Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Yankee Marshal has a negligent discharge

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Cariwine 
#1 ·
Hangfire with a buddy's hand load. Good safety awareness video.

#2 ·
Very lucky he didn't loose more than hearing.

Reactions: silverstring
#7 · (Edited)
Had a hang fire one time with a Flint Lock rifle. Followed instructions from instructor behind me. After what seemed like forever holding that rifle up he had me place the rifle in the wood support and step back. About 3 seconds later the rifle went off and put a nice hole in the plastic roof cover over the shooting stations. I was 13 and have never forgot that. I always wait the 30 seconds on misfires. Never had another hang fire after that.

#8 · (Edited)
Reminds me of an episode of Barney Miller in which Wojciehowicz arrests a bank robber who tried to blast the safe open with an RPG. They couldn't question him because he couldn't hear them.

Never had a hang fire in any gun I ever shot.

If I remember right, in the Navy if we had a hang fire on one of the 5" guns, I think they tried to fire it a couple times electrically, and again mechanically, then they waited 30 minutes (in a non combat situation). THEN they evacuated the mount and handling room, and ask for a volunteer to carry the powder case out and throw it over the side.

#9 ·
Of note here is the benefit of overlapping safety practices, such as always keeping the muzzle pointed downrange even when you're sure the gun is empty and you certainly don't have your finger near the trigger.

#11 ·
The first time I heard that phrase was on a British program: "He's got a face like a smacked ass."

#13 ·
He has now lost a good chunk of his hearing.... PERMANENTLY.

Once broken, the cillia will not heal. The ringing will get better, but never go away. Also, the unbroken cillia are now weaker and more easily broken by lesser sound energy. As that happens, the ringing will gradually get worse and worse until he's as bad off as I am.

Heavy magnum = plugs + muffs. just plugs or just muffs will still allow damaging energy in to the ears when shooting heavy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.