Using mixed rounds in mag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Using mixed rounds in mag

Member #
    Liked
    69 times

Using mixed rounds in mag

Hi, i was thinking of loading my mags with mixed rounds (self defense HP and FMJ). Here is the thinking behind this.

Lets say your in a firefight with a mass shooter and they take cover behind a wall or something similar. The HP may not penetrate but the FMJ will. So would it not be better to load with mixed rounds?

Is there a functional reason this would not work?
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. (my username is short for durango dave)

Member #
    Liked
    596 times
    they should all work but also think of over penetration with fmj's. where are they going after? Myself I wouldn't bring them.
    ICUKev likes this.
    Ahhh yes, it's all coming back to me now. Peter Sellers

Member #
    Liked
    373 times
    They should work together as long as they work separately but I would question the need. The odds of needing to penetrate cover/concealment during a self-defense scenario is pretty slim, I would think. When I carry a .380 it's loaded with FMJ in the winter and a quality JHP the rest of the year. Larger calibers are always loaded with quality JHP.
    NotSo, RustyYoungMan and ICUKev like this.
    If you want the money out of politics take the power out of government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    I mix up the ammo in my mags for range/practice time. This is mostly to justify to myself that my guns will fire what I feed them and can handle rapid change.
    For carry purposes tho, you will never know when you might need to shoot through a wall or brick, so it's impossible to load mixed mags for that. Better to have more mags to put rounds through the same hole than carry a mixed mag. I'd rather not shoot through somebody because of a mixed mag, or worse, try to remember where the FMJ round was loaded in a gunfight.
    Just my .02
    NotSo, G8R8U2 and 230JHP like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    I agree, it is just better to load with SD rounds rather than worry about other things.
    RebelSoul and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    16339 times
    I load my magazines when new and on occasion with mixed ammunition varying from different manufacture to different design to make sure that the firearm will transmission from one to the other without fault. However, the only time that I load a mix of ammunition in a magazine that I will depend on is if while counting out the rounds of ammunition I run short of defensive ammunition and then need only two or less rounds to fill the magazine. At which time I am willing to make the last two rounds to be fired a practice round which may or may not result in over penetration upon striking the intended target. But then I have always been taught to look beyond the target for any collateral impact damage.
    Car_Doc likes this.
    In an effort to remain Politically, Socially and Humanly Correct: Please take everything I say with a grain of salt, understanding that I mean to NOT offend any individual, group, sect, affiliation, real or fictitious in nature.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Let's say your not in a confrontation​with a mass shooter? Now you're just slinging lead into your neighbors home. We live on a corner lot so only one neighbor is 6-10ft from us while the rest are across a street or our backyards (1/4 acre lots) butt up.
    I'm not against my neighbors shooting in self defense but I'd at least hope they'd consider those around them, so I will try to do the same.
    For out and about it's just as urban so my theory doesn't change and I'll load SD ammo until carrying a shotgun is legal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    All good sense replies, thanks ill back it down and just use SD in my carry weapon as i too dont want anyone hurt but the intented target. Thanks for the info.
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. (my username is short for durango dave)

Member #
    Liked
    2981 times
    See -- that's why you need to carry hand grenades. If the mass shooter ducks behind cover, you lob a grenade at 'em.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    If you are in an active shooter situation and the shooter ducks behind cover, it's time for you to get out of Dodge or at least increase the distance between you and the shooter while also getting closer to an exit. Once an active shooter ducks behind cover, they are not a threat so continuing to shoot in their direction makes you the active shooter in the eyes of responding law enforcement. And continuing to shoot when you are not being shot at will greatly weaken your case in court. As far as what I carry in my EDC magazines, they're filled with Critical Duty.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links