Taurus magazines - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Taurus magazines

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I ordered a 12 round mag for a PT138. The shape of the mag is identical to the 638 but I did have to cut a new notch in the side at the proper place for the magazine catch. The 12 round mag extends below the bottom of the grip about a 1/2 inch but it works good enough for range work. I have ordered the 10 round mag for the 138 (13801-pro) which looks to be shorter. I am assuming that I will have to cut a new notch in it as well but hope that it will fit better into the bottom of the grip. Notch placement is critical. Too high and the slide will not hold open on the last round. Too low and the slide tab will not clear the follower and pick up the next round.
    glenwolde likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3132 times
    Taurus' problem is too many parts. They seem to intentionally engineer their
    products with as few interchangeable parts as possible. This creates the
    after-market problem.

Takes a lot of money to make dies to stamp magazines. What is your return
    on investment going to be? If you are going to make Taurus mags you are going
    to have to charge a lot to recoup your investment quickly. The mags you are
    making most likely will not fit another model so the number you're going to
    sell will likely be quite low. Once demand drops, you're done.

To be sure the next generation of the model you have will be
    re-engineered from the ground up with an entire series of new parts
    for Taurus to keep perpetually on backorder.

All the Best,
    D. White
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    16214 times
    YEP!
    CZ for example a CZ -75 mag will fit all the full framed CZ in the caliber, plus all the SP-01 and the special order and custom CZ build on the 75 frame.
    the CZ 75 Compact mags fit the PCR, the P-01 and the all the 75 Compacts, custom guns etc.
    even most odd balls can have the floor plate changed out (5 bucks) and they fit the gun in question.
    now there area few odd balls like the rami but basically you never find a mag that's not available from either CZ or Mec-gar.
    Most internal parts/ sights etc are the same way.
    RustyYoungMan likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15594 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhh..........I wanted a spare magazine for my Taurus PT 638, a gun discontinued here in the US a couple of years ago. I went to the Taurus site, ordered one, and it arrived four days later.
    I did the same. Then tried it a year later and they were nowhere to be found. A year after that there were plenty. Now they seem to be disappearing again. I'm betting that's it...they won't be back.

Here's Midway's available Taurus mags...

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...3D1%26Ntpr%3D1
    Definition of clip
    : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    15594 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jayschubox View Post
    I ordered a 12 round mag for a PT138. The shape of the mag is identical to the 638 but I did have to cut a new notch in the side at the proper place for the magazine catch. The 12 round mag extends below the bottom of the grip about a 1/2 inch but it works good enough for range work. I have ordered the 10 round mag for the 138 (13801-pro) which looks to be shorter. I am assuming that I will have to cut a new notch in it as well but hope that it will fit better into the bottom of the grip. Notch placement is critical. Too high and the slide will not hold open on the last round. Too low and the slide tab will not clear the follower and pick up the next round.
    Welcome to the forum. This is not clear to me. What gun are you trying to get a mag for? I wouldn't think the 138 would be the same as the 638, but maybe I'm not thinking straight.
    Definition of clip
    : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    7905 times
    As the PT638 is no longer being imported here, and they were never built here, I'm pretty sure that Taurus feels no compunction to stock them in America. They weren't, again, a big seller, and that has to be taken into consideration.

The S&W SW380 is a case in point by an American manufacturer. They don't stock ANY parts for it. Try to get parts for an HK VP70 (Z), as well.

Taurus, like most other manufacturers designs many of their guns as "clean sheet", with the goal being a certain size, capacity, and shape. If, as some seem to think, you are forced to use existing magazines, then you are limited in design abilities.

In the end, we'll have to see what the new management decides to do. I'm pretty certain, though, that they aren't going to decide to make discontinued magazines available in bulk.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I used a PT138 12 round magazine for my PT638 with the modifications that I explained. I did order a 10 round mag but the length of that mag was too short to go up into the grip to the proper height to function.
    glenwolde likes this.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    19775 times
    It has been my experience that Taurus mags can be hard to find and vastly over priced. This I blame directly on Taurus.
    FreeInAZ and RustyYoungMan like this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    19775 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    *Snip*

Taurus, like most other manufacturers designs many of their guns as "clean sheet", with the goal being a certain size, capacity, and shape. If, as some seem to think, you are forced to use existing magazines, then you are limited in design abilities.
    One of the best thing that could happen to Taurus, IMHO, would be to have their design abilities "limited". Attempting to dangle the latest shiny object in front of customers only works well when dealing with people with limited attention spans. Again I point to how the American automotive industry almost self destructed trying to offer something for everyone, even if it was just an extra piece of chrome around the headlights, and neglected producing a quality product in the process. Toyota and Volkswagen saw an opportunity and buried Detroit in their own tooling.
    Last edited by CWB; 01-30-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    2738 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    It has been my experience that Taurus mags can be hard to find and vastly over priced. This I blame directly on Taurus.
    Compare them to Sig or FN mags and they are reasonable. It depends on the model though. The difference comes in the line that have Mec-Gar mags available or the Promag versions. Taurus availability for the older models is bad, some of the more current are available.

Designing a new mag for every comparable gun is unnecessary. If you look at most they are very similar in size and appearance for a given caliber.

Unfortunately for us Taurus won't see the aftermarket support, guns that are used most heavily by law enforcement and military will see the goodies just because that's where the dollar potential lies. Look at what's available for Glock.

Taurus PT809
    Taurus PT111 Millennium G2
    Ruger 10/22
    H&R Pardner Protector 12 gauge
    Stevens Model 66B
    Gone but not forgotten
    Remington 870 Express 12 gauge
    Smith & Wesson 686 6" S.S. 357 Magnum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links