Member #
    Liked
    1285 times

The difference between horsehide and cowhide?

Roman matrons used to say to their sons: 'Come back with your shield or on it.' Later on, this custom declined. So did Rome..." (but not before it created an Empire that changed the world - Robert Heinlein

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Re: The difference between horsehide and cowhide?

The Brown colored WW2 Army Air Corps flight jackets (A2) were horsehide and are absolutely the coolest jacket ever. You can buy one new today for about $900.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

aside from having a richer color in its natural form. the main benefit of horsehide is that it naturally repels moisture better than cow hide. this quality also makes it harder to stain with a color like black. but with a stain applied to cow hide it will hold up just fine. are you thinking about a holster?
    I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
    You can keep the "change".

Member #
    Liked
    437 times

From what I understand, horsehide is softer and when used in holsters is supposed to be easier on the guns finish.
    In memory of Connie Ann Johnson, July 9,1962- March 31, 2011
    In memory of Calvin "P`nut" Hicks, August 22, 1950- August 14,2014
    U.S. Army 1969-1971. R.I.P. P`nut

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10479 times

From what I understand, horsehide comes from the hide of a horse. Cowhide, on the other hand, comes from the dead carcus of a cow.

Okay, I couldn't just leave it laying there. And as stated above, horsehide is softer and is supposed to wear better, although I've yet to see that first hand.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    790 times

Horsehide is softer than cowhide. Due to the fact it has smaller pours it is hard to dye so is rarely done. Sweet has less effect on horsehide as well. Both will eventually scuff up your gun over time though horsehide will take a bit longer.

There are also other hides used such as elephant, shark skin, ostrich, gator and lizard. Pretty much anything one can make a shoe or boot out can be used for a holster. All work well though in my case it wasn't worth the extra money asked for horsehide so I got cowhide on all of my holsters as all are IWB. No one sees them and beside my wife loves horses so no horse hide allowed for me.

In all honesty they all ware and last as long if proper care is taken of them. It comes down to the way the feel against you, how important looks are etc. I've had boots made out it all, even man made stuff.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    917 times

Where is a good supply for horsehide? (say, for a person wishing to make their own holsters).
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

"DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

Member #
    Liked
    14827 times

Horsehide shop?
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links