Found what I wanted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Found what I wanted

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Found what I wanted

I found the gun that Iwas looking for and it is a smith&wesson sd40 ve from sportsmanoutdoorsuperstore for 299.88 I'm going to order it in the next couple days and now I'm wondering whats the best holster I can get for it

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    And the ammo I'm thinking about is Sig Sauer 40 S&W 165 gr JHP Elite V-Crown 20/Box

Member #
    Liked
    4734 times
    Congrats on your new shooter. There are tons of great holsters out there, but it depends a lot on how you intend to carry it. Good luck!
    olfarhors likes this.
    I'll give you to the count of three to get off my property...one, two, BANG!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9934 times
    Others will have holster suggestions, but I'll chime in on ammo. Most modern hollow point ammo will get the job done, but the key is to fire enough through your gun that you know it will function flawlessly. Some guns don't like extra wide mouth hollow points, others don't like polymer plugged hollow points. Find out what works in your gun, and you don't have to try them all...once you find one that works in your gun, you're good to go. I would suggest at least 100 trouble free rounds to reach that comfort level.
    Panda, jtg452 and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    So what's a good brand and grain that you use for your firearm?

Member #
    Liked
    4734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamal007 View Post
    Sorry, I can't help you there. I don't use factory ammo in my centerfire handguns. As far as my hand loads go, I prefer Hornady 150gr. XTP hollow point bullets for my .40 S&W handguns.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    17071 times
    lots of ideas, First the brand and weight that works 120% of the time in YOUR particular weapon.
    then as mentioned most any of the modern hollow point ammo will more than do the job IF you do yours (put the projectile on target in COM), if all else is equal between brands then I pick out the one with the prettiest box. --Just kidding I reload all my ammo and don't do a 40 so???
    I shoot 150 grainers in my 10 MM though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Drewski likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    4734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    lots of ideas, First the brand and weight that works 120% of the time in YOUR particular weapon.
    then as mentioned most any of the modern hollow point ammo will more than do the job IF you do yours (put the projectile on target in COM), if all else is equal between brands then I pick out the one with the prettiest box. --Just kidding I reload all my ammo and don't do a 40 so???
    I shoot 150 grainers in my 10 MM though.
    I shoot 200 gr. bullets out of my 10mm Glock. You wouldn't believe the 100 yds accuracy. I built them for hog hunting, but I bet they'll work okay for just about anything else with an attitude.
    Drewski likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24682 times
    I've settled on Speer Gold Dot 180gr. for my S&W Shield. My Smith likes it, yours probably will too. As for holsters, I recommend you experiment until you find what works for you. Too many variations in holsters to recommend one in particular, because what works for me, might not work for you. I can say one thing, and I think most here will agree, IWB is the most concealable, and OWB, the most comfortable. Congrats on your new selection, and good luck!
    Panda and Drewski like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    9934 times
    In my PT111 (9mm), I use Federal HST 124gr. In my Sig P229 (.40 S&W), I use Winchester Ranger 180gr. The HST flowering pattern (very similar to Sig Crown) makes it my favorite ammo. I would have gone this route for my Sig, but I already had a nice stack of the Rangers when Federal came out with the HST. Like I said in my first post, just about any modern hollow point will get the job done, so I stuck with the Rangers I had...no point in spending money I don't need to.

Weight (grain) is a preference based on felt recoil and in some cases accuracy. My PT111 shoots 124gr with better comfort and noticeably more consistent accuracy than 115gr or 147gr ammo. My Sig shoots 165gr and 180gr ammo with the same accuracy, but 165gr has more of a poppy recoil vs. 180gr.

HP ammo ain't cheap. My advice is shoot ball ammo in differnt weights to see if you have a preference. After that, make an ordered list of what HP ammo you think you'll like best and buy one box at a time in your preferred weight, starting from the top of your list. If you get a failure, move down to the next item on your list. Once you make it through a box without a failure (hopefully your first box), go buy another and shoot it. Once you are confident you've found your round, buy what you want to keep on hand and never look back.

Good luck, have fun, and congrats on your first pistol.

EDIT:
    An additional thought...sometimes it can be difficult to find certain ammo brand/weight combos at local stores. Finding what you want online is usually easier, but shipping costs make my "one box at a time" suggestion above cost prohibitive. My point is, if Sig Crown is #1 on your list, Federal HST is #2, and Speer Gold Dot is #3 (or whatever), but the only one you can find locally are the Gold Dots, then just start with those.
    Last edited by Drewski; 02-15-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: additional commentary
    Panda likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links