Anyone Understand a New Rule by the NRA for Training?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Anyone Understand a New Rule by the NRA for Training?

Member #
    Liked
    7570 times

Anyone Understand a New Rule by the NRA for Training?

I should clarify that I am not a fan of the NRA.
    I belong because I have to to belong to the local clubs here.
    I like GOA better for a few reasons.......however that is all personal tastes and choice so...............

But I do not understand this new rule not allowing 1911's or revolvers in training classes.
    I carry neither type but it would seem to put a crimp on quite a few people who do and it appears to be rather arbitrary.
    Just a curiosity question........I am not trying to start pro and con arguments for the types of guns involved.

NRA: No 1911s or Revolvers in NRA Carry Guard Training Classes - The Truth About Guns
    silverstring likes this.
    MY BRAIN IS LIKE AN INTERNET BROWSER

12 tabs are open
    5 of them are not responding
    There's a GIF playing in an endless loop
    ..........and just where is that annoying music coming from?

Member #
    Liked
    8390 times
    I was wondering the same thing when I first read about this change. I can't think of any logical reason for the NRA to restrict the use of any firearm that functions safely and can be used legally for the specified purpose.

I could speculate, but my crystal ball is in the shop.

I choose the gun as the instrument of peace. When peace no longer seeks me I become the instrument.

Sand Lake 2014 / 2015

Member #
    Liked
    1411 times
    Probably has something to do with round capacity for the primary arms portion of the class...
    Rickenbacher39 likes this.
    Let slip the dogs of war...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    39146 times
    Wonder if they've ever seen the 17 round double stack 40 S&W Rock Island 1911's....

Quote Originally Posted by bobbojama View Post
    Probably has something to do with round capacity for the primary arms portion of the class...

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    3244 times
    I wanted to sign my wife up for a class and capacity was the reason given for no revolvers. They said, "everyone carries semi auto now, revolvers are just not enough". They offered to rent her a glock for the class and said she could just learn to use one.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6997 times
    How about they (the NRA) allow me to decide what firearm is appropriate for my purposes? Would that work?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." - Alexis de Tocqueville
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon
    Nemo me impune lacessit
    ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    NRA Member
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    1348 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark38090 View Post
    I wanted to sign my wife up for a class and capacity was the reason given for no revolvers. They said, "everyone carries semi auto now, revolvers are just not enough". They offered to rent her a glock for the class and said she could just learn to use one.
    Despite what "everyone" carries, does anybody know how many civilian defensive gun uses there are where high capacity or even the lack of made any significant difference? There are some of course, but they're not the majority of situations. I'm talking about the defenders that are actually trying to hit the BG, not people like that store owner who just held the handgun over his head and firing in the general direction of the BG while he was behind a store shelf. Although the didn't hit the BG, thankfully he didn't hit any innocent people either.

The main purpose of Carry Guard is supposed to be protection after a DGU, right? I'm no expert or operator, but I've studied at least hundreds of DGUs over the course of the last 37 years. (including a few of my own) Of those that went to trial, (none of mine) I'm trying to recall how many and which ones there were where the type of handgun was a major factor in the legal aspects of the case. I recall there have been cases where a malicious prosecutor will mention the type or caliber of handgun in a derogatory way in a desperate attempt to sway the minds of the jury, but I'm talking about cases where it really made a significant difference.
    Last edited by pegasus; 06-19-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8264 times
    Go ahead NRA and upset another large segment of your financial base. Their training and insurance products are in direct competition with many of their long term big funders. I am not happy about the NRA's push into becoming a profit center instead of an advocacy group for hunters and gun owners. But I am still a member for other reasons.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    1924 times
    I certainly do. It comes down to two words:

Bull Manure.

NRA will say it is about ammo capacity for no revolvers, or that the 1911 is obsolete, or some other excuse, but it comes down to their ill conceived ideas that everyone needs to have a basket of bullets to defend themselves, and said basket of bullets needs to be attached to the latest and greatest polymer projectile hurler made.

I will always remember my first defensive use of firearms class, and the old guy that taught it. He had this quote that still rings true today:

"It's not about the quantity of shots you can spray and pray with, but the quality of the first shot that you pray incapacitates your target".

No truer words on shot placement have been said since that time by any other trainer I have ever dealt with.

BTW, maybe the NRA should reread may of their earlier "Armed Citizen" blurbs in their publications. How many times did just the presence of a firearm ward off a potential attacker, regardless of type of firearm or bullet capacity of cylinder or magazine?
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    38843 times
    That article suggests uniform training platform. I could see that. Perhaps they will start offering more training for those other platforms. 3 Day Class $850. Ouch!
    Drewski likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links