Taurus Firearm Forum banner

TA MAY 2016 Rifle Shootout - "Drop the Shovel, NOW!!"

3K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  darbo 
#1 ·
Font Poster Illustration

TA MAY 2016 Rifle Shootout - "You Heard Me - Drop the Shovel, NOW!!"
'''

It's MAY - One of the BEST MONTHS TO GET TO THE RANGE -- especially an OUTDOOR range!!
The days are getting long (shoot after work!!) and the air is fresh (with pollen!).

Same rules as usual — NO RULES!!!

- Shoot as many targets as you like, as many shots as you like. 25, 50, 100, 200 yds!!!

- There are some good old standards IF you want to try to be in a match up. 5 shots at 25 & 50 yards and 3 shots at 100 (or more) yds. That is only a suggestion - it is NOT a rule!!
Please list your gun, ammo optics etc so we KNOW just what you poked the holes with!!

*** Special Challenges *** are always welcome - have an idea or a grudge match - FEEL FREE to post it up and see who bites!!
C&R, pistol caliber carbines OR, DREAM another up!! We'll try anything SAFE once!!

- New Shooters ALWAYS Welcome!

- It's not a rule - just a fact - a hole in a target is going to count! 6 holes is 6 holes - NO throw aways!

- DEADLINE for submissions is Sunday JUNE 5th - 2016 @ midnight.

SCORING: Similar calibers, optics and distances will be compiled as groups - ALL shooters will be in the monthly 'report'

PLEASE post (in text) any information about gun, ammo, optics and score - THIS makes the report a lot smoother. Cut-and-Paste REALLY helps yours truly!!!

*AND a photo of the gun used (range pics a plus as well!) - we LOVE photos ~!~

A great target measuring program AND it's FREE: On Target v1.10 Download <<< LINK

See less See more
Reactions: dugger1 and darbo
#4 ·
Casper556 suppressed, bench/bipod, 100 yards, target zero ammo, Hornady 55gr. FMJBT, 25.0gr. CFE223 OAL2.230" Ave. 2776 FPS, 10 rounds.
Circle Parallel

Group - 1.447"
Far Shot - .755"
Score - 2.202

Could not get one darn shot to hit the center!

#5 · (Edited)
New gas rings in both ARs.
4 targets with Casper300 at 50 yards.
Always ONE that goes off where it wants to, not where I wanted it to.
Nothing worth scoring, just FYI.
Oh, new ammo I made last night. 150gr. FMJBT, 15.5 gr. H110, OAL 2.018" +- .002", CCI550 Magnum SPP, Lake City 5.56 NATO brass.
Flash Hole enlarged to 7/64". (Saw it somewhere to do it)

Adjusted the scope after the first 2 targets.
Bench/bipod, 10X.

Circle

Circle

Bicycle part Bicycle wheel Circle Parallel

Circle Parallel

Piece of advice. Check your gas rings every 1000 rounds. So says the Internet.
They really don't last forever.

#8 ·
I guess next month I will have to buy a crap load of Match bullets.
Hornady is good, but the 55gr. FMJBT w/cannelure just don't cut it for accuracy.
25gr. IMR4895 OAL 2.200" Ave. 2791 FPS at 50 yards, 10X, bench/bipod, suppressed.
Circle

Cold barrel and suppressor.
Slight scope adjustment.
Circle

ALWAYS one goes off by itself.
Circle

I don't know, it all spread out.
Circle Parallel

Better, but low.
NUTS!

#9 · (Edited)
BAH! Went and shot 4 targets with Casper300. FMJBT not much better. NEED MATCH BULLETS!
Circle

Cold barrel.
Circle

Getting better. Need to adjust scope.
Circle Parallel

BAH! Too much!
Circle Parallel

Still not right, but.....
Need to go right about 2 clicks, but not wasting anymore ammo.

Group - 1.004"
Far Shot - .719"
Score - 1.723

Casper300, bench/bipod, 10X, Hornady 150gr. FMJBT, 15.5gr. H110, OAL 2.180", Ave. 1892 FPS.

Well, it may not be super accurate, but if I can see the target, it ain't getting any closer, don't care how far off it is.
If I can see it, I can hit it.

#10 · (Edited)
Don't see no stinkin rim fire targets up yet??
heres my lil rim fire BB Gun, 17 HMR in a Savage 93 3x 9x 40 Sweet 17 scope.
Hornady A-max 17 grain boolett!
5 shots at 25 yards, sorry thats all that I can get at the range.

