Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you use to keep moisture away from guns

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

What do you use to keep moisture away from guns

I've heard crackers, rice, silicone packets. What do you folks use that works?

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Re: What do you use to keep moisture away from guns

Moisture? I live in Texas, we don't have moisture! Wish I could help! If you have extra please send it our way, it's so bad if I knew it would bring a rain I would lay a gun or two out in the yard!!
    John

Member #
    Liked
    2898 times

I just make sure to keep my guns cleaned and lubed. Living in Pittsburgh we have an average of like 70% humidity during warmer months. Just find a good CLP that you like to use and don't be afraid to be slightly liberal with it if you're storing the gun for a while.

I've heard a few guys say they soak cotton balls in CLP and stuff them in the barrels of their rifles and shotguns to prevent moisture buildup. Never tried that myself, but to each his own I suppose.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    601 times

I do not worry too much about it with my pistols as they are all shot/cleaned on a regular basis. I do have quite a few long guns that are stored in a safe and on display racks. As far as the barrels, they all are shot with cast bullets lubed with Liquid Alox and the lube is a corrosion proof wax used in overseas shipments of metal parts. Never had an issue with corrosion in barrels for a decade and a half. That leaves surface rust to worry about. I use the Golden Rod dehumidifiers in the safe and even on the display racks. I don't have any problems despite living in a high humidity part of Texas.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times

+1 for the Golden Rod. Have one in my safe and have no issues at all with it.
    Sherlock
    NRA Member
    Traveling Man - Hoover #770 F&AM
    Freedom exists so long as freemen stand united and devoted to protecting it.

Member #
    Liked
    601 times

The Golden Rod is not only for use inside a safe. Here is a good example of how to use one with a "Sheriff's" style rack. Note the horizontal "Golden" rod across the back base of the stand. The rifles in this rack where having surface corrosion problems before the installation of the rod. Zip after. The heated rod drops humidity and increases circulation of the the dryer air.

Member #
    Liked
    1338 times

I first use a good coating of oil, lately it has been Burchwood/Casey Barricade but most oils will do a pretty good job. In my safe I use 2 of the Remington #365 desiccant dehumidifiers. Picked them up a couple of years ago at Gander Mountain on sale for $19.99 each.

My safe is a 42 gun, they keep it 8-10% lower humidity than the rest of the house and I recharge them once a month. If my safe had a spot for a cord I would try a golden rod though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=599066

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16844 times

Quote Originally Posted by double tee
    Moisture? I live in Texas, we don't have moisture! Wish I could help! If you have extra please send it our way, it's so bad if I knew it would bring a rain I would lay a gun or two out in the yard!!
    I'll send my wife over, she has some american indian in her and I kid you not when she dances it seems to rain here! we actually tease her about it

Rice and silicone packets will work in a closed environment like a safe or case. Like others have said, you can over oil them a bit if you are going to store them. I oil inside the barrels of rifles I don't plan on shooting for months at a time. Just make sure you clean it out really well with solvent before you shoot it. The oil will over pressure the barrel if you shoot without cleaning it and that can be bad! I don't do this to any of my hand guns, or anything I would use for self defense, I don't think the bad guys would sit around while I cleaned the oil out first!

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    8837 times

Quote Originally Posted by double tee
    Have you ever been to Houston? Plenty of moisture there....I've even seen threads here about rusted out 1911's in people's safes.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    12262 times

I always keep the silica gel packs that come with electronic equipment and the like. They can be reused, and when they become saturated 30 seconds or so in a microwave will restore them as a desiccant. Silica gel generally gets pink when it's saturated, and on some gel packs you can see the color through the gauze. A good coat of oil and regular cleanings is your best defense. I use a shaving brush to apply oil - puts on a nice light coat. I used to use Birchwood Casey's Sheath product, and it works really well for protecting the outside of a firearm, but don't get it on the internals. It congeals with time which is good for the outside as it forms a protective coating, however it will gum up mechanisms but good.

I think placement probably makes a difference too if you're going to put a desiccant bag in a safe. There's no air flow inside a safe, and I'm guessing the best place to put them would be low in the safe. Water being heavier than air, I'm guessing the bottom of the safe is going to be more humid than the top. Just a guess though.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links