Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times

S&W .40 Cal. "Rifle"

Anyone know of a good rifle/carbine that shoots the 40 cal? I have looked at Hi-point & Baretta but would like a more conventional looking rifle. Maybe lever action???
    Colt 38 Spec
    HiPoint 4095TS
    Marlin 1894C
    S&W CS40
    Single Shot 12 ga
    Single Shot 410 ga
    Remington Nylon mdl 12 22 cal
    IAC Hawk 982 12 Gauge
    Taurus 605 Protector Poly

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: S&W .40 Cal. "Rifle"

Lever guns that shoot straight wall pistol cartridges like 38/357.44 Mag,45 LC and 454 Casull etc. all use rimmed cartridges since the case head spaces on the cartridge rim. The rim is what the case puller/ejector uses to expel the fired case since no gas pressure is used to cycle the action.

Firearms that fire rimless tapered wall pistols cartridges ie. 9mm,45ACP,40 S & W,M1 Carbine etc. all head space on the case mouth and use a blow back design/part of the gas pressure to cycle the action. The extractor/ejector basically just aids in throwing the fired case clear of the action instead of actually pulling the case from the chamber like the lever gun does.

Pistol and rifle cartridges that have a bottle neck design and head space on the shoulder of the cartridge can use a variety of actions,single,lever,bolt,semi auto of full auto function. The cartridge pretty much dictates the action it can be used in. There are exceptions such as my Ruger SA Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and the Old S & W revolver that would fire 45 ACP or 38 Super ammo.

So in general terms your pretty much stuck with getting a 40 cal. in one of the available rifles you mentioned in your post. Don't forget about he Kel-Tec 40 also,I don't have a dog in the fight since I own neither but have shot a couple but not enough to make a judgment about which one is best. The only drawback I see to the Hi-Point is the 10 rd. mag capacity while the other can use 20+ rd. mags.
    http://www.mouseguns.com/sub2000/sub2000.htm

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Olympic Arms makes AR-15 style rifles and upper conversions in pistol calibers. Their .40 S&W is called the K40.

]http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_ id=10
    2-4-5 trioxin, it's not just for zombies anymore....oh, wait, yes it is.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1765 times

a friend let me shoot his 9mm Hi Point carbine, and it wasn't a bad shooter. Actually, I was impressed with the accuracy, given that it cost less than $400 new. I can't comment on how well they are made, but they do cost about a third of what a new AR would cost.

They do make a 40, but I've never shot one.

Not sure the .40 has any accuracy or power advantage over some of the more standard lever action guns in 45LC or 44 mag. Except that it would use .40s if that's what you primarily reload.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

High Point has a carbine in .40 and is coming out with a .45 carbine by end of the year.
    http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carb...es_4095TS.html

I have one in 9mm and it is accurate and should be with a rifle barrel. No problems with my 9mm High Point carbine.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

Ruger PC-40.
    Tarheel Born.
    Tarheel Bred.
    When I Die -
    Ill be Tarheel Dead!

Member #
    Liked
    2264 times

Quote Originally Posted by WGSNewnan
    Ruger PC-40.
    Yup...if you can find one. I love the PC carbines.
    In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Thanks for the replies. I started out wanting a HI-Point but never could find one available. Even my FFL still can't get one. The keltec is nice also but just a bit more expensive and I'm not sure I like the foldup part. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. Thanks again.
    Colt 38 Spec
    HiPoint 4095TS
    Marlin 1894C
    S&W CS40
    Single Shot 12 ga
    Single Shot 410 ga
    Remington Nylon mdl 12 22 cal
    IAC Hawk 982 12 Gauge
    Taurus 605 Protector Poly

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

Quote Originally Posted by NYPD
    Yup...if you can find one. I love the PC carbines.
    my pc9 and p89 make for a lovely pair. almost as lovely as my marlin camp carbine and pt1911.

jgsales.com will have them on occasion. police trade ins. i have been considering one to pair up with my P91. now how many people do you know who actually have a p91?
    Tarheel Born.
    Tarheel Bred.
    When I Die -
    Ill be Tarheel Dead!

Member #
    Liked
    1215 times

Just curious, what kind of range and how accurate is a 40 cal rifle?
    Never criticize a dumb question because you've probably asked your fair share. But more important to remember, it's much easier to correct a dumb question than it is to correct a dumb mistake.

Usually, when a solution is presented by a politician it creates more problems than it solves.

The Colt 1911, when dialing 911 just isn't fast enough

People won't remember what you say and people won't remember what you do. What people will remember is how you made them feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links