Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is it legal to shoot a gun on my property ?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re: Is it legal to shoot a gun on my property ?

The backstop area we were looking at using was at the base of a hill with no houses behind it or to sides of it for as far as we can tell (using google satellite maps) So its about as safe of an area as you can get to shoot. There is houses in the area down the road a ways that may be able to hear the gun fire so that's what really worried us about shooting outside in the first place. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the county authority says before we do anything.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

~ Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

My opinion. Go out and shoot, it seems that you have taken as many precautions as possible. If some one were to complain, (very unlikely) and the police did show up (less likely) I'm sure they would just ask you to stop (worst case) assuming guns/ people using guns were all legal. I have a range in my back yard and the only thing that has ever happened was a neighbor (1/4 mile away) has called to see if I was shooting one day when I had like 8 friends over (it did sound like a small war going on). That was it.
    bamashooter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times

Do you have a non emergency number for the county sheriff's office? You should be able to call them 24/7 and ask the question.

Give them the address and tell them what you want to do, it should be that simple. At least where I live in NC I am able to call any time and someone answers the non emergency number.

I do recommend calling the closest neighbors (If any close enough to hear) to let them know if they hear gunshots that it is your target shooting and nothing is aimed in their direction. Even if they don't like it they would at least know who it is and why they hear the shots. I limit shooting in my own yard though it is legal for me long as it's safe. I still let 2 closer neighbors know it is me before I do shoot.
    The following youtube link is a sermon given by Billy Graham in 1981regarding choices.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ2ixOFkxX8

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

1. Build a berm if you don't have a suitable backstop.
    2. Drop somebody off near your closest neighbor, shoot, then figure out if your neighbors can hear it. If they can, make an effort not to irritate them too much. (irritating neighbors is by no means a deal killer though).
    3. Check the laws, if you're outside the city limits, you're ok in many areas.
    4. Don't call and ask anybody. They won't know and they'll pass you around until they find somebody to tell you 'no'. That's what bureaucrats do for a living. If you must ask somebody, ask the local cop, he's the only one that can stop you anyway. Besides; It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.
    5. Blaze away!

That's my .02 anyway!
    ...your basic point and click interface...

Member #
    Liked
    21633 times

Like Stu said (mostly).
    Rent or borrow a backhoe and build a good backstop. NRA has a book on range design: http://materials.nrahq.org/go/produc...tid=AR%2014840 . I would post the info, except my copy is out of date.
    And (first) check with the sheriff. He will know, and it's always a good idea to have your first contact with LEO a friendly one.
    One more point to check... even if it is legal for the property owner to shoot, is it legal for his guests?
    Keeper of The Pledge

Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.
    ∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0
    I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

It has been said that the great scientific disciplines are examples of giants standing on the shoulders of other giants. It has also been said that the software industry is an example of midgets standing on the toes of other midgets. (Alan Cooper)

Liberalism without Lies is Bralim.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1393 times

I think you should just go ahead and shoot. Fine with me However i don't live in your state nor am i a lawyer, but i did stay at the Holiday Inn Express!!!

Member #
    Liked
    541 times

If it's not in a town make some good safe berms and start shooting safely.

That's what we do in the USA.

As seen in an earlier post, you do own any bullets that get away from you. That's how we live in the USA.
    The .44 Special: If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Moma's, don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.

Member #
    Liked
    1956 times

It sounds like you can shoot on this property. It would be wise to ask the nearest LEO and good manners to let your neighbors know when the fun is going to start.

I suspect that the host is responsible for the behavior of every bullet shot on his land, so he had better know the shooters.

Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    408 times

Since were on the subject, I saw this in today's local paper:

http://www2.hernandotoday.com/conten...ext-door/news/

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

First thing is to get familiar with your state laws. Two things you need to check. What the state law says and if your state pre-empts local gun ordnances.

In Florida, it's legal in unincorporated areas, 300 ft from a residence, not across any public road, and of course not near a school, etc.

Secondly, Florida has also preemptied any other government within the state from making gun laws. Just recently had another bill to put some teeth in it.

Asking a LEO may or may not yield correct answers. Some of them don't know, but won't admit it, some are anti-gun for civilians, while others (like my sheriff fried) happy to have responsible private gun ownershiop.
    If you think Left is Right and Right is Wrong, you are politically dyslectic!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links