Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Women Shooting with Fingernails?

10K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  tcox4freedom 
#1 ·
I've just gotten my wife started (just barely) getting familiar with my 24/7 pro ds 9mm. She hasn't actually fired it yet, but I was showing her some basics last night about what the levers do, and the difference between SA and DA, safety, all that.

She had a hard time pressing the slide release and when she finally did get it to release, when the slide came forward, it broke the corner off of her fingernail. It's not something I've ever really considered, but although she doesn't have long nails by any stretch of the imagination, they do stick out past the end of the skin on her fingers, unlike mine.

I figure there's probably at least a few women on this forum, and some guys that have girlfriends/wives that shoot. Any tips on how to get around this and/or similar issues?

#5 ·
I had my wife take her CCW with a revolver. She still shoots it. I thought it better to pull the trigger 5 times and have it go bang 5 times, than turn a 9 shot into a one shot or no shot because of safety issues or limp wrist in the heat of the moment.

#6 ·
well these responses definitely aren't going in the direction i wanted them to. the 24/7 is what i/we have, and that's because i saved up for it. so a revolver definitely isn't gonna happen. not anytime soon for sure.

so, any ideas on how to improve the current situation?

#7 ·
If she does not mind wearing tips, I would recommend them. They are thicker and stronger than regular nails and you can have them cut to any length you want. Look very natiral if taken care of. I have people tell me they can't tell mine are not my own.

#8 ·
Lady here and I own a 24/7 myself. I also own 1911's and a Mil Pro for my carry. I've wore tips and acrylic nails for years myself. I've shot both with and without long nails. I agree with cws_dallaswife. I love wearing the "fake" nails due to the toughness of them. They actually look better than my real nails. And they really aren't that expensive to keep up. A maintenance trip every two weeks will take care of keeping them up for her. When I'm not wearing them, I'm careful, keep my real ones short to shoot. I've cracked off more than one of my real ones shooting. LOL I can mess up my real ones simply doing routine housework.

#10 ·
Don't use the slide release, use a tactical slingshot release. If you're not familiar, instead of pressing the slide release, just pull back on slde and let go. And I do mean LET GO. Works everytime and there is no fumbling l;ooking or feeling for the release lever. Tactical teams use it because they normally have gloves on. I may be calling it the wrong name, but you can figure out what I mean.

#11 ·
The 24/7 has a hard release for the slide that will loosen up a lot after 100 rounds. I could barely get mine to release when I first got it now its just a flick of the thumb.

If she is using a two handed hold have her release it with the week hand thumb that could help. I don't have long nails but have Broke a few on new guns.

#12 ·
Now I don't know about the "finger nail" issue, but I can tell you from personal experience that you really have to get a (smaller) woman holding a semi-auto pistol correctly with the right amount of push and pull. This way she doesn't have any "limp wrist" issues where the gun does not cycle adequately during recoil.

My last girlfriend bought a NIB PT 111 Mil Pro and her first time out (without me) hated it because "it jammed all the time". I told her not to worry and that I would take her shooting and see if we could figure out the problem. Sure enough her shooting stance was all over the damn place and she was using the Charlies' Angel's teacup holding method with zero pressure or retention in her grip. When she pulled the trigger that damn thing jumped almost completely vertical.

Turned out that the douchebag she went shooting with the first time was more concerned with getting laid than teaching her how to properly defend herself. But then judging by the looks of him, he had no idea how to shoot either. So it was probably best he didn't "show her" anything about shooting.

#13 ·
I second "NOT" using the slide release. That mechanism is for locking the slide back; not releasing it. If you do a manual pull & release you help insure "proper" chambering and it limits the wear on the "slide" lock mechanism.

I thought this was going to be a question about pulling the trigger with the fingernail. If so, all I can say is OUCH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.