Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Walmart, THE GUN STORE!

Member #
    Liked
    972 times

Walmart, THE GUN STORE!

Many of you know that Walmart sells a few rifles behind their counter along with ammo. Many of you don't know that Walmart hired a number of Target execs for their front office and the Target execs wanted Walmart to get out of the ammo and rifle business. Well, Walmart saw the light and shook the tree, got rid of the Target influence and got back to their roots. Behind the sporting goods counter is an inch thick catalog of RIFLES. No prices but bar codes. You ask the clerk for a price and they scan the bar code next to the listing and a price appears. Walmart can quickly order in any of the rifles.

Walmart offers much of the catalog listing online once again as well:

Walmart.com: Sports & Fitness: Hunting: Guns, Rifles & Ammunition

You definitely want to get the price of your next rifle from Walmart as they are more than competitive with any other sporting goods store. The reason they don't have pricing as it varies by store. The Walmart that we ship in is in the section of Texas with Hondo, Uvalde and Del Rio and not San Antonio. This store zone actually has lower pricing than the San Antonio zone stores. Check 'em out! I have no relationship with Walmart except they take most of my money in groceries and ammo.
    aquajim, scrabtree6 and stickem2 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    938 times
    I checked the prices on a rifle I bought a couple of months ago at WalMart first. They quoted me straight MSRP. They do have fair prices on such thing as low end Remington, Winchester, Ruger and Mossbergs that they buy in bulk but try ordering a Model 70 Classic Featherweight. My LGS can beat their prices by a mile.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    3162 times
    Using a "big box" store has a lot of disadvantages - If you have specific technical questions, I'm guessing the Wally World sales person will be hard pressed to answer. If you have a problem with the gun, said sales person may send it back, but your local shop will most likely look at if first and then take care of shipping and returning. While the prices at Wally World for ammo are as low as you'll find, I think if you are going to purchase more than a simple single shot gun, you're better off going to your LGS. I can almost guarantee if you buy a gun from Wally World and then take it to your LGS for service or help, they'll tell you to take it back where you bought it - as well they should.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    14565 times
    Bought a Remington 742 semiauto in .308 from them $350 CHEAPER than anyone else.

As the OP said you have to ask them about it.

The only caveate at my store they wanted a 50% deposit to order the gun.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

MISS MODERATOR

Member #
    Liked
    5358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum View Post
    Using a "big box" store has a lot of disadvantages - If you have specific technical questions, I'm guessing the Wally World sales person will be hard pressed to answer. If you have a problem with the gun, said sales person may send it back, but your local shop will most likely look at if first and then take care of shipping and returning. While the prices at Wally World for ammo are as low as you'll find, I think if you are going to purchase more than a simple single shot gun, you're better off going to your LGS. I can almost guarantee if you buy a gun from Wally World and then take it to your LGS for service or help, they'll tell you to take it back where you bought it - as well they should.
    Being in IL. we don't get the Wal-mart gun experience anymore. Used to be able to *grumble grumble*. Anyway, I wanted to respond with a couple questions to your reply. I know if our Wal-mart sold gun's again, I would constantly be at Wal-mart for one, but I'd also be very tempted to buy also. Now that I think of it, it's probably good that they don't! Anyway, if you did buy a shotgun and something was wrong with it, wouldn't you send it in to the company for repair? Can't imagine you'd just take it back to Wal-mart, just as I wouldn't take it back to the LGS I bought it from either. I mean you could I suppose, but like Taurus, I'd prefer to send it back to them. Oops, I guess I really only had one question.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    "Walmart selling rifles and shotguns"?..............and in some locations they are rumored to start selling handguns again soon!
    All I can find out at my local Walmart is that they have been informed that they may sell handguns soon in 2012.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I asked at our local Walmart about hand gun sale and the salesperson said that he too had heard the rumor but that was all. I buy a lot of range ammo at Walmart, that is when it is in stock.

Member #
    Liked
    3162 times
    If the gun went south, first place I'd take it is to my LGS. Reason being, he has more expertise than I do and it may be something which can be fixed locally. My LGS will also act as the intermediary between the manufacturer and the customer in many cases - as long as you bought the gun from him. I had a slight problem with a safety on a gun I bought at my LGS a year or so ago. I took it back and he was able to fix it on the spot - he had the tools and knowledge. I didn't have to spend two weeks to a month without the gun. Had the problem been serious, he would have sent the gun back and taken receipt of the gun when it was shipped back to me. I don't think I'd get the same treatment at Walmart.

I'm an avid scuba diver. I buy my life support equipment at a local dive shop instead of mail order such as Leisure Pro. Odds and ends I'll buy off the internet. My local shop will put new gear together, check it out and make sure it works right. And it's harder than hell to get a tank filled via catalog or e-mail.

In both cases, I've established a personal relationship with the owners and employees at the stores. And their prices are not that much higher either.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    I have a bad taste in my mouth from buying a Savage 17 HMR from my local walmart about three or four years ago.I was assured that the rifle I was buying had the accutrigger(one of the main reasons why I wanted it)The rifle they brought to me had a trigger lock on it and I could not see the trigger.After the manager accompanied me outside to give it to me I took it to my vehicle opened the box took off the trigger lock and there was no accutrigger.I went back inside to talk to the manager and return or exchange it and I was told too bad after the rifle leaves the store they can not return/exchange it because I could have used it already.I was so angry I took it to my local pawn shop where I told them what happened and the young guys response to the owner there was "Hey boss weve got another Walmart experience out here" His response was "Oh No".He wouldnt give me what I wanted for it so I ended up keeping it. I saw a 22mag with an accutrigger there and bought it.I ended up trading the 17 HMR off to my cousin for his used Savage 17HMR,same model but with the accutrigger because he didnt really care for it much.I tried Walmart once again last year because they had a great price on a 10/22 but the guy that had me doing my paperwork was a complete fool and It took over an hour and a half to get from start to finish and out the door with the 10/22.He screwed the paperwork up four different times and I had to redo it.Never again will I buy a firearm at Walmart even if they have best price on something Ive ever seen
    If guns kill people mine are all defective

Of all the races in America, only whites have been tricked into thinking that a preference for one’s own kind is racism.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    hmm, i havent stepped into a wal mary in forever. Guess ill make a trip today to see whats the latest info around here. Also pick up some accessories needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links