Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Silencer On Nagant Revolver

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Qwiks draw 
#1 ·
I know, the proper term is suppressor but this is like a hollywood movie silencer, the hammer falling makes more noise than the gun's report.

#2 ·
Impressive. NOT sure it would work with a modern wheelgun. If I recall correctly, the Nagant cylinder not only lined up the cylinder but moved the cylinder forward to make a seal with the barrel as the hammer was cocked.

With modern revolvers, there's the notorious "gap" between the cylinder and forcing cone which will allow some combustion gases to escape. So there will be some sound.

Shoot in near-dark, and you can see this quite clearly.

#4 ·
Taurus Fan said:
Yeah the Nagant is the only revolver that can be suppressed like this
Actually, Webly also made one that the cylinder would move forward for a tighter seal, so only two revolvers could be well suppressed. The Nagant actually has a lengthened cartridge that extends from the cylinder into the barrel to form a complete seal.

#5 ·
With the ballistics of either gun, it might be simpler to just hit them with the revolver. FYI, a German gunsmith made a suppressed S&W Model 625 revolver for the German GSG-9 several years ago. It was shrouded almost completely, and actually worked quite well. Of course, it cost more than an HK MP5SD

#7 ·
Reasons for a suppressor.
1.) For quiet practice that might otherwise "scare the horses", such as neighbors. That is if one could or can legally shoot outdoors. There are many who buy the house next to a range or out in the sticks and expect no noise to bother their "serenity'. This area just had a gun range shut down due to noise complaints and this is happening all over North America.

2.) Quiet pest removal. Again, for the same reasons above.

3.) Quieter practice. No loud level noise to worry about. Ear plugs or hearing protectors may need not be worn if the decibel level is not high or harmful.

4.) There are actual suppressor only matches for handguns and rifles at some clubs nowdays. These matches are growing in number and growing in the numbers of participants.

5.) Because they can. Since these have to registered with the BATFE anyway no one with any common sense or morals will use them for dastardly deeds. Same goes for fully automatic weapons.

Since the misuse of these are so low overall why stop anyone from owning one?

There are reputable companies that make integral sound suppressors right in the gun barrel itself. The gun and suppressor are all in one.

#8 ·
Just for giggles the anti-gunners say the same thing about our firearms. Why do they need those horrible evil things?!

MilProGuy, I do realize that your not trying to be adversarial.

#9 ·
Thank you, Quiks Draw, for a very educational and informative response.

I might just have to buy one for myself!

Now I understand why you are known as "Da' Professor"! :thumb: :thumb:

#10 ·
No problem and glad to be of service.

If the Internet searches don't bring anything up as to the companies that do this, then periodicals like Shotgun News and Gun Digest normally have such info or dealers in their pages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.