Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus vs Kimber funny true story. Read to the end.

4K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  airwrench 
#1 ·
So I recently went into a pawnshop in my small hometown in a rural Arkansas community. I knew the owner of this business for a long time. Since I was knee high to a duck. Anyways, I walked into a pawn shop looking around to see what he had for sale. This younger guy comes up to the counter and asked me if I needed help. He noticed my pistol in the holster and asked me what it was. I told him it was a Taurus 845. He responded "you want a better holster for that thing" I said "well let’s see what you got" he took out the waste bucket and put it over the counter and said here you go. I laughed at him and told him I bet you swing from Glocks nuts. His reply was no. Then showed me his kimber custom 1911. He bragged about how it cost him over 1500 dollars, had adjustable sights, and so on and so on and a 3 lbs. custom trigger. He told me how they are so accurate. He said he could shoot bulls eyes all day long. He continued to read off the specs that he had memorized. He was going on about how this thing was the best hand gun on the entire planet. Now I am not bashing a 1911. I love them, I have had the cheap ones from Rock Island Armory, I have had a Taurus, and I have had the expensive ones like Kimbers, Smith and Wesson, and Colts. Yes when I was young and dumb I thought a 1911 was the most bad ass nothing can compete with it ever super legendary weapon. I know how accurate a 1911 can get as well. After a little bit of bicker back and forth the owner came out and asked what was up. I told him and he looked at me and laughed. (when I was 12 years old he used to sell .22 shells to my dad and I, and let us shoot turtles in his rice fields he knew his employee was about to get embarrassed) He told his employee lets go out to the range out back. His employee agreed. The owner set up two lanes. 6 targets each. You had to fire 2 shots at each target, while completing the course. It was timed and closest shot groups won. My little Taurus that I paid a few hundred bucks for killed that guys Kimber. Easy. So after whining about how it wasn’t fair because I had an unfair advantage, the owner set two targets at 20 yards and gave us 25 rounds a piece. I shot a group about the size of a pack of cigarettes. The guy with his Kimber had a hell of a lot bigger group. All I could think of is just because you can afford the best doesn’t make you the best. After we got done shooting I holstered my pistol “cheap ass pistol, into my cheap ass holster” and slid the trash can over to the other guy and said here is a holster for that 1500 dollar Kimber. I laughed.

See less See more
#6 ·
He had his wife in there. It was all good. His little range is his test range. He does some gunsmith work on the side. He also lets serious buyers test fire pistols if they have cash in hand. He would rather have you know what you are buying up front instead of buying and selling it because you don't like it.

#5 ·
I remember shooting a USPSA match with my 1st Gen 24/7 9mm LS. A couple of
guys came up to me after my second stage and ask what is was because it seemed
like a sweet shooter. I said Taurus. A moment of silence the one said "OH".

Its tough to accept that your highly modified Glock or Kimber can be outdone
by a lowly ole Taurus.:cool:

#7 ·
It always cracks me up when I see people go out and spend a bunch of money on adjustable high dollar sights, guide rod lasers, and getting trigger jobs, match grade competition whatever the hell parts for a pistol that they will use for a daily carry piece.

Now I am not saying that those parts do not have a place or time to be used. They are not going to help in 99% life or death real world situation for the AVERAGE civilian. My dad taught me to shoot and in a situation where speed is your friend he taught me muscle memory and instincts are going to get you a lot further than expensive upgrades.

#9 ·
I have two 1911's that I bought new at outrageously low prices. A Taurus PT1911fs ($399) and a Para stainless Expert ($349.) The Taurus is the most accurate of the two, but both are good shooters and 100% reliable.

With revolvers, I usually want more and more of them, but not 1911's. I look at those expensive Kimbers and Colts and even higher priced Rugers, and I feel no desire to buy one. My two inexpensive 1911's are so good that the expensive ones can't possibly be worth the extra money they want. Not putting down anyone who has one, I'm sure Kimbers and Colts excellent guns, they just aren't anything us bread-and-butter guys have to have.

#11 ·
I am with you 100% Rossi. When you start buying the expensive brands like Kimber, colt, ect or custom made pistols you are paying for a name. I mean yes, I believe whole heartedly that you may get SLIGHTLY better performance out of the big name 1911’s or other custom pistols under ideal circumstances. However under normal circumstances I doubt 99% of folks will see a difference. I do believe MOST weapons exceed MOST peoples shooting ability anyways. On another note if I ever am in an unfortunate situation where I have to use my weapon I would rather the police confiscate something that cost me 3-4 hundred dollars rather than police confiscate something at cost me a grand or more.

Reactions: Rossi
#17 ·
Yuuup.
I shot my ccw qualifications with my pt140g2 at the same time a retired deputy using a kimber ultra light 45.
I had 10 rounds center mass before he had the first 5 down range.

#20 ·
Ive noticed a lot of Glock guys really bash our Taurus' yet they fail to realize when Glock first started they had A LOT of reliability issues.
And ive known a few guys who have gotten lemons, the same goes for really any gun company, there are always lemons, people just like to slam taurus it seems...
My 24/7 g2 has been a flawless shooter reliability wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
It's sad to see a farmer, can't handle his tools any better..................................

