Recommendation
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Recommendation

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Recommendation

Can you experts recommend me a compact carry pistol for the girlfriend? I'd like a 9mm for her that she can put in her purse and not have it be overly burdensome. She's not a tiny little thing so recoil isn't a big issue. I'm carrying my PT111 G2 and was wondering if that's something you think would fit the bill for her. If not, what would.

Member #
    Liked
    1545 times
    A question that has been asked a lot of times and generally boils down to two schools:

1. The school of 'this is what works for me/someone I know'.

2. The school of 'let her decide what works for her'.

I'm partial to the latter. Taking her out to the range and letting her try as many different guns as possible until she finds the right 'fit' in size, grip, recoil, etc., is the key to getting her a gun/ammo combination that she will not only carry, but will shoot for practice to build skill. Plus you get range time out of the deal, so it's win-win-win.

Once she's got a gun, then the next step is the carry. I see you're from Belton (I grew up just a little north of St. Joe and have family in/from Belton -- one uncle was stationed at Richards-Gebaur). There's an IDPA club in Overland Park. IDPA competition is an excellent way to get familiar with what works for concealed carry and to gain proficiency in the gun handling associated with carrying concealed. Plus it's fun and a great way to put lead down range.

On top of that there are plenty of training courses available for that next step in building proficiency.
    kmw1954, Sekol, NotSo and 3 others like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    As stated above. Take her to favorite local gun store and find what feels good. Rent at the range and try before you buy. If it does not fit her she will not like it.
    Enjoy the search.
    kmw1954 and olfarhors like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thank you! The goal is to get her to a range in the next couple weeks and rent a few different guns. If she can get some lead down range and feel comfortable with a certain gun, I think it would help her out. Also, being pregnant with me working odd hours, it makes me feel better knowing she has a weapon at hand that she is comfortable with.

Having said that, is there any inherent benefit to say 9mm vs 380 or vice versa? Again, I'm just curious. I suggested a 9mm since that is what I'm using in the car and for ease, there'd be the need for just a single round rather than a couple different ones.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8249 times
    Let her decide on caliber and make and model of weapon. In the meantime, take her to a place with a good selection, and let her see what feels right to her. Then, when you go to rent, you'll have an idea of what she likes.

You'll probably find that small guns, especially in 9mm, aren't going to be her favorite if she's new to shooting. Then again, mini-guns in .380 will be the same. It's not just recoil, but about being able to hang onto the guns, and hit something.

Also, they make dedicated carry-purses. These locate the gun in a pocket, usually accessible from outside. It's always in the same spot, and you can conceal a larger, more comfortable to shoot, weapon.

Good luck.

Oh, and check with her OB doc about shooting. Some of them will limit it, with the exposure to air-borne lead at the range.
    NotSo likes this.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    Let her decide on caliber and make and model of weapon. In the meantime, take her to a place with a good selection, and let her see what feels right to her. Then, when you go to rent, you'll have an idea of what she likes.

You'll probably find that small guns, especially in 9mm, aren't going to be her favorite if she's new to shooting. Then again, mini-guns in .380 will be the same. It's not just recoil, but about being able to hang onto the guns, and hit something.

Also, they make dedicated carry-purses. These locate the gun in a pocket, usually accessible from outside. It's always in the same spot, and you can conceal a larger, more comfortable to shoot, weapon.

Good luck.

Oh, and check with her OB doc about shooting. Some of them will limit it, with the exposure to air-borne lead at the range.
    I hadn't considered the doc may limit shooting during pregnancy. She is an experienced shooter but doesn't have her own weapon and that needs to change for my sanity and her safety.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8249 times
    She can check on her next visit. If she's an experienced shooter, she probably has something in mind, already. Beware the hormones, and simply buy it for her.
    gunslinger9729 likes this.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    3974 times
    I agree with letting the person you getting the for pick out what they like. It really is a personal decision.
    kmw1954 and Czechbikr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6716 times
    I hate purse carry because what is the 1st thing a thief grabs? then he has the gun
    CWB, Czechbikr and olfarhors like this.
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    21264 times
    Name:  Missouri welcome 01.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  58.5 KB

I'm just south of you a few miles and buy all my steaks and chops at the Belton Hy-Vee.

My EDC is usually a PT709 but I'm also not adverse to using a .380 PT58 bit it's a bit large.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links