Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Gun Laws- Straw Purchase?

What is the EXACT definition of a "Straw Purchase"?

I understand the basic definition, but the law doesn't go into real depth about what it means.

Say a father wants to buy his 18 year old son his first handgun?

What is YOUR explanation of the term and the law?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4549 times

Re: Gun Laws- Straw Purchase?

I believe the new forms ask if it's a gift and if the person in question is legal to own said gun But I'm not sure.

The basic definition is if someone that you don't know or can't legally purchase a gun gives you the money to buy the gun for them thats a straw purchase. Best to my understanding.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever
    I believe the new forms ask if it's a gift and if the person in question is legal to own said gun But I'm not sure.

The basic definition is if someone that you don't know or can't legally purchase a gun gives you the money to buy the gun for them thats a straw purchase. Best to my understanding.
    Makes sense...
    All your firearms needs. Retail guns at wholesale prices.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=34277.0

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A straw purchaser acts as the proxy for someone else in buying a firearm. The law makes no distinction between someone who is acting as a proxy for someone prohibited from buying or possessing a firearm, and someone who is acting as proxy for an otherwise legal buyer. If you check yes on the box on the 4473 that says I am the buyer of this firearm, when you're actually buying for someone else (whether that person is legally permitted to own firearms or not), you are a straw purchaser and committing a felony. That being said, as 45 Forever indicates it is perfectly legal to buy a gun as a gift. But you can't take any shortcuts and lie on the 4473 by saying you are the buyer, and then give the gun to someone else. The person you are giving the gun to will have to fill out the 4473 as the purchaser in order for it to be legal.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKTOWN

I understand the basic definition, but the law doesn't go into real depth about what it means.

I should have read your message closer -- I believe that in most states, interfamilial transfers (father to son, son to dad, etc.) are legal without going through a dealer, so you likely could buy the gun yourself, then give it to your son. Might want to double check with a dealer in your state in case there are any wrinkles of state or local law. The intent of the federal law is to prevent people from buying guns for criminals and other non-eligible people, not to stop nice dads from buying guns for their sons (as long as the sons are legally able to own firearms, natch). next time I'll read the posts closer....

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

But you can't take any shortcuts and lie on the 4473 by saying you are the buyer, and then give the gun to someone else. The person you are giving the gun to will have to fill out the 4473 as the purchaser in order for it to be legal.
    This is incorrect.
    A straw purchase is one in which an eligible buyer buys a gun for someone who is ineligible to buy one.
    If you buy a gun legally you can then give it as a gift to someone who can legally possess a gun without them having to fill out a 4473 as long as you comply with the legal requirements in your state for private transfers of firearms.
    Even if you are buying a gun as a gift, when you check the box that says "I am the buyer of this firearm" you are not lying as long as you pay for and take possession of the gun. At that point the transaction is complete.
    You run into trouble if you transfer the gun to someone who cannot legally buy or possess a gun in your state.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

While the "straw man" legalisms are undoubtedly a matter of interpretation (i.e., the government can make the law mean whatever they want to in order to charge you with a crime that you didn't actually commit), the best advice I can give based on recent personal experience is, just buy the gun as if you were buying it for yourself and don't say a word about it being for anyone else. I'm assuming, of course, that you live in a state where the individual does not need a permit for each gun he owns...

See here for more on my ordeal:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=19216.0

http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2009/0...xperience.html
    Paul the ex-Yankee Millenium Pro .45 + 24/7 Pro 9mm

Free, determined, educated, organized, self-sufficient and armed - a commie's worst nightmare.

"A noble spirit embiggens the littlest man." -- Jebediah Springfield

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKTOWN

Here in Georgia the 18 year old son can legally posess a gun. Nothing wrong with your scenario, but I'm guessing you don't live in GA, so check out the state laws.

Here is a good definition (it really can't mean whatever the government wants it to mean): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_purchase
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4549 times

When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    9984 times

To me, it's when you purchase a gun with the INTENTION of turning around and selling it to somebody else, or using somebody else's money to purchase a gun for them and then give it to them after the sale.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links