Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Cheap (Budget) AK/AR/SKS. What to buy? Need two.

1K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Chefc14 
#1 ·
We know the next panic is coming. Looking to buy 2 budget AR/AK/SKS or whatever. You know whatever the government is trying to "ban". No preference on caliber. Never owned one and not looking to shoot it either. Looking to make an "investment" and hoping to sell them for a profit later.

Looking to stay in the sub-500 range each; as that is what the wifoid will let me spend.

That being said.. what do you recommend? The Ruger AR looks nice. If I can find one I'd be over it.

Thanks.

#2 ·
If you want to buy for resale, you need to get brand names. Not home built units. Ruger, DPMS, etc.

#6 · (Edited)
A panicked first time buyer will buy anything as long as it's all black.

#3 ·
Agreed, for resale buy brand names. If AR is what you are looking at then the M&P Sport is a good choice. I have the older version of the M&P and it has been great, take a look at the M&P II. I think the Ruger is a good choice too.

Back during the rush I saw the M&P Sport selling for as much as $900. It may have been higher than that but I wasn't in the market at that time.

#8 ·
It will be a cheaper investment to buy stripped lower receivers and AR mags. Even buy a handful of 80%lowers. They will easily double your money. You can find the Anderson Manufacturing stripped lowers for around $40-$50.

Watch for these to come back in stock. Usually run $6.99. D&H 5.56 30rd Aluminum Magazine
I know it says 5.56 - will those work pretty much across any AR platform? And do the mags take the .223 round?

#11 ·
I bought a DPMS Oracle recently from BassPro. I wouldn't normally plan to buy a firearm there because their prices are generally at the high end.
In this case, their price was slightly better than my LGS at $580. With their credit card, I got 10% off. I had a $200 gift card using my credit card points. $370 out of pocket.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Stripped lower receiver for $50.
Lower receiver with a parts kit/fire group for $100.
Complete lowers will run more - add stock, spring, buffer etc.

Id look at some of the 6 or 10 pack discounted stripped lowers pointed at serious builders.

BUT Shifty?!?! You can buy a heck of a deer rifle NOW for what you are proposing - scope and ammo too.
In your proposed plan you will be selling to a high market BUT you will also be buying in a high market!! :eek:

Get your rifle now AND 3-4 lower receivers and wait to recover your money. That's the PlAyEr move!!! :cool:

#19 ·
#20 ·
Been a while but I have seen 10 packs of stripped lowers for $29.99 each. Depending on how your FFL handles it that could be a heck of a deal.

Reactions: shiftace and mingaa
#21 ·
Not sure, I'd want to go the route of the 10 stripped lowers. Might be a bit of a hassle unloading them - especially in rural MN. 2 or 3, maybe I can finagle something. 10..? ? Not so sure.

#25 ·
I paid $100 for my sks in 1991. I think the going rate for them now is between $300 and $500 depending on shape and where it's from. Not a bad increase in price considering I've used it to bring home a lot of deer over those years. An investment depends on what you want to get out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.