Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1198 times

Inspecting new gun at FFL

My 9mm OSS is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. My question is what should I look for since the gun will be packed in goop? Buds says to not accept the transfer if I'm not happy with the gun, so I'm curious what if anything would be an obvious no no.

Thanks.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10458 times

Re: Inspecting new gun at FFL

Work the safety and the decocker, check the feed ramp, pop in and out both magazines, rack the slide a few times to be sure there isn't anything obvious that is wrong.

I would pay specific attention to the decocker - if you rack the slide once (unloaded of course) and pull the trigger, you should feel the smooth, lighter SA trigger pull. After you decock it, you should have a stiffer trigger pull.

After seeing a recent thread here, I wouldn't trust the decocker until you've used it at the range a number of times and it works correctly. I'd keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction, like downrange, when using the decocker.

If you're of a mind to, just break it down right there at the counter. You could give the whole thing an inspection before plunking down your hard earned money !
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times

Well I figured I could field strip it, but was curious if I could really see anything wrong covered in that much grease. Thanks for the tips.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10458 times

Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree
    Well I figured I could field strip it, but was curious if I could really see anything wrong covered in that much grease. Thanks for the tips.
    It will have alot of grease, but I don't think it will have so much that you couldn't inspect the weapon.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Better check first before fieldstripping, I did it once at shootstreight in apopka FL on a glock and got my @ss chewwed out by asst,manager, he said they don't allow that, or racking the slide on new guns, if they don't work after you buy them & get home then return for replacement or refund. Thats the last time I have been in their store.
    Fill your hand you S.O.B. John wayne... true grit

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Yeah, asking is good. Luckily they let me fieldstrip guns at my local GM when I was looking at the PT845 I've not got on layaway.

Member #
    Michigan, the original God's Country!! (Troll, don'cha know)
    Liked
    4 times

My LFGS would rather you did not Field Strip weapons in the store. However, if you are going to buy the gun, the paperwork is in process, they will take you in the back room and allow you to strip the weapon on the bench under the supervision of the gunsmith or store owner. I understand this. I would not like to have everybody in the store trying to strip weapons all the time. Especially not knowing the expertise of most of those people.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4748 times

Mine allows racking the slide and dry firing everything but a .22.

If your going to purchase it they will take you over to the gunsmith table and show you the proper way first even if you say you know how. A lot of mall ninjas running around.

I won't handle a gun I can't inspect even if it has a lock. Thats just me.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    1063 times

When I bought my PT-92, the salesman offered to show me how to field-strip it for inspection. Then, he showed my again.
    I could have saved a few dollars somewhere else, but I doubt that I would have gotten that kind of service. For those in my area, that was at Kastle Keep on Ulmerton Rd.
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94 (2), M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    6472 times

Most all gun shops around here have no problem with cranking the slide and trying the trigger pull and such.
    one of the reasons that its a waste of time for me to go to a gun show where all the slides and cylinders are tied up!
    buy a gun from a stranger at a portable folding table and i can't check it out?
    OH YEA!!!
    how much is that bridge over there too???
    I always ask before fiield stripping and will not buy a used weapon without doing that.
    "A Ruger MK III is the exception to that!"
    My suggestion if you are going to check the weapon (which i would certainly do) is to take a couple of old clean rags with you.
    ahh i more than likely don't need to say anything esle about why!-LOL
    you will love the weapon!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links