Group--------.380
Frm Cnt---- .340

Attachments

Reactions: mingaa and dugger1
#11 · (Edited)
Heres one that was interesting!
the neat thing about the Savage 17 is that when you fire the scope never moves and you just magically see a hole appear in the target.
well as I was shooting my scond taregt , in came a couple of tactical guys, they had a suppressed Ruger Sr-22 and began to shoot it, they we shooting at 7 yards and next lane over from me, nice Gangsta style shootng and videoing.
all the sudden I saw a hole appear in the center target, then a second hole.
they never of course noticed they had shot my target.
When I ran my target In I mentioned that they had been shooting my target, they said Sorry and that was fine but thats the second time this has happened to me, the first was 2 lady police that were shooting to get prepared for qualifications!!
their shots are circled in black

Attachments

Reactions: mingaa and darbo
#13 · (Edited)
Thanks!
the thumb hole is kind of neat.
I have 2 Savage rim fire bolt guns and have been impressed with both as to accuracy the other ones a 22 LR
got ths gun from Dicks of all places and they had it on sale, I had a customer appreciation coupon ad a few Dicks points so I almost stole this 17 caliber.
its a tad heavy to be toting with that Bull barrel with that lil bitty hole in the center!

Attachments

Reactions: dugger1
#14 ·
Well I didn't come up with much of anything good at the range today. But it's the best I have. Even when I had a decent group going it seems I was shooting everything high today.
The plan is to get to the range tomorrow with the AR to see if I can do any better.

Savage Mark II
Bushnell 3-9x40
Federal bulk pack ammo
50 yards
Far shot: .832
Group: .910
Total: 1.742

Circle Font Illustration

Rifle
Black Red

#15 ·
Still a week + to go.

I'll be out Th and Fri if not sooner.

I'm looking for the thread on my AR-9 build. There's a new chapter. After 5 months of trying to get the gun sorted and the seller and manufacturer assistance waning I'm parting out the 9mm pieces. The rest of the gun will become something else NOT blowback powered.

I went back back to "plan A" and picked up a great used Beretta CX4 9mm carbine.
Won it Thurs in a Gun Broker auction and drove to Kansas City round trip yesterday to pick it up.

Made it to the range - Only a short function test (50 rounds of JHP and round nose reloads) in the rain but it feels and looks like a new gun. Here's an unedited pic:
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun

Red dot on and we'll do some shooting!! Tired of wasted time and ammo!!! Yes-Haw!

Reactions: dugger1 and darbo
#16 ·
Still a week + to go.

I'll be out Th and Fri if not sooner.

I'm looking for the thread on my AR-9 build. There's a new chapter. After 5 months of trying to get the gun sorted and the seller and manufacturer assistance waning I'm parting out the 9mm pieces. The rest of the gun will become something else NOT blowback powered.

I went back back to "plan A" and picked up a great used Beretta CX4 9mm carbine.
Won it Thurs in a Gun Broker auction and drove to Kansas City round trip yesterday to pick it up.

Made it to the range - Only a short function test (50 rounds of JHP and round nose reloads) in the rain but it feels and looks like a new gun. Here's an unedited pic:
View attachment 146305
Red dot on and we'll do some shooting!! Tired of wasted time and ammo!!! Yes-Haw!
I certainly am glad you were able to finally find a CX4! I know the build gave you some serious headaches! The CX is just a ton of fun, I know you will like it. Congrats!

#17 ·
Crazy damn Italians building something like this!!-----:funsign:
Next thing you know you will be dumping them Glocks and shooting Tanfoglios!!!

Reactions: darbo
#19 ·
Now why did you do that to me??
looks a lot like the Hunter model, but I thought they only made that in 45 acp and 10 MM?

#20 ·
Yeah - could be, I was moving kind of fast! The Witness comes in longelide 38 Super IIRC - you could go broke on interchangeable slides with that one!

#21 · (Edited)
Yippie! 2 days in a row at the range! I actually had some trouble with my scoped M&P Sport yesterday so couldn't shoot targets with it. When I got him I looked into what was causing the issue with the Sport. I was thinking it was something I did while working on it a few weeks back. I messed around with it and couldn't find anything wrong with the work I had done.

