Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Why I Think "Licensed to Carry" Badges Are Stupid

3K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  Lmstncwby 
#1 ·
This may have already been posted in another thread--if so, someone point me and I'll gladly go there to rant.

Churchgoer killed in fight over seat at Sunday service - NY Daily News

But this is why I think those mail-order "Licensed to Carry" Badges are some of the most stupid wastes of money in the world. I can't think of any real circumstance in which flashing a fake badge is going to do anyone any good.

I can't image a police officer being favorably impressed in the slightest--unless you're actually saying, "I'm a cop" when you flash it, it's not going to buy you anything from another cop for a split second (and if you did say "I'm a cop" it might get you a thump on the head when the real cop gets a look at the badge).

And as this situation shows, flashing it to civilians means nothing, either.

All it seems to do is make some idiots think they have some kind of authority with a gun that they don't have. Jeez. I halfway think there should be an automatic system that raises a red flag whenever someone buys one of those fake badges. It ought to count as an arrest.

See less See more
#8 ·
I suspect he'd done it other places besides that church, or the ushers would probably have been on him as well. Yeah, in that circumstance with someone behaving irrationally but without weapons--and was, in fact, calming down certainly leave it to the ushers.

Reactions: mjadams61
#5 · (Edited)
Everytime someone mentions those things, this is what goes through my head: :D :D :D

#7 ·
#6 ·
It sounds like the victim was mentally deranged (or demon possessed) dropping F-Bombs in church. Maybe some tolerate that in a house of worship, but we don't. You do that in our church and you receive a beautiful set of silver charm bracelets and free ride to the local Graybar Hilton. We have police security and, as they put it: "When we play Cowboys and Indians, the cowboys always win!". As for the shooter, he should have let the police handle it.

As for badges for CHL (or LTC) holders: that is the stupidest thing I can imagine. To me, it announces to the world you are a moron and/or a Mall Ninja who should probably just stay home and watch movies.

#12 ·
If you feel the need to wear a badge, then take the pay cut and become a cop. Don't be a wannabe or pretender.

#15 ·
Badges are specifically outlawed in New Mexico's concealed carry law. Make sense to me, and even if/when we go to constitutional carry, they ought to keep it illegal. Too close to impersonating an LEO.

Reactions: jtg452
#18 ·
I'd love to see some guy with one of those in a supermarket...:wink:...I'd hand him my bags and point him to my truck.

#27 ·
Yeah, badges are stupid!
I'm more of a sash person, sashes are cool!

Total fashionista!
Just don't get all tangled up in that thing WHEN you draw!!!!

#21 ·
Reactions: rhuber and mingaa
#23 ·
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Re-introducing Gecko45 - The "Mall Ninja"
That is some funny stuff and I've run into people like that in various chat/forum settings. I never hung around long enough to see that much BS dialogue though. "Mall Ninja" has some serious problems with reality. I get the impression that people like him know so much about the equipment because they actually believe their own stories and spend a lot of time researching and learning the terms, specs, acronyms, and jargon they think impresses other people. Fortunately for civilization, they usually never get their hands on any of the things they talk about and never get into the position they dream of having.

They're stuck somewhere between Baron Munchausen and Walter Mitty.

Reactions: ncfarmer
#28 ·
I just look at people that feel the need to do such like I look at Fire department Buffs and police ride along groups.
they are looking for something that they don't want to work for to accomplish.
Heck whats the difference in having a carry badge and having a full loaded AR15 with thermal scope, bi -pod, 35-50 round magazines, all the tactical stuff and not ever using it for anything but shoot paper?.
heck if that's what you want then be at it.
I am still going to shake my head and smile but thats just me.

Reactions: jtg452 and mingaa
#32 ·
The difference and the problem is that the people who buy these fake badges intend to actually use them at some point, just like the guy did in this story...but there is no rational use for them. There's no use that isn't going to get him into shizzle in the real world.

Reactions: ncfarmer
#34 ·
Whoa! I have a big issue with that story!

But to stick with the thread topic, this line deserves to be stupid-shamed all day long:

Trujillo, a design engineer for installing aircraft systems, said he does wear a badge on a chain around his neck that identifies him as a licensed concealed-handgun carrier.

“I wear it as a deterrent more than anything,” he said. “So if someone is up to something shady, it gives them something to think about, like maybe I won’t do this.”
He's in Texas...if he wants to display a visible deterrent, he should open carry.

#35 ·
I don't see any difference in OC or LTC badge.

#38 ·
IMHO CCW badges are just stupid. You are certainly opening up a situation where you COULD be charged with impersonating a LEO. Kinda like the stories we've all heard of the new young recruit, wearing SGT. stripes and Major oak leafs.....saying he was a SGT. MAJOR..duhhhhh.

Reactions: Lmstncwby
#41 ·
.....sooooooo are you guys saying I should not be wearing my Concealed Carry Permit Badge on my left chest for everyone to see??? I'm so confused on this. :busted_cop: How about that cool flash red light on my head? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.