Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bore Sight

Member #
    Liked
    1038 times

Bore Sight

I'd like to get a bore sight for my AR 15 and don't want to spend a ton on a tool rarely used. Wondering what's the latest and least expensive out there. I just don't want to waste a lot of ammo getting sighted in. I've got an Eotech 516 Holo with no magnifier so I'm not looking at great distances here.

There's a lot of stuff online and plenty of reviews but frankly I trust you guys a whole lot more.

Any experience?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times

This one will get you on paper, after that you may need to make some small adjustments at the range. The on/off switch is not the best and tends to act up, but other than that I doubt you'll find a better bore sight for the money.

Member #
    Liked
    2888 times
    I bought a Centerpoint set from Walmart for $40 that will do from .17 - .50 cal.. works great for my needs and even has my Mossberg dead on from 100 yards. It looks pretty similar to the one above except that the barrel inserts on mine are rubber and adjust inside of the bore when you twist the sighter in to the right.

Centerpoint Laser Bore Sight
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I've got one just like jr612. Think I paid $30 or so for it at Walmart and it's worked just fine to get several rifles on paper.
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I ordered one from Amazon.com....I think it's a Brownell's or Bushnell....starts with a B....can't remember the name for the life of me...it's around here somewhere. Anyways, it cost me $30 with free shipping, and it was well worth it. Does .17-.50, as well as 20 and 12 gauge shotguns, and the on/off switch is the entire front half. To turn it on, screw down, turn it off, screw up. Simple as that. I used it to zero in the new scope on my Mini-14, and doublecheck the zero on my dad's .22 Hornet Ruger 77/22. If I were you, just go onto amazon.com, type in laser boresighter, and find one that's the cheapest price with the highest ratings. That's what I did, and I couldn't be happier about it.
    Enfield Sporter .303 British
    Terni M38 Carcano, 6.5x52mm
    Fabrique D'armes Libia .25 ACP(Broken Cricket)
    H&R Pardner Pump 12GA
    Thompson M1911A1 .45ACP
    In case of zombies, knock loudly, I'm sleeping in back.

Member #
    Liked
    17511 times
    I have an optical boresighter and a laser boresighter with a mandrel set, but the one I use is the Sightmark magnetic boresight.

In fact... I think I'll sell the other 2...
    Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.

I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

C++ should really be named ++C.

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Not trying to be a smart arse. But. Back in the day before all the bore sighting technology. Bore sighting meant looking down the bore of the rifle at a object. Then. Look thru the scope and see how close the cross hairs lined up where you saw the object thru the bore. Then adjust the scope as necessary. That was bore sighting. Once you got that close. Then you shoot it on paper to dial it in to true zero. No $ spent. Ol school. Just saying.
    Last edited by El Toro; 12-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    ozzy likes this.
    "Honor the Texas flag of 1836; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisable."
    "Hey, jackass, get your government off my freedom."

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Not trying to be a smart arse. But. Back in the day before all the bore sighting technology. Bore sighting meant looking down the bore of the rifle at a object. Then. Look thru the scope and see how close the cross hairs lined up where you saw the object thru the bore. Then adjust the scope as necessary. That was bore sighting. Once you got that close. Then you shoot it on paper to dial it in to true zero. No $ spent. Ol school. Just saying.
    That works fine on something like a .30 cal and up but not some much on something like a 17hmr.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    I have the same thing as jr612,not alot of money and it works
    U.S ARMY/NATIONAL GUARD VET RETIRED In a man to man fight the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. ERWIN ROMMEL May god have mercy upon my enemies because I wont. GEORGE PATTON

Member #
    Liked
    1119 times
    I just bought the sightmark triple duty boresighter. Just goofing around, I put it in a drill and spun it. The laser dot did not move, stayed concentric. I haven't used it yet, but after the drill experiment I am confident it centers and is concentric. The unit is very well made. It was $50 bucks at amazon.
    CHL Holder
    NRA Member

"'I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me." - George Washington McClintock (1963) John Wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links