Then I saw it! I know there will be dissenting comments but Tetris gun grease will never touch another one of my firearms. Yea I know, I applied it wrong blah, blah, blah. But not really. Regardless of application I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to turn into hard brown crud that literally inhibited parts from moving freely. Anyway the gun is free of Tetris so on to fun stuff!

First target is:
50 yards
S&W M&P Sport
Bushnell 3-12x40 scope
23gr. Accurate 2230
X-Treme 55gr. FMJ
Far shot: .539
Group: .848
Total: 1.387
I was shooting a little left yesterday too.

Text Font Circle Illustration Rectangle

100 yard 5 shots ( I always want to shoot 5 shot groups! )
S&W M&P Sport
Bushnell 3-12x40 scope
23gr Accurate 2230
X-Treme 55gr FMJ
Far shot: 1.113
Group: 1.393
Total: 2.506

Shooting sport Shooting Circle Recreation Graphic design

100 yard 3 shots
S&W M&P Sport
Bushnell 3-12x40 scope
23gr Accurate 2230
X-Treme 55gr. FMJ
Far shot: .569
Group: .750
Total: 1.319

Circle Illustration

Last one!
200 yards I was just getting warmed up on the 200yd range and the rains came. :( That was the end of the range day.
S&W M&P Sport
Bushnell 3-12x40 scope
26gr Winchester 748
Sierra 65gr Gameking
Far shot: 1.490
Group: 2.478
Total: 3.968

Circle Shooting sport Recreation Shooting Target archery

Forgot photo of rifle used. The rifle now has the MOE+ pistol grip too, much nice than stock.
Gun Firearm Rifle Assault rifle Trigger

#22 · (Edited)
This does not count!

Got a new target load for Casper300 for 50 yards anyway, need to try at 100.
Hornady Match 30 CAL .308" 168gr. BTHP, 16.0gr. H110, OAL 2.160" LC NATO 5.56 brass cut down full length sized 300 AAC Blackout.
Cold barrel shots always hitting high, that's why this don't count, just for FYI.
Bench/bipod, 10X.

Circle

I can only say that the Chrono was screwing up and only recorded the first 3 shots, then constant ERR3.
1896 FPS
Ave. 1923 FPS so I just marked them 1900+ FPS
Might be dust on the sensors, sunlight wrong angle, sun shades not doing their job, I don't know.
Cleaned it up and will try again later.

#23 ·
Yikes - maybe you want to start with two shots OFF paper before moving to the bullseye?!?! :eek:

#25 ·
OK. Have to start over on this, couldn't edit it so deleted it.

Fixed Chrono problem. Cleaned sensor lenses with IPA.
Erected beach umbrella over Chrono for shade.
Temp 90° and 50% Humidity for H.I. of 94.6°.
T-shirt soaked after only 10 minutes outside.
Got good Chrono data. Set Chrono at 5' instead of 10'.
Same setup and ammo.

Circle

Group - 1.682"
Far Shot - 1.270"
Score - 2.952

1875 FPS
Average 1909.4 FPS

Circle

Group - 1.784"
Far Shot - 1.010"
Score - 2.794

1927 FPS
Average 1934.6 FPS

10 round average 1922 FPS.

#26 ·
300 BLK 50 & 100 yds

Text Circle Font Audio equipment Technology

50 yds bipod 5 shot
Anderson 300 BLK

Brunton 3-9x40 scope
Nosler 110 gr Varmageddon, Win 296
group .731"
far shot .581"
SCORE 1.312

Circle Font

100 yds bipod 3 shot
Anderson 300 BLK

Brunton 3-9x40 scope
Nosler 110 gr Varmageddon, Win 296
group .949"
far shot .569"
SCORE 1.518

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Brass Metal

I almost forgot how much I love these little blasters! :)

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Machine gun

#28 · (Edited)
mingaa, mingaa, mingaa. You just HAD to shoot the Varmageddons, didn't you?
Well, I can play that game, too. Ammo as in previous post.
Casper300, bench,bipod, 10X, 50 yards. CenterPoint 4-16X40mm.

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Machine gun

Circle

OOPS! Wrong Target. First one from cold barrel, adjusting scope.

Here We Go! If it WASN'T for that ONE shot!

Circle Design

Group - .763"
Far Shot - .573"
Score - 1.336

"Missed it by THAT much!"

Maybe I'll try again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.