canted forward. Not a ton, and I hope it's enough without it being so much
    that only 460S&W magnums can swing it!

I's still cogitating on how to mount the second one. I would sort of like to have it horizontal
    and would still like to have it so that it could be swapped from horizontal to vertical. But, that
    may not happen.

Next step is some paint and a session with loud noises!

Hope this wassomething of interest.

j

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    Very cool. I like it!
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22068 times
    Excellent post! That's a nice looking tree and it should provide a lot of satisfaction in shooting practice! Now we just need some video of it in operation! Thanks for sharing your work!
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    441 times
    Would love to see a video of that. It makes me want to break out the plasma cutter and have a go myself. Superb

Member #
    Liked
    3856 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Would love to see a video of that. It makes me want to break out the plasma cutter and have a go myself. Superb
    If you do, use A500 or harder (through hard only) steel. Mild steel will deform and pretty soon turn into a cup. Once that happens more and more of the bullet will fly back at the shooter.

Member #
    Liked
    829 times
    Well done!!! Thats really cool...
    Ruger GP100 5", 10-22, 738TCP, Sears bolt .22, Mossberg 500 20ga, gsg1911 .22, CZ75b, R92 .357 mag

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Very nice job! The pictures conveyed the process clearly. Can't wait to see it in use!

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
    If you do, use A500 or harder (through hard only) steel. Mild steel will deform and pretty soon turn into a cup. Once that happens more and more of the bullet will fly back at the shooter.
    What does a bullet do when it impacts the hard steel? I had read previously that anything harder than mild steel would routinely cause dangerous ricochets. Not so? Can one fire FMJ rounds at this target?
    "Pray harder and shoot straight!" --Dustin Ellermann, 'Top Shot' Season 3 Winner

Member #
    Liked
    3856 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWPastor View Post
    What does a bullet do when it impacts the hard steel? I had read previously that anything harder than mild steel would routinely cause dangerous ricochets. Not so? Can one fire FMJ rounds at this target?
    Good question. This link should give some answers.

http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content...urce-guide.pdf
    chicharrones likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10258 times
    Well done, looks good. Let me know how it works for you, may just have to get the seller's eBay info from you if it works well. There's so many of 'em up on eBay it's hard to tell who's selling crap and who's got the decent stuff.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links