Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5329 times

What is a 5.7X23?

When I returned home from the indoor shooting range a little bit ago, I found a stray shell that had landed in my portable storage box. The stamp on the end of the casing says "5.7 X 23." It's a necked cartridge of (obviously) .23 caliber. Anyone know anything about this round? It's new to me, never heard of it before today.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    1015 times
    It's pretty much a .22 mag on steroids. It was originally chambered in the FN P90, and now the FN 57. There is also an AR upper that uses the P90 mags.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    This is the land of opportunity not entitlement

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Must be a misstamp of the 5.7x28, which as Bamabowtie said, is used in the P90, FN 5-7, and a few dedicated AR uppers.
    Enfield Number 5 Jungle Carbine "Rule 303"
    H&R Pardner Pump 12GA "Senor 12-Gauge"
    Thompson M1911A1 .45ACP
    RIP Uncle John, 1953-2014....you fought hard.

Member #
    Liked
    3945 times
    Ever watch Sci-fi channel? It's the gun used by the troops that travel by stargate.

Member #
    Liked
    5329 times
    My bad...I just looked at the cartridge case again, and it DOES have 5.7 X 28 stamped on it. I had to get really close to read it clearly. Darn near-sightedness.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4684 times
    Its a vary small rifle bullet thats designed to defeat body armor the military version of the round will go through both sides of Body armor even the trauma plate. Its also used in the 5.7 pistol. The rifle is a Bull pup design.

FN P90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by 45 Forever; 09-01-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    11230 times
    That is what that butthole at Fort Hood used to kill and wound a lot of unarmed soldiers, while yelling Alla Akbar. He keeps getting his Court Martial delayed cause he refuses to shave. He should get the death penalty with no appeals period.

Another pistol manufacture has recently included the caliber in it's stable. My feeble memory wants to say that is was possibly a new caliber in a Springfield XD. About $400 less than a FN.

If they get into the $600 range, I would probably want one. Ammo is expensive, and you can't buy the really hot version of the ammo in the USA, we get a watered down version that is still pretty fast. Ammo is expensive, I wonder if the 5.7 x 28 would be a difficult round to re-load. I don't remember the magazine capacity, other than maybe 20+ rounds. It's a pretty bada$$ round.
    Last edited by LonestarJake; 09-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    For those who like moving pictures.

Tommotto

Member #
    Liked
    21226 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever View Post
    Its a vary small rifle bullet thats designed to defeat body armor the military version of the round will go through both sides of Body armor even the trauma plate. Its also used in the 5.7 pistol. The rifle is a Bull pup design.

FN P90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think that's one of those places where Wikipedia's leftist leanings have overtaken facts. The penetration data was achieved using plastic-cored bullets. That will allow many rounds to defeat a Level II vest.
    That bullet is not available to civilians.

OK, I'm being too harsh. There is no incorrect information int the Wikipedia article - it is a sin of omission, not commission. Time to break out the red editing pencil.

Edit: OK, I'm going to tone it down even farther. The actual article on the round is both correct and complete (as far as I can tell): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28
    Last edited by MadKaw; 09-02-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Keeper of The Pledge

Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.
    ∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0
    I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

“It has been said that the great scientific disciplines are examples of giants standing on the shoulders of other giants. It has also been said that the software industry is an example of midgets standing on the toes of other midgets.” (Alan Cooper)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3773 times
    FNH, when they announced the pistol, stated that the military grade ammunition would be able to defeat body armor. The rifle was introduced as a PDW, to supplant the pistol issued to certain troops. Of course, defeating body armor is anathema to the various kinder, gentler, gun thieves in politics, so FN loaded a USA approved variation for America. Everybody knows that terrorists would never smuggle military grade ammunition into America along with SARIN, or suitcase nukes, as they are similarly forbidden.

The little case has a reputation as a hard to reload caliber. Perhaps, now that it's been around for a while, that has changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links