Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Road trip firearms

3K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  CJS3 
#1 ·
My wife and I are taking a week-long road trip this summer, and I'm wondering which long barreled firearm(s) I should take along for survival and self defense should (heaven forbid) the need arise in these wide open desert southwest spaces. The long gun choices are:

20 gauge shotgun 21 inch barrel
.22 caliber rifle
AR 15 5.56/.223 rifle
.308 bolt action

I have a vague idea which one(s) will be going along and which will stay home, but thought I'd throw the subject out for your thoughts. Explanations for your conclusions appreciated, and if you want to throw in something I didn't list but you personally like, go for it.

(PS: My choices for handguns are already determined.)

See less See more
Reactions: kschilk
#2 ·
I am leaning toward the 20 gauge with a mixed load of 00 and a heavy pellet. Maybe some slugs for variety.

What does your wife shoot best and like? That may come into play also.

#4 ·
Desert-relatively open terrain with little option to stalk prey. Small prey when you do find it. Indicates the need for small bore rifle.
Defense-short range from an enclosed area your talking shotgun or repeating rifle. At defense distance your shotgun is a big slow rifle. It's a toss up to the platform so AR is quick and packs a pile of ammo, easy mag swaps. Shotgun carries 5-7 rounds and is slow to reload.

Combining those two scenarios I see the AR going along. In wooded terrain I would think shotgun, but your not in the woods.

#6 ·
Are talking about the Big Bend area of Hillcountries ? I'd take the 20 and AR and a nice OWB rider . I wouldn't worry about slugs but 00 would be real good . You can miss with slugs since there is only one per/shot but 00 gives several reasons of second thoughts . Just keep the flagships out of site unless needed which I really doubt you will need them . I doubt any illegals that you might run across will be armed with guns , maybe knifes but I doubt it . Be cool and have a great time and be safe .

#8 ·
It depends on what you envision that your self defense situation(s) might be on the trip. My initial thought is the AR. It's more versatile. Easy and faster to shot, higher capacity, easy to get parts for and repair should the need arise, sufficient caliber for most applications, easy to accessorize, etc.

#9 ·
Definitely the AR and a good semi pistol.

When my family took our last road trip, I carried my PT145, my wife had her LCP, and my son had his SR9c.

The AK was in the trunk in case the apocalypse occurred while we were away from home!

My youngest daughter, who was 14 at the time, remarked that she would grab the AK if needed.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Yes to all of them except the 20 gauge.
.22 rifle: Good for small animals, just plain fun.
AR 15: Good for slightly bigger animals, IMHO.
.308: Will do for the biggest animals you may see in the desert.

My personal selection is a .357 magnum revolver, a .357 magnum lever action rifle, and a .22 LR single action revolver. Handles everything I may encounter: .357 revolver with snake shot loads, rifle with 158 JHPs for medium to large animals, and the .22 for small game.

#11 ·
I suppose it depends on where you are headed. If California, the shotgun. Elsewhere in the West, the AR. Just watch Colorado; they have magazine restrictions.

#22 ·
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the legal side of things.

TrucksNCoffee, probably just need to check the laws of your final destinations as well as those states you may go through to get there; that might help narrow your choices.

Personally, on trips to multiple states I keep a .45-70 lever action in the SUV as a truck gun, and a Judge riding between the seats. Those 2 are legal just about everywhere.

Then, depending on state laws, I'll carry 1 of my preferred EDC's and a backup pocket gun on my person, and throw the 10/22 takedown in the back too. If there are pistol mag limits of 10 rounds, I'd take my 7-shot .357 and/or my 8+1 .40 S&W; if there are no limits, I still take the .357, but also a hi-cap .45 ACP or 9mm.

If there's no chance I'll be in a state with AR or mag limits I'd probably take the "AR-10".

#12 ·
I often seem to be the contrarian. In a SHTF or survival situation, I think the best long gun to have is a slinged .22. Accurate, light, can carry lots of ammo, capable of killing nearly any game or pest (including two legged) you'll find in the desert. A semi-auto such as a 10/22 would be my choice. Keeping in mind that in a survival situation, you will be without your car (probably), and being in the desert, water and the transportation of water (about 8 pounds to the gallon) is the most important commodity. 200 rounds of .22 is probably less than a pound. As for a carry gun, it's not a critical consideration for survival, but if you insist, something light and high capacity with one or two full mags.

YMMV

#15 ·
In my opinion, if ya' can't do it with a .308...:unsure:...it prob'ly can't be done. Sure, might be kinda' hard on small stuff but that's why God created headshots. Though point of aim might be critical for optimum results, you could bring down anything from an elephant to a tweety bird with a .308.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee
#17 ·
Maybe, but a 308 wouldn't leave enough of Tweety Bird for Granny to identify, even with new spectacles. ��
...:dunno:...but think of the time you'd save on guttin' and pluckin'.

#21 ·
On my long road trips either the AR or Mini14 or both is behind the seats. When the wife does trips up to the farm by herself she takes the Rossi .357 lever rifle.

Reactions: Czechbikr
#24 ·
I kind of like the notion of taking them all. They all have their separate utilization.

#27 ·
;)

After all...it IS Texas!!

#25 ·
I think it is time for a new gun. Mossberg .500. Mine came with pistol grip and two barrels. I'm thinking pistol grip and short barrel would be a great combo for a road gun.

Reactions: Panda
#29 ·
If you ever got your SKS working to your satisfaction, I'd go with that. Better for Texas wild pigs than .556. Accurate, not too big, low recoil, and reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.