Using mixed rounds in mag - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Using mixed rounds in mag

Member #
    Liked
    2395 times
    I have read of mixing rounds in a shotgun to be able to deal with different threats in a particular scenario. So far as handguns, the reason to mix different rounds is to assess how you shoot. For instance, .38 and .357 in a revolver, you can see flinches and trigger pulls versus squeezes with the different rounds. The key is, you don't know the sequence in advance. My opinion, for what you put forth, load for that background. Your home, decide how much penetration is acceptable and load accordingly. Just understand the wisdom of Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke: "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."
    RustyYoungMan likes this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    1639 times
    Like others, I've heard of mixing rounds in a single mag to test function; but never to carry for some unlikely hypothetical scenario... how would you even know what order to put the rounds in until the scenario actually starts?

Makes a little more sense with a revolver, especially one like a Judge, where you can alternate .45 Colt and .410; but even then you won't know which round is more appropriate or effective until the actual engagement begins... and by that time it'll be too late to change your mind about which round you want to fire first.
    olfarhors likes this.

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon

Member #
    Liked
    348 times
    Do some of your own ballistic tests. I shot hornandy critical defense 9mm through a car door. It then went through the first 2x6 and lodged in the second. I would stick with self defense ammo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1713 times
    Quote Originally Posted by durangod View Post
    Hi, i was thinking of loading my mags with mixed rounds (self defense HP and FMJ). Here is the thinking behind this.

Lets say your in a firefight with a mass shooter and they take cover behind a wall or something similar. The HP may not penetrate but the FMJ will. So would it not be better to load with mixed rounds?

Is there a functional reason this would not work?
    Guess I'll be one of the odd ones, as usual.

I carry hollow point AND FMJ rounds in the same magazine. Chambered round is HP and first couple of rounds in the mag are as well, followed by FMJ.

Depending on what full-sized sidearm I carry, the first 8 rounds (for the 16+1 CZ 75B) or 5 rounds (for the time-tested 1911-A1) may be HPs, followed by FMJ.
    Only carry FMJ in the PT-111 G2. The short barrel already robs the bullets of velocity, so why stack the odds any further in favor of under-penetration?

Rationale:
    First few shots likely need to do the most damage in the least amount of time to STOP THE THREAT. Whether they expend all their kinetic energy inside the criminal or manage to make a (messy) exit wound, these first shots would be the most critical.

Next couple of shots are there for penetration. Yes, I said it. A bad word, I know (not that way! Pre-vert ) Two holes per bullet* should be considered a good thing in terms of stopping power. Mind you, the bullet shouldn't just be flying through the criminal. Chances are it will be slowed down as it passes through soft tissue and bone.

Maybe the criminal(s) is/are behind cover or have flak vests on. Maybe their clothing just happens to be thick enough that the bullets aren't penetrating deep enough.

Just my opinion. I've heard of folks who simply alternated HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ....

*Without getting too far into it, I'm pretty sure over-penetration of Center-of-mass hits with commonly-carried sidearms is a myth. Yes, it may be a possibility for a heavy .357 or .44 load paired with a 6" barrel, but not likely for pocket pistols, snubbies, etc. If we're talking about a shot that goes through a hand or such other thin areas, then a HP would probably have zipped right through as well with enough kinetic energy to hurt someone else in the flight path. Kinda goes back to the "Know your target and what lies beyond it".
    Last edited by RustyYoungMan; 04-21-2017 at 04:23 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Member #
    Liked
    6691 times
    The shooter going behind cover just put himself at a disadvantage. You can train your sights to pop him when he emerges.
    loudviking likes this.
    I can smell a commie a mile away; they didn't fool me then and they damn sure don't fool me now!ooooLeejack

Member #
    Liked
    7652 times
    Dude - You are violating one of the gun safety rules in this situation. Know your target and beyond. I'm all for training in different environments, but when are you ever going to carry mix loads? You'd have to know in advance there was going to be a situation like you described.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet

Member #
    Liked
    2070 times
    I wouldn't as you'd have to remember which are which in a situation (you're under enough stress and probably won't remember). Here is a suggestion if you want to carry fmj. Load up a spare mag with it so you know if you run into that scenario, the other mag is fmj. I feel that if you get into a firefight like that and need two mags to continue firing, I'm going to be looking for a way out as my pt709 and I are in the wrong place at a very wrong time!
    You can feed the problem or the solution.... Whichever you feed is the one that will grow...

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    My OCD won't allow it.
    olfarhors likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    I'll run mixed mags to test the function of the gun - mixing up different bullet profiles etc at the range...but I run SD ammo when I'm out and about.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    985 times
    Quote Originally Posted by durangod View Post
    Hi, i was thinking of loading my mags with mixed rounds (self defense HP and FMJ). Here is the thinking behind this.

Lets say your in a firefight with a mass shooter and they take cover behind a wall or something similar. The HP may not penetrate but the FMJ will. So would it not be better to load with mixed rounds?

Is there a functional reason this would not work?
    For me, that's overthinking the SD issue. Load your Gun with what you feel is the best SD ammo.
    jtg452 and olfarhors like this.
    Taurus Millennium PT-111 G2 9mm /Taurus M85 UL 38Spl.
    Really Old S&W .38Spl./S&W M&P Bodyguard 380
    Maverick 88 12ga Pump/NRA Member./GWL holder.

I was Just thinking. Then, I realized that was what got me in trouble to begin with.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links