Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Even SIG has it's problems

2K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  StuartJ 
#1 ·
#4 ·
OMG Sigs P229's are having issues.... yawn... It's not like there's only 1 or possibly 2 companies that make pistols for law enforcement. I blame 1/2 of the problem on Sig for not delivering the same exact pistol models as they put up for the bid and testing. I blame the other half on Jersey for being so reckless with their decision making abilities that they risk the lives of LEOs and other citizens trying to save a few bucks.

Reactions: Sekol
#5 ·
Who does not know that the first thing you try if you're having problems with a pistol is changing the ammo?

#9 ·
If everyone can see that they only "jam" when fed the training ammo, how is this a Sig issue?

Reactions: CaptainMorgan
#11 ·
If the NJ state police bought pistol A, but were shipped pistol B....that is a big problem for the manufacturer! On the other hand, the NJ state police accepted the B pistols. Hmmmmm, lots of people at fault here.....

#15 ·
This is not what happened at all.

#14 · (Edited)
Sounds like the NJSP wanted specific change to the weapon, Sig complied and somehow they weren't tested during trials with the training ammo. I read the available info and I think that it will not be Sigs fault. If the NJSP tried one version then asked for changes it becomes your fault. If it is the ammo used for training ... Which is highly probable it also isn't Sigs fault.

New Jersey Sues SIG SAUER For "Malfunctioning" P229s - The Truth About Guns

And I can only be a Taurus snob as I can't afford a Sig!

#16 ·
#17 ·
As we all like to say...Every company sends out turds...But it is how they handle the problem after
the fact is whats important.

Now rather Sig or NJSP is telling the truth remains to be seen...Thats for the courts to decide.

But the fact they replaced the Sig with one of those Gluck G19's has to make some on here cringe...LMAO:D

#19 ·
First, when did the NJSP start using the "practice ammunition that causes the issues"? Such ammunition is usually done on a bid basis, and it can be annually. Are we "sure" that Sig didn't test their guns with one practice ammunition, and then the NJSP changed vendor? Note, as well, that the Duty ammunition seems to have worked fine.

IF the P229 is at fault, why haven't other agencies using it reported similar issues? Or individuals? As most individuals shoot more than the average officer, wouldn't it have shown up there, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sekol View Post
If the NJ state police bought pistol A, but were shipped pistol B....that is a big problem for the manufacturer! On the other hand, the NJ state police accepted the B pistols. Hmmmmm, lots of people at fault here.....

This is not what happened at all.
If you read the OP article, the NJSP is saying that Sig shipped them a different version of the model they bid. Supposedly with a different style of extractor. However, the NJSP DID accept the marked pistols without comment. So, yes, Sekol has a point.

As for Glock, does anyone remember the Model 21 fiasco with LAPD? Or the incredible exploding .40 S&W models? Or, perhaps, the 9mm and .40 S&&W pistols with lights that developed reliability issues. With Glock saying that the lights were "too heavy"? Apparently not. ;)

In the end, it would appear that Glock will get the bid, and that Sig will become another victim of NJ politics. Hmmmmmm..........I wonder what would happen if they tried another practice ammo? Would they sue the manufacturer of the one that was failing, demanding money from them, as well? I'd also expect that we'll hear that Glock offered NJSP a super-cheap deal, from a connected distributor. :D

#21 ·
First, when did the NJSP start using the "practice ammunition that causes the issues"? Such ammunition is usually done on a bid basis, and it can be annually. Are we "sure" that Sig didn't test their guns with one practice ammunition, and then the NJSP changed vendor? Note, as well, that the Duty ammunition seems to have worked fine.

IF the P229 is at fault, why haven't other agencies using it reported similar issues? Or individuals? As most individuals shoot more than the average officer, wouldn't it have shown up there, as well?

If you read the OP article, the NJSP is saying that Sig shipped them a different version of the model they bid. Supposedly with a different style of extractor. However, the NJSP DID accept the marked pistols without comment. So, yes, Sekol has a point.

As for Glock, does anyone remember the Model 21 fiasco with LAPD? Or the incredible exploding .40 S&W models? Or, perhaps, the 9mm and .40 S&&W pistols with lights that developed reliability issues. With Glock saying that the lights were "too heavy"? Apparently not. ;)

In the end, it would appear that Glock will get the bid, and that Sig will become another victim of NJ politics. Hmmmmmm..........I wonder what would happen if they tried another practice ammo? Would they sue the manufacturer of the one that was failing, demanding money from them, as well? I'd also expect that we'll hear that Glock offered NJSP a super-cheap deal, from a connected distributor. :D
The first article is written by someone that's clearly trying to villify Sig and has no clue what they're talking about. The bottom of their own article pretty much contradicts everything they said. They got the gun they asked for. The other article posted in this thread shows that as well. I feel moved to believe the statement made by Sig and the opinion of the other article because... why aren't other agencies complaining of this? Why isn't the civilian market complaining of this? It's just another corrupt entity in NJ trying to get one over on somebody. We all have either owned guns or have at least heard of guns that don't like certain ammunition. Do we continue using that ammunition? No. We use what works.

#20 ·
The only Sig I own is a 30+ year old P220. I plan on a P320 Compact in 45 ACP when available. My old P220 is finicky about ammo that is not full power such as some of the imported Russian surplus that was available years ago but it will shoot Federal, Remington/UMC and Winchester White Box promotional ammo all day without a hiccup. It shoots all my reloads without problem as long as I keep the power factor on the upper side. Makes me wonder where NJSP get their training ammo.

#22 ·
The article states that the malfunction seemed to be related to the training ammo and the guns functioned normally with the duty ammo. Don't blame the gun. Blame the ammo.

#24 ·
I am sure that every manufacture has a had a problem firearm or 2, so Sig is no different.
the problem here however seems to be an ammo related issue.
seems that NJ are being a bit of a pain by simply not choosing another ammo, I mean certainly in this time we live there are more than 1 single ammo that will meets the requirements they have?
in these parts the departments generally use what ever approved ammo that has the best price and they order enough to run them the entire contract time period usually, but what they use this year may be different next year.
Maybe the chief, colonel, governor likes a certain brand?

#31 ·
I think a police department could save a boatload of money by switching to the Hi-Point .40. Not only are the guns inexpensive and reliable, but they wouldn't have to issue batons.

#33 ·
:above2: :sillydummies:

#37 ·
Sig rep at Big Shots in Lincoln today. I'd go and ask to shoot one free, they're doing that, but I'd feel bad about it knowing I don't have the money to actually buy a Sig right now. Besides the range is usually busy on Saurday. When I called to ask about that the salesman who answered set they're weren't too busy but then he added they had 3 or 4 lanes open. That's a third to half of their lanes so too me that's busy. Since when I normally go during the week I'm the only person in there.

Reactions: 45 Forever
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.