#24 ·
I have to go shoot a qualification for the the Texas CHL/LTC next Saturday. I was going to take my 9mm Springfield loaded target. Maybe I'll take my PT809 instead just to see the reaction. Or maybe the PT638? That might even be more fun.

#26 ·
People often fail to understand that it's the shooter, not the gun. Today's handguns, ALL of them, are manufactured to such high standards (because it's cheaper to use computers) that the cheapest can easily compete with the most expensive. I also believe you took unfair advantage of a young un. How much more ammo could you afford to have practiced with due to your "cheap" gun?

#31 ·
It was a real unfair advantage I had. I actually know our sheriff really well, I get to shoot in the shoot houses a lot, and I get to do quite a bit of shooting at work. I do a lot more than just sending bullets down range on paper. I actually shoot and move, and a few of my friends and I have obtained some sim rounds and do real self-defense training. I learned long ago the first time I got to go through a shoot house that shooting a standing target at 25 yards and shooting while moving and clearing rooms while scanning for threats are REALLY different.

#29 ·
My neighbor used to shoot in matches when he was younger he has a real nice S & W 1911 with a trigger that is around two possibly three pounds with absolutely no play he is always ragging me about my pistols especially the triggers. He says he has over $2000.00 in the pistol from back in the seventies and I've no reason to doubt him. But I'm very happy with what I've got I don't even notice the trigger take up they all have great trigger reset I've not shot a lot of pistols and the last 1911 I shot I was still in the army I think the cz 85 I bought is the mos accurate pistol I ever shot but the 92 and the 840 are nothing to sneeze at every trip to the range I get a little more used to them

#41 ·
I have a reason to doubt him. S&W didn't come out with a 1911 until after 2000 sometime....

#33 ·
Reminds me of when I had my buick with a little ole 3.8L V-6 in it. I used to set up races with the V-8 guys that just swore there ain't no way a V-6 was beating their car. After the race was over it was always the same story. "I knew them Grand Nationals were fast but damn!"

#37 ·
I had a glock 17 gen 1. Hated it. Had a lot of FTE issues. Sold it a few years later. I look forward to bringing the PT99 when a lot of shooters will be there. They usually give the "look" when I say Taurus. Then they become real interested when I out shoot their glock or s&w etc.

#40 ·
For the most part I am with you on that. However can the person who is shooting really see the performance difference due to the average persons skill set. If I go to a shooting range, on a nice beautiful day with a target pistol that cost me 2 grand or more, set up a target at 25 yards, take my time on each shot, have really nice ideal conditions. I will probably shoot a closer group than I would with my daily carry. However, we all know if you’re going to have to use your weapon in a real world incident it’s not going to be always be a nice, beautiful day and you are not going to get a chance to line up your shots perfectly.

#42 ·
It all depends on the purpose of your firearms. If your into the beauty of craftsmanship of a gun, your not that conerned with combat effectiveness. If you buy a gun based on history, your more focused on history and the story behind the gun. If your buying for target shooting,my our buying something that is consistent and extreme,y accurate. It's going to cost you! Of course there is self defense. Most guns will not fit into all of the categories listed.

For me, I have no safe queens and only 2 historical firearms. My guns are mainly for a combative situation where I have to fight for my life. I need accuracy but I don't need a bullseye gun. I don't need a work of art either. I need bang every time. That's just me.

#43 ·
it all depends on the purpose of your firearms. If your into the beauty of craftsmanship of a gun, your not that conerned with combat effectiveness. If you buy a gun based on history, your more focused on history and the story behind the gun. If your buying for target shooting,my our buying something that is consistent and extreme,y accurate. It's going to cost you! Of course there is self defense. Most guns will not fit into all of the categories listed.

For me, i have no safe queens and only 2 historical firearms. My guns are mainly for a combative situation where i have to fight for my life. I need accuracy but i don't need a bullseye gun. I don't need a work of art either. I need bang every time. That's just me.
same here this is why i buy what i buy now.

#47 ·
I like guns. All guns. I have a number of different names in my safe including Taurus and Kimber. Guess what - they all shoot as accurate as I am. I would argue that a gun snob is a gun snob regardless of the gun he or she thinks is the best. I'd much rather send round downrange than get into a pissing contest about which is better.

#48 ·
The tool operates only to the ability as the tool operator

#49 ·
I don't understand the mentality of I would rather the police confiscate a $300 weapon instead of a $1000 or $2000 weapon. I carry what I shoot best and practice with the most. I don't care that is more expensive. Odds are I will never need my pistol in a self defense situation, if I do I want the weapon I shoot all the time my families life and my life are worth it. I don't worry about having my pistol confiscated.

#50 ·
I agree, carry what you feel you need to. If you're in a defensive shooting situation, the cost of the handgun will be the least of your worries anyway, depending on where you live. There is another more likely factor besides confiscation. If you live in a state like mine where there are many areas that you cannot legally carry, you might have to leave your gun in your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.