Sharing too much info on guns
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Sharing too much info on guns

Member #
    Liked
    811 times

Sharing too much info on guns

How much info do you share about your guns? I don't mind posting on here about my guns as I have a little anonymity with no using my real name and not sharing a lot of my info like people do on Facebook. I know there are ways to track people down with the info you can find on forums ( depending on what they share and so on), I have back tracked people with Photobucket just to try it. I have a family member that made a post on Facebook the other day that blew my mind. He not only posted about every gun he owns, posting pictures as well, but he also posted where he stashes each and every one though out his house and in his vehicles. He's not real old, maybe in his mid-60's and I thought he was of sound mind but now I am not so sure.
    "No man can be condemned for owning a dog. As long as he’s got a dog he’s got a friend and the poorer he gets the better friend he has." - Will Rogers

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22285 times
    There is no privacy on the internet. If you use it, some government agency knows or can find out in about a minute, who you are and where you are.

So, having said that, the real question is, what do you post, and what do you share if you decide to post. People who say something incredibly stupid (such as about a sitting president) are just asking for trouble. Don't be lulled into the dream that you can say anything to anybody and no one will find out. That is fanciful thinking.

Having said that, I don't mind posting pics of a gun, because I could turn around and sell it tomorrow (or not). I don't think posting a 'group photo' of most or all of my guns is a good idea, but some people do that and if you're comfortable doing so, hey more power to you.
    2016 TA.net Fantasy Football League Champion

You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    10007 times
    What guns?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    There is no privacy on the internet. If you use it, some government agency knows or can find out in about a minute, who you are and where you are.

So, having said that, the real question is, what do you post, and what do you share if you decide to post. People who say something incredibly stupid (such as about a sitting president) are just asking for trouble. Don't be lulled into the dream that you can say anything to anybody and no one will find out. That is fanciful thinking.

Having said that, I don't mind posting pics of a gun, because I could turn around and sell it tomorrow (or not). I don't think posting a 'group photo' of most or all of my guns is a good idea, but some people do that and if you're comfortable doing so, hey more power to you.
    I don't mind sharing about my guns but like I pointed out, he was sharing way too much. Like "this is my S&W .357, it resides in the drawer of my nightstand right next to my bed. This is my Taurus PT92, it hangs out in the book case behind Treasure Island". I mean specific locations through out the house. He "checks in" when he goes to restaurants, posts all about being on vacation and stuff like that. It just seems crazy to let people know when you are away from home and just where to find all of your guns.
    "No man can be condemned for owning a dog. As long as he’s got a dog he’s got a friend and the poorer he gets the better friend he has." - Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    1654 times
    What I share in a forum differs from what I'd share on a site like Facebook. I don't even really use Facebook because it's pretty well-known that criminals frequently use it like a "shopping" list, much like they did My Space before it.

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon

Member #
    Liked
    882 times
    Mutt I agree that he is giving way too much info.
    Mutt, WoodyUSSLUCE and GhostHorse like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Almost Michigan Almost Ohio - bat country!
    Liked
    4017 times
    I share little to no actual personal information and occasionally post intentionally misleading things just in case. I am not active in social media beyond having a facebook account and re-posting cat pics. I do not post any gun pics on FB at all and precious little personal pics even.

I'll post non-location specific pics here (I don't geotag any photos and edit them again to strip any residual data from them as well) but pretty much nowhere else.

I NEVER post a running log of what I'm doing anywhere.
    Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.
    - R. A. Heinlein

Member #
    Liked
    16441 times
    I will share if I'm reasonably certain it's only with like-minded people. I don't worry so much about the government. Well actually I do, but I'm not going to thwart them in that way if they are after me. Which I don't know why they would be.

Mostly I don't want to be a target for zealots and thieves. Or allow people to form an inaccurate opinion of me based on some Facebook post, even if that's really their problem not mine. I also don't want such an opinion of me to reflect on other family members that may use the same social network. I have seen all sorts of problems people create for themselves by sharing too much. That's not where I choose to fight the battle. I'll do it at the ballot box and with my treasure going to causes I support.
    Last edited by glenwolde; 01-10-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Definition of clip
    : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    4068 times
    I have a FB account but rarely use it, some people put way to much info on it in my opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    730 times
    I'm just here for the apple pie recipes.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links